Weatherization Stimulus pkg ?

Does anyone know what this all entails? I've hear it was supposed to be up to $6500. Now I"m seeing on commercials for windows that they have the replacment windows that qualify for the tax credit. Tax credit? A tax credit will do little good for me, I can't afford the upgrades in the first place and if a tax credit from donations to chairities for a couple hundred doesn't make a difference for me. So if it's a tax credit I truly don't see what the point is because you technically don't get the money back in your refund just a tiny % if anything. At first I was excited about this but now I'm not sure why they bothered. Tell me I"m under the wrong impression, I'd love it if it was "free money" as I have a fixer upper and with now being on one income we can't swing any upgrades til I go back to work full time and that won't be for 4 more years atleast. *sigh*
@dragon54u (31638)
If they really wanted us to go with energy saving improvements, they'd find a way to cut the prices instead of a stupid tax credit. A tax credit can take you to a lower bracket but will probably only save you a couple hundred dollars, from what I know.
@us2owls (1681)
You are probably right dragon54u. t The only people that benefit totally from anything tax related are those in Washington - and even with the benefits a lot of those appointed by Obama haven't bothered to pay theirs.
Amen Dragon! If they'd lower prices and our finances weren't what they were I'd shoot to do one big improvment a year, but we can't afford to do it. That's what I mean I can't afford to just save a few hundred dollars in credit... In a perfect world I want a cash credit tward these items to reduce the price like you said... The government as usual bringing people hopes up based on what they think we need. & if you haven't noticed most of them were lawyers and had money to begin with not like the common folks... they've forgotten what it's like to just get by.
@dragon54u (31638)
I think most of them have never known what it is just to get by. Too many of them have had everything handed to them. One requirement of government office ought to be at least 6 months of poverty when they're old enough to remember it. Put them in a roach-infested apartment with a bathroom shared by the whole floor, give them a job making minimum wage, no car and enough bills so they only have $30 left at the end of the month, before they've even bought food. Maybe we'd have a different government.
@spalladino (17924)
Yes, it's a tax credit...I believe I read that it's 30% of the cost of energy saving appliances and weatherization products like windows and insulation. You can't expect the government to give people the money in advance as there would be no way to determine how the money was spent. Keep in mind that weatherizing your home also lowers your heating & cooling bills so, in the long run, it does help you out. I believe this credit will be located in a different area of the income tax form than charitable donations are but, as another poster already indicated, all it will most likely do is lower your taxable income, possibly putting you into a lower tax bracket.
Trust me if I had the money I'd be going nuts getting things done. But I don't have it! I was hoping it was going to work out better than it is. I mean I know they want to get some of the contruction trades going but it doesn't sound like it will help us. Can't afford to do any major changes til we pay a vehicle off in a few yrs or til I can go back to work full time, when my lil guy is old enough for school. I don't need a lower tax bracket I need repairs!
@us2owls (1681)
Like you I would like to know more about this weatherization stimulus. I too live in an old house that needs a lot of help in that respect. I would like to know if getting new windows would qualify for the entire $6,500 - my house could certainly use some.
We were hoping to fix things up but I think we were too ambitious, especially now on one income. I'm watch'n things fall appart but all I can do is "make do" & whatever lil repairs we can do on our own. I need an electrical upgrade, new furnace, ductwork, windows, siding, on & on & on.... I was hoping this would be a good opportunity for us to atleast get some windows or a new furnace...