I could have walked farrther but

@suspenseful (40316)
For the last week, I have tried to go on more walks. The weather has warmed up sort of, but I find that when I go for a walk, I tend to go to the Mall and I want to shop. So except for the times when I have to go to pay bills, or I have to pick something up, I will only go as far as block before the shops and then come home. I also will pick up cans on the way to donate to our school, because any excuse like the shopping bag is full of cans is a good way to avoid shopping. So for you walkers, will you walk not as quite as far as the shopping mall or the shops or go the other way to avoid temptation, i.e. the stores?
@irene66 (1671)
Sometimes you can not really avoid impulse buying. So it's really advisable to get away from shopping malls when walking. What I do is to really discipline myself not to bring out money from my pocket. I have to resist the temptation. Better yet don't bring big amount of cash. Just enough to buy you a drink just in case.
• Marion, Kansas
That is a good strategy, do not take any money, then you cannot spend it. I try to keep things light when I go for a walk. We should, however take Identification.
@suspenseful (40316)
I use my credit card and debit card. Do not like carrying too much cash with me and even though I pay off the balance, I have an idea in my head at what I will spend that much so when I get close to the end of my limit, I will go anywhere but to the Mall and if I have to pay a bill there, I will rush in and rush out.
@dragon54u (31609)
I would love to go for a walk but my arthritis is so bad I don't know when I'll be hit with pain and have to sit down. I walk around my house and yard as much as I can. It was never a problem for me to be around stores, though, I've never in my life had enough money that I feel comfortable buying something nice. Your trick of picking up cans is quite clever, you fool yourself into not shopping and at the same time you're doing good for your school.
@suspenseful (40316)
It does help, but I wish I had a plastic bag. I had to use my shopping bag, and then after picking up those cans -some that had been left in the snow- i had to wash the bag when I got home. At least it was light and easy to dry.
@mtdewgurl74 (18121)
I think that it is great that you pick up he cans and donate them. And it also helps the environment too..well, I wouldn't be able to make it to the shops since they are about 10 miles away and no way can I walk that far..so far 4 miles is my limit in walking. I haven't tried doing it with my new bike though well I got it last year and only was able to ride it once. One way to control the shopping urge would be to not take any money or credit cards. But you would get alot of exercise looking around the shops.
@mtdewgurl74 (18121)
Sorry pick up the cans..not pick up he cans..sorry for the typo.
@suspenseful (40316)
I often decide to pay a bit on my credit cards a day or so after I buy something, so that is why I take along my credit cards. And that is when I get to the cashiers and I see those incentives. I do find if I forget to take my airmiles card along, I will not do any shopping either.
@mtdewgurl74 (18121)
I have tried saving the pop cans and aluminum but it seems as soon as I get 4 or so black garbage bags of them every time my hubby goes and gives them to his brother or sister to haul off for money for them since they are needing it for their kids. He has a big heart but it can take me many months to gather that many. I used to have to pick up pop cans when I was younger I hated it since I was so self conscious that my friends would see us gathering them..now I don't care..I am helping the earth as I see it now and I guess that is what matters and the helping hand it gives to those we give them to.
@Darkwing (21588)
I'm lucky... I live in the countryside and it's four and a half miles to the nearest town and mall. So, I can walk as far as I like into the countryside without spending money! lol. I used to walk seven miles every single day but I can't do that far now as I have a bad knee, and I really miss it. Brightest Blessings my friend.
@marciascott (25555)
I have bad knees too, but I hear that walking is good for that.
@suspenseful (40316)
I have bad knees too. I wonder if that is why I gain weight. I cannot run that fast.
@Darkwing (21588)
I was told by my doctor some years ago, not to walk on uneven ground! He's having a laugh, isn't he, because the moment I step out of the door, I'm on uneven ground. I can walk but I have to keep stopping and resting, so I don't push myself too far for fear of damaging them more. Naturally, they need some exercising but as you say, Suspenseful, it doesn't help with the weight that you can't exercise as much as you'd like, whereas if you sit too long, they do tend to stiffen up and take some time to get going again when you stand again. It's a viscious circle really because I know if I lost some of my weight, my knees would be more able to carry me, whereas if I attempt too much exercise, I might damage them further. Oh for a happy medium, my friends!
@marciascott (25555)
that is a good place to go walking, just don't take any money to the Mall with you. That is a good Idea maybe I should start walking at the Mall. A lot of people do it here. I am ready to start walking we have a Track near by.
@suspenseful (40316)
I have my credit card and for one thing it happens when I decide to pay a credit card bill. I see how many points I will get. So far I have kept within my limit, but we need a file cabinet and if I buy it now rather then waiting until near the 1st, I will not have anything for emergencies. It used to be my limit for the spending on credit cards was $250, then it went down to $200, and now with the economy, it is down to $100 and since I had already spent almost half, that does not leave much. I did walk at the Mall, well run, or walk fast. Passing those other couples just dawdling along so they looked as if they were standing still.
@cream97 (29169)
Hi, suspenseful! In my town where I love at, walking to the mall on foot would take me about 1 hour and 45 minutes. That would be a very long walk for me. So, I would rather travel by bus or car to get their faster. I do walk for about an hour on the track but I am only walking in circles. But for me to walk all the way to the mall from where I am at, it will take longer. I may walk to the grocery store. I can get there in about 20 minutes. I could manage that. Yoy got you some good exercising I see! Enjoy your walk!
@suspenseful (40316)
In the winter, even walking to the Mall that is less then a mile away feels like two, but in the summer, I could walk two miles and it seems like nothing. But there is an advantage for a long walk to the Mall. By the time you get there, you are too tired to buy anything.
@Polly1 (12650)
I am going to start walking with my mom, she renewed her membership at the zoo, we will go there and walk. I don't have the money for shopping so no problem there. Good luck on your walking, our weather is getting nicer too.
For the past days I've been out and do some walking for health reason. After i was hospitalized my doctor advised me to go on walking as soon as i can so as to speed up my recovery. I normally go to grocery shop to buy our daily grocery. It saves us gasoline or bus fare for that matter. I dont walk very far since its not advisable for me.
@suspenseful (40316)
Our shopping center is almost a mile away both ways, so no matter what, it takes almost a mile to get there. It is not so bad in the spring and summer, but comes late fall and winter I do not want to do that.
@cynthiann (18619)
• Jamaica
Because of the heat I woul dhave to walk early mornings and I hate tyo get up early! To be honest, the only time I walk is around the poroperty that I manage. It is on the sea and I walk around the grounds and make nots of what needs to be done. To increase my movement, I now climb the four blocks of apartments daily to insoect the cleaning. I know that they are cleaned but I still do an inspection - just for the exercise. Your idea is good. I am now so frugal that I only go to the supermarket and do not enter any other store.
@suspenseful (40316)
I have certain times when I go to the Mall. Like I have a credit card bill I want to pay but it is not due until the 12th of May, but I want it paid off before then. But outside it is unusually cold for this time of year and do not feel like going.
• Marion, Kansas
I like to walk before the stores open. I can look in the windows and see the pretty things, but I have no temptation to buy. I also have routes I can take that have no shops. I like your plan as well.
@suspenseful (40316)
It is just that I have been planning to buy something for a while, but I wanted to make sure I had enough mad money behind me before I got it. It is too cold that early in the morning. The plan does work, and then I can always say, "I have to get back to my husband! because he is not that well!" and run back home.
@suzzy3 (8368)
Where I live there are no shops ,six mile walk to spend any money,but I know what you are saying.We walk around the local park which has an area of about a mile so a few times round there does me and my mates a good walk with no temptation.The trouble is when you do go to the town you really have to have a list.Money goes so fast,My son is growing upwards at the moment and outwards as well.He goes to bed one size and wakes up the next one up so all our spare cash has to clothe him at the moment.xxxx
@peavey (16300)
I need to get out more, but that's one of the things I hate to do alone. I should just make myself. There are several ways to walk here that don't lead to any stores, so I could avoid that temptation.
@stephcjh (32328)
I think I would avoid it also. I have a treadmill to use in my home. I need to make time and energy for it but I am always too busy working or something.
@xParanoiax (6999)
We walk along our country roads, mostly =o We collect cans too...although Mom counts walking at bigger stores like Walmart as walking, I don't tend to. ^_^' but we've been walking alot more now that it's warm. We try for at least a mile.
I prefer to walk on a trail or track outside!
@1hopefulman (25927)
Leave your wallet at home when you go for a walk. Then you will have no money to shop. Try to walk to a park, sit in the sun for a while and then walk back home. Enjoy the fresh air. Sing one of your favorite songs. Look at all the flowers. They say that walking is the best exercise God invented.
We have a hill we walk up and we could go farther but we don't, not sure why. Its easier to fall down a hill than up it.