Calling Out Wrong Names !!!!

@eagle_f15 (2054)
Malaysia
I went to my mum's house yesterday and we chatted a bit. My brother and my sister was at home as well. I was sitting very nearby my mum as I was helping her cut out some stuff for her kindergarten work. As she was talking to me she wanted to call my brother, but she called my names instead, he didn't answer. This hilarious calling out of names happened a few times, she wanted to call me but she called my brother's name instead then she wanted to call my sister but she called my brother's name. When this was going on, nobody answered her at all...the 3 of us were silent. Then after a while she got frsutrated and said why won't somebody answer her.........and my aunt who was cooking in the kitchen said out loud - you have been calling all the wrong names to the wrong person that's why nobody answered you. Hahahhaah........my brother, sister and me burst out laughing......Has this ever happen in your family? Did you get scolded or was there laughter? Kinda hilarious but I think age is catching up with my mum............
@suspenseful (40326)
I have the same problem. I will call my older son by my brother's name because they have the same features, even though my son's hair is chestnut and my brother's dirty brown. I think it is the simularity. But then I make sure not many are around to hear it.
@eagle_f15 (2054)
Hahahah.........I think this happens to most mums and not to mention even grandmothers....as my grandma has called wrong names before and the same thing my brother and me would keep silent but we got scolded for not answering but we still laughed it off between ourselves.........ehheheh naughty cheeky !!!
@zweeb82 (5745)
Hahaha!~Mum would say that we are rude but we would laugh it off, ahha!~
@lynnemg (4540)
I am always calling the wrong name. My kids and I laugh about it most of the time. They like to tease me and tell me that I must be getting old if I can't remember their names.
@eagle_f15 (2054)
Hahahha.......same like my mum........but maybe when you or my mum or mums are calling out names to that specific person, the eyes are looking at another so the name called out is the other person.........you think so?
@zweeb82 (5745)
Yeah, sometimes it's just like a short circuit kind of thing, haha!~
@zweeb82 (5745)
This happens with us as well as you might have observed, haha!~Mum jumbles up my name & my 2 sisters name. Sometimes even my youngest uncle's name comes in especially when he's visiting from Switzerland as we both look quite alike & our voices are quite alike also. Well, sometimes even when my uncle is not around, mum sometimes forget as well, haha!~
@eagle_f15 (2054)
Age is definitely catching up with your mum...........I hope this doesn't happen to me next time...........
@zweeb82 (5745)
Yeah, hope it doesn't happen to us next time, haha!~Yup, age is definitely catching up already, haha!~
@Huizhen (31)
I think everybody may happen this situation. Sometimes, my mother may mix my name with my sisiter, and while no one answer her , she will very angery, finally, she will notice her mistake in calling wrong name.
@eagle_f15 (2054)
Yeah it has not reached our turn yet...hope not.............hahahah!!!
@eagle_f15 (2054)
Yeah...haven't reached our turn yet...hope not.......LOL !!!
@Canellita (12059)
In my family my aunt's name is similar to mine so my grandfather often says her name, which drives me nuts seeing as how it's been a really long time and he could have learned mine by now. I just chalk it up to carelessness. He knows how to call my name when he wants something!
@eagle_f15 (2054)
At last something a respond about grandfathers or dads calling wrong names. But hey this is something strange about grandfathers and grandmothers.....as you said he know how to call your name when he wants something. My case is my grandmother is kinda hard of hearing so we gotta speak loud when we talk to her. But sometimes when we frustrated we kind complain a bit behind her back in our normal voice and hey she can hear what we said but when during proper talking to her we have to talk out loud she said she can't hear. LOL !!!!!
@Canellita (12059)
I believe older people have selective hearing. There are times when I am right next to my grandfather and practically shouting and he can not hear or not understand even with his hearing aids and then there are times he seems to hear from the next room! Drives me nuts.
@oyenkai (4399)
It happens with my mom ALL THE TIME and we don't really burst out laughing because of it because it's often annoying - I think it's harder for other people to understand it but if your mom does it ALL THE TIME and she knows she's doing it and she wouldn't bother thinking for the right name when she gets it wrong after 5 tries then she just starts talking even though she hasn't really called you yet but expected you to know that she WAS calling you even though there were at least 3 other people in the room... We find it disturbing because we think that she should try harder. We already have a grandmother suffering from Alzheimer's and we wouldn't our mom to start early. We encourage her to get our names right - and to get the right names for the right objects when she asks for them by simply looking at her and waiting until she gets her sentence right :) Thanks for the response on my discussion!
@eagle_f15 (2054)
Hey this is very nice of you and your siblings......
@caver1 (1765)
My mother tells about her grandmother calling her by her cousin's name. Mom thought that if grandmother really loved her she wouldn't forget her name. Year later my mom understands, because she does the same thing. And now I understand as well. I don't usually call my husband or son by the wrong name, but if I'm talking about them I may use the wrong name. And the kids I babysit, I'll call the wrong name and then say "whoever you are..." I'm only 48. Not old really. Oh, and yeah, we laugh about it.
@eagle_f15 (2054)
Here it goes again....I think our eyes are focused on another person and our head is thinking of calling out another person so this jumbles it all up.....heheheh!!!
@lkbooi (16102)
Hi eagle, it’s quite normal for an elderly people to call the names of the loving young ones wrongly, especially when all of them are together with him. The names of them would always mix up when he mentions anyone. They would call the names of other people they know correctly One of my friends who has 4 daughters always would call out his daughter’s name wrongly. It’s weird that he would call the name of his daughter correctly only when he mentions the last name. Of course we would burst out laughter whenever come across such ridiculous situation. Happy posting.
@eagle_f15 (2054)
Normaly is elderly people but this also happened to my aunt as well...young aunt below 50..............heheheh!!! Thanks for the respond
@lingzi (568)
hahah,so interesting. i did the same two years ago.have z nice day here.
@eagle_f15 (2054)
Really ?...............hehehehe!!!
of of my nickname is riz and people used to call me riz even my friends but there are people who knows me for so long but didn't even verify what is the proper pronunciation for my names..some is comfortable to called me irish..all they thought that my name is irish..so i got a wrong name on my hearing now..i ask them why they called me irish...because they arrived it from the people who greeted me "hi riz" and converted it to irish...and that is the founder of my wrong name..
@eagle_f15 (2054)
hahhahaha...this is a good one....
@paula27661 (15900)
Ha!Ha! That's funny! The reason I think it's so funny is because my mother does the same exact thing! My sister and I both have daughters and when we are with our mum she will call out about three or four names before the right one comes out; we do the same thing, we say nothing, watch her get mad until she eventually gets it right!
@eagle_f15 (2054)
Heheheh...............this things kinda happens to mums...so far...haven't heard if dads does the same thing. But in my experience, my dad never called out the wrong names when we siblings are all together neither did my grandfather ever did...not at least when I am around...other times I do not know.
@KrauseHome (32349)
Personally I would think that this does sound like your Mom is having problems with trying to keep people seperated and maybe is having problems with her sight? as well. I know I seen many a time people go thru this, and sometimes it could be just out of mistake, and other times from people starting to suffer from Alzheimers or such as well. I would just ignore it unless it is becoming a problem and be there for her and hope things will pass.
@SomeCowgirl (32273)
Oh yes, I've had that happen. I've been called a lot of different names before, sometimes one of my cousins, sometimes my sister, and most recently April, a name I haven't heard since I was friends with a girl named April when I was younger. I just let it slide, and answer to it because usually the situation was where I was the only person in the house or room with a name that started with A.