Do you think it's safe?

@LittleMel (14059)
Lately I noticed more shoppers do not want to pay in advance. They want the items to be shipped to their address and then they will pay as they receive them. Now I know the economy condition isn't that appealing for shopping, people don't want to lose money being cheated by dishonest seller. But then again, how would the seller knows that they will pay upon receiving the items? What if they give wrong address, seller has to pay double shipping fee, to the address and return (if it's a fake address)? I never ship anything COD for that reason, on ebay or my physical shop. Maybe some people are honest or maybe they do have money, but if that's the case, what would be the reason of not paying in advance? Especially if they can get the money back if they don't receive the items as ordered? Also, if they don't feel like spending money right away, then why do they even go shopping in the beginning? Have you ever sold anything COD? Do you think it's safe?
@fasyahime (634)
really..i never do that..i just pay full to the item that i love ,but i always bit picky on what kind of seller i plan to shop with,i choose only the high rating,instead of newbies..the result,all item that i had paid arrive safely at my home..i am intend to keep shopping with the same seller again in future..
@LittleMel (14059)
true. on ebay it's safer to check out seller's rating although things can still turn out unexpected
@LittleMel (14059)
yeah not everyone is that lucky good to know though that you got the money back
@prinzcy (5082)
I don't the idea of paying half the amount first and the rest when goods arrive. We sellers may not see the rest of payment if we do that. Besides, do they pay like that in real shop? No, they pay full amount. So what different will it be? If they doesn't feel safe, then don't shop there.
@Pigglies (9340)
Some businesses allow people to pay like that. And then they get ripped off and have to take people into collections. A lot of places that do custom jobs will ask for half of the amount first, then send out an item, and then receive payment in full.
@LittleMel (14059)
true. I don't like that idea too. I probably can settle for COD if I have customer's credit card info on file or at least a signed promise to pay so they are bound to pay but on ebay, this is not even necessary because that's not how ebay is set up for anyway
@apples99 (6564)
Well I think its really risky if your a seller to send someone an item that they have not paid for I mean whats to stop them from keeping the item and never paying, if I were making a sale I would prefer if the person pays first, becuse even if you have the persons credit card info on file to charge later the person might not have the founds available on there credit card, or something, and then they just got a free item, in my opinion its best to maker sure the customer pays first, thats what I do when I shop on amazon I pay first, because dont like worrying about receiving a bill later because my budget is always changing and I dont want to recive a bill at a low time, so for me its always best to pay first.
@LittleMel (14059)
it is risky that's why I never sell without being paid and true, even if I have the person's card on file there is still risk that this card doesn't have sufficient fund in it maybe big companies have the money to bring this matter to court or hire someone who can bully customers to pay their dues but certainly small businesses like me don't have that advantage yet
@carrine (2749)
i dont think the store owner will ship their items without paying them.. its a NO of course right?
@LittleMel (14059)
there are businesses that are willing to do that but they usually ask for valid credit card info or customer will sign something a promise note that they will pay but as a seller I just don't feel like taking such a risk
@lilybug (21182)
I have never sent anything COD. I have never received anything that way either. I request payment at the time a purchase. If you don't want to pay then you do not get it.
@LittleMel (14059)
thats what I told them they sound like they have money but then again I can't risk it especially in times like this
Never ship anything out with out payment.PayPal will even warn you not to ship until check has cleard. "Does Walmart.com ship to you whith out payment" NO!!
@LittleMel (14059)
I never did send COD but I was wondering other people's experience with it
@Samanthavv (1395)
I have NEVER sold anything COD! I just don't trust it. And ebay has a protection policy, so that if they don't get their goods, they can recover their losses, so I don't see why anyone would be hesitant to use the site! It just dosen't make sense!
@LittleMel (14059)
me neither
@Pigglies (9340)
I would never go for that as a seller! I don't even think this is really allowed under eBay's rules. I have had people ship me stuff before I paid sometimes, back when I would send a money order. Because they were going out on vacation or something and couldn't wait, and didn't want to make me wait. I wouldn't have minded waiting, and I guess they knew from all my feedback that I probably really did send payment.
@LittleMel (14059)
yeah on ebay you can use feedback rating as consideration but even that I won't be too sure people make mistakes and honest people can change
No way I would not ship any item without getting paid now I do know that paypal can hold your funds on an item through ebay sometimes and I have had to ship an item than but that has only happened like 3 times to me. I felt okay with it because I just used confirmation which was proof that they got the item that way if there was any dispute I can say no they got this item. I hope this helps and happy mylotting to you.
@LittleMel (14059)
ok I didn't know paypal do that I only know I can't withdraw without a fee
I have been doing eBay for 5 years. I have never had anyone ask to ship the item before it is paid for. Ebay wants everyone to use PayPal so that they can get more fees, but it also gives them a trail to follow if the buyer has a problem and doesn't get his item. They also advise you not to ship anything until you have clear payment. I have mailed an item a couple of days before the payment was cleared but it was to someone I had sold items to on more than one occasion and had never had trouble getting paid for their items. I don't know of many companies that let you order things COD. You have to pay a COD fee too. Seems to me it would make your item more expensive. They want to make sure they have their money first and so do I. If you don't feel safe paying in advance to a seller you might need to choose a different seller with a great feedback rating.
@LittleMel (14059)
some companies here do ship COD to businesses but they have the business credit card info on file
@williamjisir (22909)
Hello LittleMel. I have not ordered anything online, but I usually make a call for cooking gas when mine is consumed. The gas man always sends a tank of gas to me as well as to other customers when he is called. So it is the same with bags of rice we buy. It is very convenient to get anything we like so long as we pay for the service fee for the sending of the goods we buy... I wish you to do your own business better and better with good luck, my dear friend.
@mimiang (3779)
I have never done COD but i think it is good if buyers can pay ahead. The sellers though should include the delivery costs in the price of the merchandise
@LittleMel (14059)
for sure shipping is always included in the invoice and I wouldn't have problem shipping anything that is paid for but definitely not if it's not paid for
@Yori88 (1468)
I think the feeling of sellers and buyers are just mutual. Mutual in the sense that when the seller ships something before getting the payment, he has the fear that the buyer might gave a wrong address or just fooling him. The same goes to buyers. They want to make sure that their hard-earned money is worth the item they are purchasing before they even pay for it. So I think the best way to buy something is to see for yourself first and just pay for it in a legitimate way with money back guarantee in case there is something bad with the product. So I suggest it is better to be a wise buyer by checking the item you need to buy first. I know we are all buyers but not all of us are sellers. So as buyers we should have more responsibility to check the product we are buying and make sure that we will get what we wanted and not just go with what the seller is saying. To the sellers, they should also see to it that they are checking the address and credibility of the buyer. I know that is a very hard thing to do so I suggest that sellers should do more effort in getting the trust of their customers by being honest and being fair. I have never sold anything on COD and I do not want to do that. I do sell cellphones together with my husband in the internet but when we meet the buyer we make sure that what was described in the site is the same product we are offering, no more no less. We also buy cellphones and my husband checks it carefully before buying. He is good at it and most of the time we pay less and we get more because he makes a very good deal with the buyers. He even get compliments from them because of that. Again it is just a matter of being wise and carefully making decision first before buying or selling.
@LittleMel (14059)
they don't sign any order form, give credit card info or payment info they really don't give me anything that will ensure payment when merchandise arrives plus I don't ship COD to anywhere so if they order from me they have to do what other customers do pay in advance then get receipt and purchase information if there is a mistake, they can use the receipt and purchase info to claim their money back that's what I do in my physical shop on Ebay however, it's mind boggling that people actually want this my rating is 100% I don't sell many there I don't even make good profit but I make sure it all goes well for the sake of rating so I don't know why people without paypal a/c would want me to ship COD I already specified I only accept paypal and there is no option for COD it must be scammers
hi lotter yeah ,even i think so that one should never pay in advance ,as they can be cheated.
@LittleMel (14059)
it's true you can be cheated if you pay in advance but sellers can choose not to send you if you don't pay anyway you need the item, not sellers they can sell it to someone else
@Ravenladyj (22992)
Maybe some people are honest or maybe they do have money, but if that's the case, what would be the reason of not paying in advance? Yea thats just it...there is NO WAY I would EVER send an item before getting paid for it..thats just asking for trouble as far as I'm concerned.. Also, if they don't feel like spending money right away, then why do they even go shopping in the beginning? yep...again I agree...some ppl just seem to have nothing better to do than try to scam others..pathetic really
@LittleMel (14059)
yeah I feel like scammed now because they don't give credit card info, sign forms, anything that ensures me they will pay and the address is really theirs. who would want to send COD in that situation?
@riyasam (16582)
i totally agree with you.one has to pay in advance,if not the full amount.both the sides people will have to take some risk.maybe a security of some sort,like a credit card number or a bank account number may help.
@LittleMel (14059)
yeah there is no guarantee whatsoever they will pay
@polachicago (19143)
When purchase over the Internet, everybody needs to pay in advance. Please don't deal with people who don't want to pay. This is the rule for every purchase over the internet, not the other way around.
@LittleMel (14059)
yeah I think COD is risky in times in like this that's why I don't want to ship COD on ebay or my physical shop I think it's risky even if we are not in recession
@busyB4 (875)
No, if they dont pay in advance, I would not send the item, especially since you really dont know who you are dealing with. Too, they should expect to send the money first, this helps to go ahead and give you the money to ship their item. If they really want it, they should be willing to pay first knowing that is the way that Ebay was set up when they signed up.
@LittleMel (14059)
yeah on ebay it's obvious but also for my actual shop I don't send COD for the same reason