Wow, this is awesome news!

@Canellita (12058)
I just saw on the news that the government is now allowing families to make the decision as to whether or not the return of the remains of a loved one killed in action will be covered by the media or not. So much is sensationalized on television and sometimes the reporters are really insensitive. I think it's great the families can decide whether or not to have a camera crew there documenting their private pain and asking stupid questions. This report took place at an airport where a flag draped coffin was photographed from a distance and the coverage was not at all instrusive. It's about time!
I don't think it should be a question. I don't think there should be media coverage. Maybe a local news feature human interest type story about a local hero or whatever but generalized coverage without any focus on the human being in the coffin or the human beings mourning them is not okay. I've noticed something. I wasn't born yet when Vietnam was the first war to be televised but I understand the coverage was intense, more or less unedited and brutal. Desert Storm in the 90's was everywhere. Almost every night one time slot or another was taken up by coverage of the "crisis." It wasn't as extensive as the Vietnam coverage but it was still pretty hard to escape. This ...whatever it is...is nearly invisible. As far as the actual war/conflict/police action/whatever. There is the coverage of the grieving families and if something big happens....a convoy is attacked, a village is bombed, etc.... then it makes the news but for the most part I get the feeling that we are being spoon-fed stories of missing toddlers, corrupt businessmen and promiscuous teen queens so that the Middle East, and the soldiers who are there, become light years away. Not that I want to be dodging televised war coverage like we were in the 90's but at the same time I don't want to be kept in the dark either.
@Canellita (12058)
That 24 hour coverage in desert storm was almost oppressive. People actually complained to the major networks to get them to let up.
@enola1692 (3325)
yes I saw that to an have to agree with you its great lets give our returning soilders the respect they earn for what they gave our country
@Canellita (12058)
After I saw that and posted the discussion I learned that this is the first time the media has been allowed to document this kind of event in several years.