Can walking hurt your knees?

I am walking everyday now on my treadmill. I already have bed knees. I am wondering if walking is going too make them worse. I walked for 30 minutes and my knees stopped hurting for a few hours. Then the pain came back again later on that day.
@Pigglies (9346)
Walking is usually much less intense than running so it shouldn't be as bad. But are you walking on a treadmill with shoes on or barefoot? If you're at home anyway, try barefoot and see if that helps. I have bad knees that run in my family and I'm going to start jogging soon, barefoot. Well, nearly barefoot. In barefooted running shoes. Although with all the calluses on my feet I probably could full on run barefooted.
@Pigglies (9346)
Argh darnit! Sorry, double post. For some reason this was showing as no responses for me even though I swore I already responded. Sorry about that!
I will try it today barefoot. I sure hope it won't hurt my heel spurs. Thanks
@Pigglies (9346)
Ouch! Heel spurs don't sound good. Maybe you should try toe socks instead of barefoot? You could put a bit of extra cushion in the heel that way without it being as bad on your posture as shoes.
@Pigglies (9346)
Bad knees run in my family so I always try to avoid anything that can damage your knees (with the exception of pushing elephant seals around, because I have to!). Running with bad form can damage your knees, and most people heel plant while walking. But I've been wanting to run and have been doing some research. Apparently, people have better form while barefoot. I'm not sure if this is true for walking as well, but since you're on a treadmill and not out walking on the street maybe you could see if being barefoot hurts your knees less?
I have heel spurs so I need to wear shoes at all times. Thanks very much
@viga01 (28)
It depends on the type of knee problem you have. In many cases walking and other excersize can actually help reduce knee pain and prevent injuries by strengthening the muscles to offer more support to the joint. My own knee pain is related to improper tracking of the patella. Moderate excersize like walking and leg lifts are good for my knees and help to lessen the pain noticably. More strenuous exersize is bad for them, and actually makes the injury worse. My doctor refered me to a therapist who was able to tell me what type of excersizes were best for my situation, and I dug up additional information on the internet. I am careful to be faithful to my exersize plan to help stave off possible knee surgery, avoid the need for prescription painkillers, and to avoid needing to visit the doctor or attend therapy. So, excersize could be good or bad for your knees, but you want to try to find out what the best things for them would be to hopefully save both time and money on your knee problems later.
My mother had two knee surgery's and she is doing better. I don't want to end up with that. I will get both of my knees checked out by a doctor. Thanks
@eaforeman6 (8983)
I was on an excercise bike. I had to slow it down because my kness started swelling . I think each person is different and it depends on how much is right for each individual. Your body lets you know when it is too much.
Yeah I do agree with you on this. Thanks
@suspenseful (40331)
That is why I do not like a treadmill. It is better walking outside on the grass, especially because when you set the controls a little faster it will be faster then what you could walk naturally outside. Your legs are not getting used to the pace because the treadmill is making it faster or more strenuous then what you would normally do. So walking on a treadmill can hurt your knees, as will walking on the sidewalk or any hard surface. I would suggest that you try walking on the grass, start slow and then make it a little faster. I have one bad knee. Oh and no jogging though.
It really hurts and I do notice when walking is done faster movements. it is good if you do it in the morning as a form of exercise where the heat of the sun is still low. I like to walk on the evening with a slow movement while I am talking with a friend. I do not feel tired and I enjoy walking. I like to walk at the outdoors and do not like to confine myself walking at a stationary position. As we grow old, knees pain really happen and especially if you do it rigidly without taking a warm up exercises. just slow down and as you gain more energy. You can set your walking at a moderate level as long as you can. never force yourself to walk more than an hours. It is really tiring and never be fun.
@amibotea (168)
of course it hurt. If you find smth to stop that pain tell me because I have the same problem
• Lubbock, Texas
Painful knees, hips and heels can be a result of the spine being misaligned. If your spine is aligned improperly your weight is carried by secondary muscles instead of the primary ones. This puts the weight on the wrong part of your joints and causes extreme pain. When I sit at the computer or beading table too much and don't get enough exercise I find my knees hurt when I walk because I probably don't sit up straight when I sit. When this happens, I get out my book "Pain Free" by Pete Egosque and Roger Gittines. The "E cises" they recommend are not strenuous, but sometimes they pull painfully and I can't hold the positions as long as recommended. Sometimes it takes a week to get everything to get realigned with this method, but it certainly is less expensive than a chiropractor. You can probably find the book in the public library, but I'd recommend buying it if at all possible. I don't know what kind of shape I'd be in if I didn't have it.
I am also a frequent user on trademill. However, so far I have never encounter any knee problems by walking on trademill. I think it depends on a few factors like personal ability (whether are your body able to take it) and also some historical incident (like whether you hurted your knee before). Anyway, enjoy your weorkout!!