My daughter totaled her car today.

My daughter totaled her car today. She bought her first car at age 15 and has been accident free until now. She had a Toyota Tercel and she paid $75 for it. She loved it! Anyway, she wrecked today and totaled it. She was so upset and so scared! I tried to comfort her by telling her that at least she wasn't hurt and neither was the person in the other car. The car can be replaced,but the people couldn't be. The guy she hit was a complete jerk and he didn't have much damage. She didn't even ask if she was okay which upsets me tremendously! She has health problems anyway and I was scared for her. Thankfully, she is okay and we will find a way to replace the car.
@sanuanu (11238)
Only $75? That is very cheap. I haven't heard of any car which is that cheap! anyway, the car is gone but daughter is safe that is the best thing about you and your family. You said a correct thing to her that the car can be replacable but the persons can't be. i think she will be okay in two or three days!
You are right. It was a cheap car but it was perfect for her. The weather was nasty and she slid on a sharp curve. Nothing to really do and even more experienced drivers have accidents like that. It was just that an accident!!
@sanuanu (11238)
Indeed and the best thing was that she is okay even after that incident. So,how is she now? I think she must be okay by now, mustn't she?
Thank goodness your daughter wasn't hurt! And you're right - cars are totally replacable. I know what it's like to lose a car that you've had a lot of memories in - as I got into a pretty bad accident a couple of years ago in my old '94 Cutlass Supreme (I paid $900 for it). But, she'll move on. (I did - although I still miss it sometimes. lol). And by the way (random observation): $75 for a CAR?! Did she have to put a lot of work into fixing it? How on earth do you find a car that cheap?!
LOL! I am also wondering why is it the car is so cheap. Can you really buy a $75 car nowadays? Maybe it is just a typographical error. Cheers!
NO typo! My daughter got her car for $75. A friend of a friend had it and no it did not need any work to it. She has had to replace the clutch and put brakes on it since she owned it and that is it. It still runs great just smashed now!!
@di1159 (1580)
So sorry to hear! I know that crashing your first car is a traumatic experience (it happened to me many years ago). I was totally depressed for weeks because I needed to depend on everyone for rides and my mother used to tell me the same thing, that the car can be replaced, etc etc. I glad that she and the other party weren't hurt. It will take a bit of time to get over it, but she will and you will find a way to replace the car. Best wishes.
She is a little upset about it, but after finding out that she had chronic neurological Lyme Disease around November last year and that she will deal with that the rest of her life and knowing how she feels when it flares up, she really has taken this well and she realizes that things could have been worse. She is doing fairly well with the situation and she is going car shopping tomorrow. Thanks for your concern.
@kareng (7980)
I'm glad to hear that your daughter was not injured! That is the most important thing to consider!~
you are so right about that!
@stephcjh (32327)
I am so sorry to hear that. My daughter just bought her first car at age 16 also and it is in the shop to have a new motor put in it right now. Her car broke down on the expressway and she was so scared also and we had it towed home. I'm glad your daughter was not hurt. People can be so rude. I hope she gets another car.
Thanks steph. I believe that a car is more important to them if they pay for it on their own. She will get another car somehow. I will help her if I can. I know that she is a little strapped financially right now, but she has her home paid off so I know that will free up some money. People are rude and it upsets me. If he had been rude when I got there I would have told him off. I don't care about his car as long as they are safe.
@YoungInLove (1254)
I got in a car accident not long ago. It shcoked me so much all I did was cry and cry. Ive never been near an accident let alone in one. So i went to the auto collisoon reporting center and the woman was liek psht why you crying its just a car. I find that the worst thing someone could have said. I know im lucky to not be hurt.. but that was my baby..and wasnt cheap. Id be alot less sad if i had only paid 75 bucks for it for sure but at the time all i could think bout wqas money, and ive been hurting financially since... car accident was the scariest thing i had ever experienced I have to say.
She was shaken up and scared. The car just wasn't an issue. She has had it all this time and it can be replaced. The money wasn't an issue. We will figure out a way of getting her a car. I don't look at material things in a way that they upset me much. If it had been a new car, then I might have been a little more upset. However, knowing that she wasn't hurt was the main thing!
@suspenseful (40316)
At least she was not hurt. The trouble is since she ran into the car, her insurance will probably have to pay for the damage to the other car. I hope you had adequate insurance and it was the right kind because it is hard to get the money if you have to pay for it yourself.
She had her own insurance and it is adequate insurance. She didn't get hurt and the damage to the other vehicle was not bad so I think she will be okay with that part of it. The other guy told the deputy when he pulled up that he didn't think that she had insurance. She surprised him!
@Trensue (5253)
I am so grateful that your daughter is alright and that is where the focus is. I had a hard time once when I was involved in an accident and the poor girl that hit me got yelled at by her father. I went so far as to put my arm around her and say"All that matters is we are safe. Everything else are just things and people are more important than things."
You are truly right. I could not be mad at her over wrecking her car. I was only worried that she was alright. That girls father was a jerk!
@KrauseHome (35522)
Glad to hear that she was OK. I know that even though it may seem a little confusing now which is the Best thing to do, I am sure everything will work out for the Best. It may take time, but I am sure you will be able to find a Car for her.
Thanks. You are right about finding a car. She bought a 2000 KIa and she loves it. She financed it in her name and is on her way to building a solid credit score for herself.
@bunnybon7 (37156)
• Holiday, Florida
oh your poor daughter. i hope she will get another car she loves as much. i know that really hurts when you've worked so hard to keep your car running etc. and then its totaled. iam so glad she is ok though. thats more important.
You are exactly right. I am sure she will love her next car too.
@uicbear (1903)
I rmember the first time that I was in a car accident. I was so freaked out by the whole thing. I was trying to get the guys info and they were just trying to get out of there. It's so hard to try and keep a level head and follow all the steps, it's even worse when the other party is being impossible to deal with. It's a shame about the car, but you said it best, things can be replaced.
They called the police and they took all of the information. I personally thought that the cop acted rudely too and as if he was in a hurry to get it over with.
@carpenter5 (6786)
She does have insurance right? I hate when people are jerks about accidents. My husband got hit a couple of years ago, and it wasn't his fault. The man who hit him was flying down a hill and ran a red light. He was just awful to Mike and kept saying that Mike ran out in front of him. Thankfully there were several witnesses, and then the police officer offered to get the tape from the top of the light to prove that he'd run the light. He shut up then.
Yes, she has insurnace and it will pay the cost of repair to his vehicle. I hate it when people are like that too. This guy had a small dent and a flat tire,but her car was totaled and he was a jerk to her.
@albert2412 (1782)
I am glad that your daughter is all right. I am very sorry that she had such a terrible accident. I have been in accidents several times and know how very traumatic that can be for someone. If I may suggest, try to drive your daughter places for a while, even if she does get another car. She may be too shuck up to drive herself for a while. I know that i was after I was hit.
I can't drive her around as we work and do different hours. I am sure that she is over it now and I am sure that she won't suffer from it. She is strong and very mature for her age.
So sorry to hear that. At least she wasn't hurt. My daughter got in a wreck last Wednesday. At least her car can get fixed.
Sorry to hear about your daughter. Is she okay? That is all that is important.
@Jenniferp (210)
I am glad that she and he are okay! Wrecks are so scary, so many people get hurt in them, or worse. That is a great deal on the car, she man not get a deal like that again.
I am glad too. She won't find another car for that price,but she can afford to make car payments now so she will find something.
@sameeer (76)
wow i am glad no one was hurt, well their are 2 things u should have done before, 1 was that getting a car at 15 is a bad idea, well not so bad for a teen to hang around with friends in her own car!!how cool is that, but bad form the parenting point of view since you know the risk involved and to make her cheerful again and get over it, just make her realize that such things can happen and she should take it as a lesson to be more careful even tho it was not her fault but think of it as a lesson and to do more looking around when driving anyways happy mylotting!
She really had to get her own car and have her own way around as soon as she was old enough as she has been working since she turned 14. She is very responsible and so I would say that her having the car was not an issue. She was never allowed to have friends in it until she had driven for a year and she took drivers ed. She will be more aware of her surroundings when she drives now,I am sure.