Mental Wards In The Old Days And The Present

@CatsandDogs (13964)
Life was unimaginably cruel back then. My grandmother knew a lady who was put into a mental hospital by her husband and she could not get out unless he signed for her to get out. She was not insane by any means but he wouldn't sign her out. As years went by, she begged him to let her out but he wouldn't. He eventually died so his wife lived out her days in this mental ward till her death. Then there was my mom's cousin's dad. Her cousin's parents had divorced and her father had married another. Now the father's new wife put him in a mental ward and he couldn't come out unless she signed for him and she wouldn't. He ended up dying there. I'm so glad that things have changed since then. I think I would've gone insane if I had to stay in one place all the time!! They would've had to sedate me. I'm so serious! I would've had to find a way out some how some way or they'd have to shoot me to keep me because I would not stay peacefully. There's no way! Now my question is this, has anybody ever worked in a mental ward? What was it like? Seriously, what was it like? Did you laugh at/with some of the patients that were there? Not at their handicap but at their antics at being silly. I would imagine one has in order to keep their own sanity. Has anybody begged you to let them out? How did you handle the situation? I know I wouldn't be able to work at such a place with people begging me to let them out because I'm a softie and would let them out and I'd be fired on the spot. I can't be mean to anybody UNLESS my toes were stepped on the wrong way but to be mean just because I can, I couldn't do that.
@Rozie37 (15499)
• Turkmenistan
I have been a patient in a mental hospital more than once, but never more than a week. I would say about four times all together. There was a couple of times when I went there willing, just to escape my life at the time. Then at least two times, I went because others felt that I would be a danger to myself. Even if I am the one who decides to go, as soon as I am there, I am ready to go. Now I can stay inside without leaving the house for days, just as long as I can go when I want to. But do not lock a door and tell me that I can not leave. Suddenly I need to get out right away. I could not imagine being in there for too long.
@CatsandDogs (13964)
I couldn't stand the idea of being locked up either because I'm claustrophobic big time and that would drive me to insanity in a heart beat. I've never been inside of a mental hospital accept to drop a friend off and saw her check in and that was it. I know of someone who was very close to me go in and out of the place where we lived but we knew it was only to get attention which she got. She craved attention since she was a little girl and got it too but she couldn't let go once she grew up.
Wow! it's like the partner is putting his/her own personally into jail, it's sure is bad and good way to take advantage of some one else's freedom.So, what has changed then? If that would have happened tome.....well, i doubt that since my hubby really loves me and there's no way he's gonna put me in a mental ward
@mimiang (3777)
I hac chance to have rotation in mental hospital in the Philippines as a medical student. The patients look pitiful.They were saying things that were out of this world. They were given free food and medicines.Those who get well were brought tom their homes by ambulance if their relatives don't like to get them.
@CatsandDogs (13964)
That's so sad because of the stigma that's placed on these poor folks people have the wrong idea about them. Sure, some are violent but not all of them are and it's an illness that one can't help having. If the person gets the help that they need, they can return to normal society IF society will let them.
I've never been in one myself and I don't work in the mental health field so I can't tell you about any personal experiences. But there is this guy on YouTube who I found a while back where about a year or two ago he did several videos talking a lot about his experiences. He said that he had been committed three times and he basically talked about what it was like leading up to being placed in and all that. Unfortunately it seems he closed his account a few days ago. He said before going to the actual place, he was taken to the ER of a hospital where he filled out a bunch of paper work while having to remain in a room about the size of a closet for around ten hours. It was really pretty interesting and a lot more than I can talk here. A shame he closed his account.
@CatsandDogs (13964)
Were his experiences bad or good? I hope good because he has ever lasting memories. To have bad a experience isn't something anyone wants to remember, that's for sure. It is a shame he closed his account, I would've been interested in seeing it.
@mummymo (23707)
Psychiatric wards were absolutely awful in the bad old days! A lot of people were locked up in them so that their spouse (usually husband) could get them out of their hair! I don't work in a psyciatric ward but my sister does , as an administrator (and my niece is a psycologist) Once my sister was 'held up .'by a patient in her office whilst sorting out the petty cash! SAhe is not like you or I - she glared at the patient and told them she was busy and they apologised and ran off back into the ward and it was only later that my sister realised she could have been in danger! xxxx
@mummymo (23707)
I loe my sister dearly but boy can she be scary! Sounds like maybe I am going to have to start being scared of you too now! xxxx
@Savvynlady (3686)
I worked at a center for adults with either mental or developmentally disabled problems. I worked in the food department taking care of meals for the clients. I stayed there for over eighteen months until the state closed it down; that was a nice place for them too but the state was making cuts and that's what happened. For the most part, the clients was alright; you may have fights and all every once in a while but that's about it.
@CatsandDogs (13964)
That makes me wonder where do they go now since that place was closed down. Hopefully they went to a good place like this one was.
Some people from those kinds of centers are fortunate enough to find placement in supported living agencies. That is where I work at this time. It is for the most part, very good for the clients. It allows them to live in the least restrictive environment possible and still have help. I am proud of where I work, and what I do, but I constantly have to remember that these people have all the rights that I do, and that we work alongside each other to achieve their goals.
@KrauseHome (35507)
Personally I think we have come a long way with people being accepted if they have a Mental Illness, Depression, etc. to where you had to watch it, or people would just go get them locked up and never give them a chance at life as well. You hear so many Scary stories to where it makes you wonder for sure. All I know is that now a days it would actually be quite interesting to work in a lot of the Mental Hospitals and Psych Wards, etc. They have a little more stricter regimine now, and if you want to have someone committed unless the State says they have to stay there, a lot of time they can get out the same day if they want too as well.
@CatsandDogs (13964)
Oh I agree whole heartingly! It has changed and for the better. No matter what the illness is, everybody deserves to be treated with dignity. Back then they didn't treat their patients with dignity but they did do the best that they could with the knowledge that they had so in a sense, we can't fault them too much for that.
@crazydaisy (3899)
I feel very lucky that my parents were very good to me I had ;epiepsy; allot of parents didn't bother to much with there children I was raise out of a family of 5.boys 2.girls. so I was lucky..I met different ones that had the same as me and they were use to teach other doctors about it they even opperater on one of them which ended he looks like he had a stoke which,,,,I agree with you I am happy mother of daughter 32yrs. plus grandmother of 2 children. so what more can I ask for... I am so happy.I raise my daughter on my own with my parents help!! Plus both of my parents are passed away so I feel that did allot for me. So you are right about those meantal hospital they were very [mean] in there... cd
@CatsandDogs (13964)
Back in those days they were mean. I can't imagine living in those days where everything hinged on any one person. You were lucky to have parents who cared for you themselves. I have a wonderful friend who had epilepsy and I saw her take her pills the next morning after a stay over. She was cured by prayers with her church and now she doesn't take any medications at all and is doing fantastic! unfortunately, she's going through a divorce and has a young daughter. Her husband is a dirt bag anyways. Always cheating on her. In fact, I caught him in the act in the state that hubby and I were living thanks to the Army. I even have pictures of him with this girl.
This discussion reminded me of an old song that I knew, that should answer a lot of your questions. Here it is. Listen to this, and hear how it was in the mental hospital in the old days. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvwMIiOUC9o&feature=related (NOT a referal link!1!)
I have never had that experience, and I woudln't know how it was in the old days, but I just bought a book I think might interest you. Hurry Down Sunshine A Father's Story Of Love And Madness Michael Greenberg It's a father's story of his experiences with his 15 year old bi-polar daughter, who was at one point, in a psychiatric ward. I just bought the book today, so I haven't had a chance to read it, but from what I've seen on the cover, and what I've read of your question, it sounds like it might give you some answers. I first heard about it on a BBC broadcast on the BBC World Service.