Obama's entreaty to Islam surprises Muslims

It may surprise Muslims but it does not surprise me. This further gives credence to my belief that welcoming Islam to the USA has been first and foremost in Obama's promise of change. Only can pray that that the American people can see just what a danger this is to the USA. He stated ""The United States has been enriched by Muslim Americans," Yes we sure have 9/11 and terrorists comes to mind!! Your comments? President Obama's speech to the Turkish parliament Monday left Muslims across the United States stunned by the dramatic way he continues to build bridges with their brethren. "He is uniquely qualified among all the American presidents to really reach out and change the mood of the relationship between America and the Muslim world," said Akbar Ahmed, a former Pakistani ambassador and now a professor of Islamic studies at American University in Washington, D.C. "He's the first president to talk about respect for the Muslim world." In his speech, Obama recast an often adversarial U.S. relationship with Muslims into other terms - referring to friends or friendship 10 times. It was the most significant in a series of gestures to reach out to the Muslim community since his inaugural address, when he called for a "new way forward" with Muslims "based on mutual interest and mutual respect." "The United States is not, and will never be, at war with Islam," Obama said to applause, according to a White House transcript of Monday's speech. "In fact, our partnership with the Muslim world is critical, not just in rolling back the violent ideologies that people of all faiths reject, but also to strengthen opportunity for all its people." Obama also tapped into his own unique heritage, which was a lightning rod in the campaign. Republicans used his middle name, Hussein, as a slur to suggest he was anti-American. At the time, Obama did relatively little outreach to Muslims, most notably not visiting a mosque while going to the sanctuaries of other faiths. Embracing heritage But on Monday, Obama, a Christian, continued a post-election pattern of emphatically embracing his heritage, which includes a Muslim father and stepfather and a childhood lived partly in Indonesia, a Muslim nation. "The United States has been enriched by Muslim Americans," he said in the speech. "Many other Americans have Muslims in their families or have lived in a Muslim-majority country - I know, because I am one of them."
@winterose (39917)
what about the 5 billion good muslims leaving in the usa, your opinion is very racist,
@winterose (39917)
sorry the words was supposed to be living in the usa not leaving it, these are good hard working people not terrorists, timothy mcveigh was a white man he bombed the oklahoma government building he was a terrorist should we now call every white american a terrorist too? stop blaming a whole people for the acts of a 1% of a community who do not represent the people they go against what the people are all about.
You have a lot to learn before you post such idiotic comment... You said 5 BILLION Ha ha ha wow did you show your ignorance .....The current 2008 US population estimates at about 305,473,867 Have you ever lived in a Muslim country as a non Muslim woman? I have so I can assure you even a Canadian would not like 5 billion Muslims in their country it is not their work ethics I am speaking of but their religious laws towards non Muslims. You need to understand what a racist is before you accuse me of being one. A Muslim is not a race it is an adherent to a religious belief (Islam) so the correct insult would be a bigot. So please educate yourself before you try to insult me. Ignorance is not an excuse. So in other words I am not a racist.
Thought I would help you out: Muslim Populations, Mid-2005 United States 4,745,200 http://www.prb.org/Journalists/FAQ/Muslims.aspx
@Lakota12 (42681)
oh my now I am sick! I just knew he would turn this way. and I now am beginning to think he needs oimpeachment and soohn! Yeah we do have muslims here as we do have all kinds of religions and The ones that have made themselves Americans. Might not be time bombs all we can do it hope that the ones here are for America and Americans. I just see thqat he is tryin to ruin us!
You and me both Lakota. When he was running for president he kept his Muslim background low key now he is bragging about his close affinity to Islam.
@Lakota12 (42681)
yup he is grrrrrrrrr
@winterose (39917)
there are approximately 5 billion muslims living in the usa, your opinion to me is very racist.
You comment accusing Whiteheather of racism is moronic. She made no racist comments. Calling people racist seems to be the last resort of the incompetent.
Let's not forget that he has showing the islamic world his subservience by BOWING deeply to the king of Saudi Arabia (and not any other royal, and he was the ONLY leader to do this, and his bow was not returned by the king which means both 0bama and the king do not see our President as an equal but as a subordinate).
I'm sorry I forgot to post the link: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/04/06/MNGV16TK3L.DTL I cannot understand why people to not realize in how much jeopardy he is placing out country with his kiss a$$ Muslim policy.
@MsTickle (24994)
This was in the news here in Australia the other day. At first, I thought, oh dear, not good. The second and third time I heard it I changed my mind. All Muslims are not terrorists. I think he is doing the right thing in my humble opinion. I'm not pro Obama but I think I see where he is going with this.