Does colon cleansing really help?

i was watching an infomercial late night and it was about a colon cleansing product and it said that over the years we have build up of sludge in our colon that can lead us to having like cancer or something and that this diet or regiment will help clean out the free radicals in there and so therefore helping keep your odds down for cancer etc.. my mom has had colon cancer and it runs in my family so of course this would sound like a good idea but with so many products out there i have to wonder what really works and if it even DOES help you like they say.. do you think they can help your health? maybe protect against health problems or cancer in the future? or is it some kind of scam that will make you think that living in the bathroom after treatment is actually going to lead to health and is really messing up your health and etc?
@lilybug (21148)
I have wondered about that before too. I don't know if it really does any good or not. I think with most things out there in the market that there is at least a tiny grain of truth to it. It might not work as well as promised, but I am sure it does something.
im thinking it might clean you out to where you have to make bathroom trips but not enough to reduce risks of cancer and etc
@jillhill (37384)
I don't know.....depends on who you ask. I think I have enough passing by without needing a colon cleansing....it might be up there with the pads on the bottom of your feet....like that turns out to be a big waste of money...at least that is what I have heard.
yeah the pads have been proven to not work.. i think this might just screw up peoples systems such as how when i did the colon test prep my blood sugar and medication levels got all screwy and made me sick!
@mentalward (14697)
You know, moon, I was just thinking about that very thing earlier. Have you ever heard any doctor mention colon cleansing? I haven't. I know you suffer from a few things, just as I do, and never once has any doctor I've seen tell me I should have my colon cleansed. The only people who tell you that you need it are those selling products to help with it. I'd have doubts, no matter how good the infomercial was. Infomercials sell things that "you can't buy in stores". I wonder WHY you can't buy them in stores? Oh, eventually, they always end up in WalMart, but that's usually after they've squeezed out all the money they can from people watching the commercials, then WalMart puts them in a special section dedicated to all those "As Seen On TV" things. I'd ask the doctor before spending my money on anything like that. If the doctor says it couldn't hurt, it might be worth a shot.
usually walgreens gets it first lol.. i am just thinking that when i had to prep for the colon scope test that my blood sugar got all screwed up and my medication all screwed up because the lack of food etc so im wondering if this will screw me up too.. but your right no doc has ever suggested it