uncle sam not able to make ends meet

Well its tax time. And uncle sam is going to be racking in money. But not enough. The government will not get enough tax dollars this tax season or through out this year to cover all its exspenses. They have less money to spend than last year due to people not making as much money. But yet htey are still spending more money than they did last year. The government will get about 986 billion dollars this year. But they are going to spend 1.94 trillion this year. We are all having to tighten our belts and due more with less. Shouldn't our government? This is not even counting the national debt. Which is at an all time high. This is just their bugdet deficit for the year. Tell me what you think.
@deejean06 (1953)
Hi lilwonders...What do I think? I think that you and I can't run our houses at a deficit. I think the government cannot either. If you and I run our houses at a deficit then our houses would be taken away? Why on earth are people not understanding the cause and effect here? I think that people will begin to understand when their taxes rise even higher...
@anniepa (27238)
Couldn't it be said that if you owe a mortgage, a car payment or any other loan or credit card balance you ARE running your house at a deficit? Annie
annie if your mortgage and car payments are more than you make a year than yes. We are borrowing more money than we can afford to pay back. That is what caused a lot of the problems that we are now having. People lived beyond their means, bought things they could not afford...ran up huge credit card debts, bought fancy cars. When they could no longer afford to pay for it they defaulted. In record numbers. That was even before the huge lay offs started. People should live within their means and so should our government.
@deejean06 (1953)
Yes I understand what you are saying. We have mortgage payments and credit card bills. However we pay all of our bills on time and put money aside for retirement and college savings for our niece and son. So even though we do have bills and technically we could consider the house running on a deficit because we still have 20 years left on the mortgage, I don't feel as if I do since the bills are taken care of monthly.
@anniepa (27238)
I'm having a problem understand where all the people throwing these "tea parties" were the past eight years. We had a budget surplus and it was squandered and then some to the point where we now have a record-breaking deficit and national debt, meanwhile none of the money that was spent was used for our infrastructure. NOW our economy is in the toilet for a bunch of reasons, our infrastructure is falling apart and people think the government should stop spending. I know most people who will respond to this discussion disagree with me but President Obama made sense yesterday when he said there are times when the government HAS TO spend some money termporarily to get the economy moving again. If everybody cuts back all they can, including the government, that will result in more lay-offs, which will result in less money going into the economy which will result in still more lay-offs and businesses closing, and on and on it will go. Annie
@gewcew23 (8011)
Government is to some like that statue that can not be touched only viewed. Now you and me can be touched all day, everyday to the appeasement of others. I am glad that government is suffering, it needs to suffer. One of these days the house of cards that the looters and moocher of the world will come crashing down on them. When their pet project and safety nets can no longer be funded realite will finally come crashing down on them. Sooner the better!