hot topics

@Trensue (5262)
I need a real education. What makes a topic hot? Sometimes when I look I see no rhyme or reason ~ Is it just that someone has a lot of "friends on the site" and so they will respond to anything for the numbers? It is fun to talk about nothing?
Trensue- I'm pretty new here and I'm not rightly sure either. I'm sure Diana will make her way around to your topic (she's the resident expert on Mylot and has been here a long time), and she may have a better answer or at least can point you in the right direction. In my own mind, I'm guessing it has something to do with number of times the thread is read per day. As in, certain topics get hits more than others causing them to fly to the top of the list. I'm guessing that is how today's top works as well, yet with post numbers. Meaning the number of people responding within a certain time frame. That's my guess at least. I wouldn't put too much stock into it though. Find your nitch. Sometimes I'm posting on "hot" or "today's top" topics, but other times I'm sticking with those interests I selected when I first signed up for Mylot. It's a vast place here, that you should be able to find many places to post at, and topics to enjoy conversing on. Namaste-Anora
@mysdianait (65122)
I might be resident Anora but I am not the expert. I think that what you have suggested maybe almost correct or at least a lot if it. I'll send a 911 to my mentor
Diana- Well, I think you're an expert lol. Myk- Yeah, I agree, it's just a bit mystery.
@miamilady (4924)
It does seem like a popularity contest of sorts, at times. But, I don't think that the number of replies you receive affect your earnings. Usually anything that pi$$e$ people off gets good replies... Talk about religion, abortion, politics, maybe racism. People get fired up on those topics. lol Sometimes though, it actually is fun to talk about nothing. I think the most replies I ever received on a discussion was when I started one about COFFEE. That seems to be a popular topic. I think I asked if you drink your coffe before you take a shower or after you take a shower in the morning. lol I guess most everyone drinks coffee so they were able to answer that one quickly. Sometimes people don't want to put a lot of thought into their replies. there are myLotters who enjoy the more thought provoking topics and then there are myLotters who prefer the easy and quick topics. I like both types. It just depends on my mood.
@TLChimes (4842)
There is no secret to the best discussion. Friend count isn't it either. I think finding something many people can feel emotional about seems to get it. If they love it, hate it, smile and laugh, or cry and yell.... that's what gets them in. I love discussions that get my laughing at the responders. I like ones that grab my attention. I almost always respond to ones that talk about kids. But those are just mine. Some people love deep discussions about religion, faith, politics, the future, the past, what ever.... Other folks like fluffy discussions about their favorite hair color, the cups of coffee it takes to wake up and the way the day went. It's all on how you catch folks interest. Post in several different spots until you find a place you like, switch your styles so all of your discussions don't sound the same, and keep making friends because the more different friends you have the more different discussions will get noticed. That's just my take on things.....
@Trensue (5262)
Thanks for the insight. I guess I tend to over analyze things and that is never a great situation. I guess someday I will get the hang of it.