Anybody Flown with Pets?

@Aurone (4758)
I am looking at traveling to my parents house for a month. My grandmother is ill and I would like to spend as much time with her as possible. I want to take my cats but am unsure about which airline is the best to use and the most cost effective. I have two cats and I don't see many airlines that will let me take two cats in the cabin with me. Any ideas or experience out there? Which airline is best and cheapest? What kind of kennel should I get?
@ElicBxn (60895)
I would see if you could take at least on onboard, the oldest or most frail one. Also ask the airline if the cargo is pressurized. You will need a rigid carrier, and make sure that you instruct them that they go on top. Honestly, I wouldn't travel on an airline who can't tell you if the plane has the pressurized cargo or not. I'm not sure, but you might be able to travel with both of them if you buy 2 tickets, if you could afford that. Good luck.
@pyewacket (44036)
That's not a bad idea Elic...in principle I wouldn't like the idea of having my pets in any cargo space of a plane, and if it were allowable would buy separate seats just to place the carriers on. I think Aurone should ask if it's permissible that if one buys seats for the carriers if it's then allowable to take BOTH pets into the cabin.
@ElicBxn (60895)
well, they would still have to be under the seat, but if they had their own seat, then it would seem that the airline couldn't deny the animals in the cabin.
@Aurone (4758)
Yeah, the price has really gone up. It is like $125-150 for cabin travel per cat. And a lot of airlines have a so many pet per section limit. Its crazy trying to travel with pets. I don't want to put them in Cargo.
i took american airlines back from arizona with my blue-at the time they had a $75 boarding fee and you need a "pet passport" from the vet stating they had their shots and are well.usually they want a thin carrier for a pet 18 pounds and less,something that can fit under the seat. for two cats,they may ask you to buy 2 tickets for in-cabin,i'd check on that. usually it's a good idea to book in advance with the pet,because they will notify other passengers an animal will be in the cabin area in case anyone is allergic,in which case either you or they will be offered another flight so as to not combine the two.
@Aurone (4758)
I would definitely call because you now have to make a pet reservation. Its crazy trying to fly with cats.
my blue seemed to have fun though.the poor thing went from arizona to the northeast,and when he finally got around to protesting (about the 3rd hour) with a loud "miaow" the stewardessess plied him with tuna from the sandwiches.then he was a happy kitty:)