care homes

I work as a care aide in a care home and as much as I love it there are days when I just don't want to go to work. Somedays I get beat up and leave with bruises and scratches. I know that some of these people don't know what they are doing and I can forgive that but the ones that do know I find it hard to forgive. Even with residents that I really am not fond of I still try to give them the same care that I would for a resident that I like. I find that the families are always complaining about how we dont' do our jobs very well. I just want to yell in their faces, you try this for less than 20 bucks an hour and if you think it is so easy why don't you keep your loved one at home. They are here because you can't or don't want to look after them. Thanks for listening now I feel better and can go to work.
@jules67 (2790)
It takes a lot of patience working in this kind of institution. First, you have to bear in mind that you are taking care elders. Not only that, your job will be rated not just on your performance but more so on care that you give to the elders. It would sometimes make you feel degraded that you have to resort to this kind of work to think that there is no blood relation with the person you take care of.
No one should feel degraded by doing this kind of work. If, however, they do I suggest that they get out of the field.
i can understand your feeling now really, but we need to find the positive direction in our negative life.
@berrys (865)
aww my brother works in a care home too and sometimes its just so sad to see him visit me with all sorts of bruises but nevertheless he still loves his job. to stick with a crummy job like that takes a lot i don't know many people who would especially since the patients are not even family and you barely know anything about them. you guys give your heart and soul in to it and its just amazing. they should declare a holiday in you guys honor. don't worry. at least at the end of the day you can close your eyes and sleep peacefully knowing that you have done a good deed. life always gets better. always have faith, and never give up, for you are one in a million. god bless you and your family. i wish you all the luck and happiness with your job. cheers mate.
@rhowena (31)
Each one of us needs a care and for me to Care is to love . it is the best gift that we can share to anybody.Specially if you work in a care home, you need to have patience,and you can only have it if you really work with love and devotion, it will be very easy for you to do things that makes your patient satisfy if you give love to your work. Sending love ones to the care home doesn't mean they don't love them, maybe they just wanted that their love ones be given full attention and care even they are not around and that makes them feel contented and have peace of mind. These case very open happened to those who are very busy to earn for a living. I know there is no easy thing in this world , we need to sacrifice and have patience in order to achieve what we wanted, and to have it we should have faith in GOD.
@prinzcy (5058)
Hello Starlight, I know that your job isn't easy but you need to be patient. It just like us being teachers. This kind of job isn't easy but we still need to deal with it. I once 'attacked' by an angry father after his daughter refused to come to school after I lectured her for not doing her homework. I didn't touch, I just nagged. Still, the 14 years old told his father she didn't want to go to school because I get mad at her. How am I supposed to teach if we can even do that?
@Opal26 (17690)
Hey starlight! I do know that your job isn't easy and that you have to take alot of crap that you don't want to take! But, if you want the job, the you have to take what goes along with it! I have had many jobs where I was mistreated and abused and I sure didn't like it, but I needed the money so I had no other choice but to take the crap and deal with the miserable mistreatment and abuse! And believe me it was really stressful and unpleasant! I used to go home at night and drink myself into oblivion which ended up making me sick and now I am disabled myself! You need to make choices in life so make them wisely!
Oh I can definitely understand what you are saying. I work in a local nursing home, as a nurse. I have to admit it is one of the hardest jobs I have ever had for lots of reasons. One we are always short staffed, both aides and nurses. No one seems to really give a rats behind whether these people are taken care of or not. If I could just give a tidbit of advice. Even the ones that you know they know what they are doing, are doing it because they really have no sense of control anymore. Their families have shoved them into a nursing home probably against their will, they have lost their home, and probably almost everything they own to pay for their care. They are told when to eat, when to get up, when to shower, what to eat, and what medication to take. They literally have no control except to take it out on the staff. I know that does not make it any easier when you come up battered, and bruised but sometimes it does help to see their life from a different perspective. As for the families, a lot of them are racked with guilt from putting their loved ones there, and they too take it out on the staff. I think until people start realising how hard it is really to work in a nursing home, nothing will ever change. One more thing, if you are finding it difficult in the nursing home, try to fan out to a different area such as Hospice or Home Care. You will have only a few patients, and will be able to give better care with a lot less stress and hassle.
@Wizzywig (7859)
I sympathise with you as I work on an acute medical work and we have some aggressive and abusive patients - and we also have relatives complaining... but,even when our patients are medically fit, we have problems getting their families or their care homes to take them back. Then we get complaints about 'bed-blocking' because A&E want to send new patients to us but we have no beds empty.We've just had an annual pay rise so my current hourly rate is £6.95. Luckily, I have some great colleagues and we keep each other sane (or maybe not???) Hope you have an easier day. take care.
@rosey2006 (945)
I have worked at many nursing homes and feel the same way that you do. I am a nursing assistant and just do not enjoy that type of work anymore.
@finlander60 (1775)
I started working in a nursing home in 2000. I enjoyed the work and interaction with the residents. I would do it again for the residents. What I can not understand, is why so many of the female staff have so many prejudices toward male staff (I am 63 years young) and make no apologies for their behavior toward them. So many of them DO NOT WANT MALE CAREGIVERS IN THEIR NURSING HOME, and they are very vocal about it. Have any other men been on the receiving end of this kind of treatment?