How would you know if a Cut is infected?

I was wondering how can you tell if a cut or wound is infected? Would you feel sick? What would the cut look like? Would the wound have pus coming from it or hurt really bad?
@bellis716 (4806)
If a wound has pus oozing from it, it is infected, but you should have warnings before it gets to that stage. If it gets more sore instead of less s0o, or gets red and angry looking, it is probably infected. It is best to prevent an infection by keeping the wound clean and covered. Listen to Grandma. Prevention is the best medicine.
Thanks for everyones helpful responses. I dont think my wound is infected it looks like its healing.
@deebomb (15323)
Yes seeing pus in a cut or wound is a very good sign that it is infected. If it is red around the edges that too is a sign of infection. If there are red streaks shooting out from the cut or wound it is time to see a DR because the infection is spreading. Yes infections are painful when touches.
@deebomb (15323)
Thanks for the BR
@snow_one (202)
the answer to that is simple. hydrogen proxide. it will burn but it will clean and help get that nasty incected area rid of bacteria. another is absent salt. it will do the same thing
Yes I use both of those.
U r right.U hv listed the symptoms yourself.
@derek_a (10902)
If I cut myself with even a small cut, and don't clean the wound quickly, it always gets infected. I know it has become infected because it is painful to touch and has become slightly raised around the area of the wound, and is turning red. Because I have poor blood circulation, for some reason my skin infects very easily. I always try to clean the wound with surgical spirits and dress it as soon as I feel I have been cut. - Derek
A cut or wound is infected if its red, swelling and really hurts. A pus may also come out of the infected wound. If ever that happens, squeeze the wound to let the pus come out, clean the wound with hydrogen peroxide and put a bandage on it so that it will not susceptible to dirt.
@lilybug (21148)
If a cut is infected it could be as little as looking red and puffy. If it is throbbing or there in puss they yes, it is infected. I am not sure about feeling sick unless it is a really big cut or a really bad infection.
@winterose (39921)
red around the wound, pus, and some infections are on the inside and you don't even know.
@savypat (20247)
If it becomes red and inflamed, hot and painful you can bet it's infected. Pus comes later.
@ElicBxn (60834)
well, if pus is coming out - it is infected if it is swollen, red around it and spreading, pretty good sign it is infected now, it if itches, its healing it can be a little swollen, sore and red around the edges, but not spreading, and that's a pretty good sign its just healing
yeah if its infected it will be red and inflamed it will also be tender and sore and usually there will be some sort of gross discharge clean with peroxide 3 times daily and keep covered until infection goes away
@deejean06 (1953)
Hi moneymommy...If you even have to ask that question there's probably something very wrong. I think you would have pain and swelling at the very least. You might also have pus coming out which would be the cause of the swelling. You might want to see a doctor. Good luck with whatever you have.