Hand Santizers Dangerous

United States
April 6, 2009 8:33pm CST
I just received an email from my cousin and it is alittle scary....please read: It stated: A father was called to the school for his daughter being very Very sick, couldn't sit in the chair and was larhgetic. The father rushed her to the ER and done all the tests, x-rays he could think of, found nothing. They were sending her St. Marys Hospital. After a phone call from the teacher asking the children what she ate, done that day, etc.. did a child say, they seen her licking her hands after using the hand santizer. At St. Mary's the father told them to do blood tests and after strange looks they did......her blood level was 85%, 6 hours later. They would hate to see what it would have been at the first ER. lethal for a child. That is like drinking something 120 proof. Research shows that it only takes 3 squirts to be lethal to a toddler. For all you mothers, grandparents, fathers, siblings, etc. Please watch using hand santizers, with children being curious and everything being "flavored" these days.
9 people like this
17 responses
@mflower2053 (3227)
• United States
7 Apr 09
wow. I knew it was dangerous b/c a kid used it and was lighting fireworks and his hand caught on fire. I didn't even think of a child licking it but should of known kids put alot of things in their mouth and young ones put their hands in their mouth even more. Its just better to use good old fashion soap and water.
• United States
7 Apr 09
its scary that a kid lighting fireworks let alone having his hand burn with the two combined. i hope he is alright. yep, old fashion ways are starting to look much better than the 'new' ways. :)
@mikeysmom (2092)
• United States
7 Apr 09
i heard this story before. it is really sad what they put in the things we put on our bodies and we need to try to be more aware and to find alternatives whenever possible. the only problem with that is that the better quality brands like organic and 100 % natural are way too expensive for most people to afford including myself. i only keep hand sanitizer for emergencies like if there is a water outage or in my purse for when we are out and about.
• United States
7 Apr 09
exactly, you would think if the stuff is made organic or "natural" it shouldn't be so expensive. I try to buy that whenever possible but it is hard, especially for those low income :(
@siZidni (1860)
• Indonesia
7 Apr 09
this is really scary. i never thought hand santizer wil harm kids. may i know how old is the daughter who's sick because of that? and what was the brand of the hand santizers she applied on her hand?
• United States
7 Apr 09
i have always told friends neighbors no to use that stuff if you have kids cause it is achol based..and to new moms out there..its in babywipes too and also you clean everything the own with bleach...well guess what bleach cant kill a child faster than falling from a high chair...please stop using these ..use nothing with achol base or bleach base...use vinger & water...and NEVER LET YOUR CHILDREN CHEW ON YOUR CAR KEYS...they are a LEADBASE key element...
• United States
7 Apr 09
it is scary because back in the days.....even though i am still young I remember letting my son play with my car keys, having him crawl around on the floor, play in his high chair, and never worried about what kind of paint is on my walls. it is amazing how fast the world can change. i still clean my house with bleach but my son is older now also. i have cleaned my windows alot with vinegar and water....natural remedies are the best. just looked at what our mothers, grandmothers used. they didn't have the things we do and we all grew up just fine. :))
• United States
7 Apr 09
That is something that all parents need to know so thanks for sharing. I have a bottle in all rooms of my house bc I have an infant and a toddler so I need to keep my hands some what clean from the germs. But never in a million years would I have ever thought about what it would do to my child or children for that matter if they actually ate.
@laydee (12814)
• Philippines
7 Apr 09
Wow! That's something the everyone truly should be warned about. Tsk tsk. With all the things we are afraid about like germs, we are slowly making our kids more vulnerable to other problems. Tsk tsk. I for one am not fond of using hand sanitizers, there's not point in them actually. If we must want to keep our kids away from germs, then wash their hands with soap and water. Plus, too much of this would only weaken the child's antibodies anyway.
• United States
7 Apr 09
yes, we still want our children to be around "germs" so their immune system can become stronger. (if that makes any sense) we don't want to keep everything santizied and they become sick all the time for not having their system built up, yet we also want to protect them. I agree with you wholeheartedly....
@kawalnarang (1095)
• Trinidad And Tobago
7 Apr 09
oh ya ,, I never thought so ,Thanks for the info dear
• United States
7 Apr 09
your welcome
• United States
7 Apr 09
Thank you for sharing this. This sounds very dangerous. A parent has to keep constant vigil on their children. Espeically the very young ones.
• United States
7 Apr 09
your welcome, something to keep our eyes and ears opened to.
@mtdewgurl74 (18120)
• United States
8 Apr 09
I am very glad you posted this because I use hand sanitizer and I make the kids use it also. So it is a goo thing I know this information now.. I will certainly be keeping a closer eye for when they use it now. They like to use it alot.
@jayb88 (43)
• United States
7 Apr 09
I dont use hand sanitizer that often, but I know my children use it at school, especially at the pre-school. I also know that my 4 year old is a very very curious kid and loves to lick the wierdest things (yes i saw him lick the front door) eww...but he said he wanted to see its taste lol. So yes I'll definitely mention this to my kids school. i wonder if they are aware. Thank you for this post!!
@psyche49f (2511)
• Philippines
7 Apr 09
That's truly scaring especially if you have little kids around the house...using hand sanitizers is therefore dangerous. It should be kept out of children's reach, or that they should be educated on its use, especially the older ones. I'm grateful for this sharing as this will help prevent similar problems--the one that you shared. Cheers!
@Udxero (11)
• United States
7 Apr 09
I Am a father of to little girls.. and i use alot of hand sanitizers sence well.. i'm kind a a germaphobe lol.. any how.. yeah i didn't know this.. i appreciate this bit of info.. thanks for helping me keep my children safe!!!! oh and as a random fact... most of you probly already know but maybe 5% don't lol... hand sanitizer is flamable 0.o o.0
@wildcat48 (782)
• United States
7 Apr 09
First of all,i want to thank you for bring this up ,my little girl use hand santizers at school all the time.
@TazRes (827)
• United States
7 Apr 09
Wow! That's scary - Thank you so much for this information, I'll tell my friends and family.
@skyla26 (285)
• Philippines
7 Apr 09
nice to know this kind of discussion.. i dont know that sanitizers is dangerous to our health...
• United States
7 Apr 09
i learned of this last week on the show the drs kids are not supose to use it because a little drop to them is like drinking 3 shots of vodka , its scarry , i keep mine up and dont let my children any where near it. i hope the kid is doing okay.
@ralphido (843)
• India
7 Apr 09
hey.. great post.. and a very scary one too... will definitely keep an eye out for the sanitizers..