What to do with milk jugs and large juice bottles

@laglen (19782)
This year we planted our seeds inside a little too soon. We stuck some in the ground a little too soon! So with coming snow storms, we cut milk jugs and juice jugs, as long as they're clear, then put the bottoms over the plants. This made little green houses and our lettuce are just fine! We will be having lettuce very soon!
@freak369 (4851)
That's a great idea. We use the yogurt cups for starting seeds and put them on old cookie sheets so they are easier to take outside during the day and bring in at night. We usually use two liter bottles and milk jugs for making powdered drinks like Kool-Aid or to store run off water to water plants in the summer. We do have recycling in our area but I'd rather use the jugs and bottles as much as I can before I put them out for the trucks to take them away. Enjoy your lettuce!
@laglen (19782)
Thats a great idea to. We start our seeds in pots made of newspaper (free publications) and we just plant the whole thing.
@ladyluna (7004)
Hello Laglen, I'll share two milk/soda jug ideas. The first is to use old jugs as self-watering instruments for plants. Clean jugs & caps. Cut a tiny hole in the cap & tightly fit a piece of cotton string, yarn, or wick through the cap up into the bottle. Fill with water & fertilizer (if needed) & place near the plant. Before we put in our drip irrigation system I used to use this kind of a set up to keep newly planted seeds evenly watered. The second isn't a gardening trick -- but very cool nonetheless. Check out this video -- I promise that you won't be disappointed. http://www.wisebread.com/how-to-turn-a-2-liter-bottle-of-water-into-a-50-watt-lightbulb "By cutting holes in his workshop roof, the new water-bottle lightbulbs could shine the sun's rays directly into his dark workplace, bathing it in light that enabled him to work again. And friends and neighbors have been using his invention to light their homes without having to pay for electricity. Obviously, this isn't a solution for your average home in America, but it could easily work in your garden shed or another type of workshop."
@deebomb (15323)
This is very interesting. It could be used fir more than the workshops and could be used in developing countries instead of electricity for lighting up dark rooms. the only problem is that the film canisters are getting scarce as most cameras are going digital these days.
I would really like to see your yard with those jugs in them. I toss these out in the trash. I have no room to collect these big items.
@laglen (19782)
I cut the bottom 5 inches and toss the rest. You can't see them in yard, our lattice blocks it.
@bamakelly (5194)
You have a very good idea on saving bottles and jugs. I think that I might have heard of this idea before with using them as green houses. Anything that will save a little extra money. Sometimes I just wash out those old milk bottles or containers and make sweet tea and place it in the cleaned out containers. I am not sure how much I am saving in doing that it is just convenient to do.
@laglen (19782)
I like to reuse them too. I use the small singles to send juice for lunch for kids.
@deebomb (15323)
We often used milk jugs as hot houses during the start of spring. It saved the plants from frost and those early spring winds.
@SomeCowgirl (32271)
I believe I may have heard of this idea before myself. Besides cutting them and using them for such you can also keep them as "water jugs" for your plants. You can fill them up and store them someplace. Sorry I don't have any other idea for them!
@Wizzywig (7860)
I cut the bottoms off and cut them to shape to turn them into strong but disposable 'poop scoops' aswell.
@xParanoiax (6999)
Alot of things that would otherwise be trash're very useful for gardening/farming. I've just cut up an egg carton and am starting some mystery seeds in it, for example. I'm saving my strawberry basket..things...to start seeds in next year. We cut up water bottles to make pots for transplanting, we also made a ton of paper pots this year, as well, for transplanting. We're also saving up two litre soda bottles to make a large greenhouse, since we found a design online xD Mighty useful! I'm glad your lettuce will be okay!
@carolscash (9501)
I like this idea. I will mention it to my husband as he is intending to have a large garden this year and I am sure that he has many seeds out too early. I like the fact that you are recycling these bottles and I hope that I can learn other ways to recycle them. I use them for watering my plants a lot. Enjoy your lettuce. I bet it will taste really good as it will be early and home grown!
This may sound really weird, but I use the bottles with handles as weights for working out!! This all started last year when I wanted to go to the sports store to buy some weights, but I was really dismayed with the prices. The kind that have varying weights are really expensive! So I went home and filled up 2 old orange juice jugs with water, realized they were way too heavy, and emptied them out half way. Since then, I've been using these jugs for arm workouts! I've marked with sharpee on the side how much water I fill them, and every month or so, I increase it a little bit. It's the best variable weight system yet!! One note of caution though, make sure the lids are on *tight*. I switched to using cranberry juice jugs with a handle because they had a twist cap, which made me less nervous. You can get a really good work out by doing isotonic things, like holding the jugs out in front of you for 1 minute or at your side at a 90 degree angle. :)
@Chevee (5915)
Great idea thanks for sharing, I just did a little planting and I do have some empty jugs, I will save them until I am sure that the cold weather is gone.