Many Catholics Leave Faith Over Dissatisfaction

@TLChimes (4842)
Many Catholics Leave Faith Over Dissatisfaction With Teachings on Abortion, Other Issues, Study Finds http://npwf.convio.net/site/News2abbr=daily2_&page=NewsArticle&id=16941&security=1201&news_iv_ctrl=-1 OK, so no matter what your faith is or was.... what would or did make you change your faith. What brings you comfort and scares you enough to keep you faithful or have you turn away? I mean beyond the fact that you just don't beleive the facts or fiction of it.
@sid556 (31000)
I was raised catholic and I just stopped practicing it. I always had questions and doubts anyway. I don't practice any man-made religion. I have my own spiritual beliefs. I have looked at many religions. I just can't and won't subscribe to any one of them. I prefer to keep an open mind on that part of things.
@TLChimes (4842)
I love open minded folks!!!!!
I was raised (and still am) a Missionary Baptist.. While I don't believe that every religion caters to every belief a person has or is like a perfect fitting glove.. this one fits ME well enough that I've stayed. I actually consider myself to be a Bapticostal .. unfortunately that denomination doesn't exist! lol! What keeps me faithful to my religion is my relationship with God and knowing that God isn't the scary entity that many denominations paint him to be.. he is a God of perfect love and offers his grace for the simple taking.. which to me, is pretty darn awesome! I think the problem that many people have that wander away from a religion is they listen to what is taught rather than study for themselves.. I spent years studying and still don't know everything that I would like to know.. but had I sat and just listened to someone else's interpretation.. I would have surely wandered away scared, confused and dissatisfied.
By the way.. your link doesn't work..
@MsTickle (25058)
When I was a mere child myself I had a baby. My Dad threw me out then later insisted I marry the father. He refused to come to the wedding and forbade the rest of the family as well. I was married in my husbands church, Baptist, not my church, Catholic. My husband was conscripted and while he was training I was very lonely. No-one came to visit, I did not have a phone, there was no family love or support for me, not from my family or my husbands. One day, while walking to the shops, pushing the pram, I noticed the doors of the Catholic Church were opened so I decided to "pay a visit". I was just leaving after saying a few prayers when the priest appeared. I asked him to put a blessing on my baby, he asked if she was baptised. I told him she was not and he said he would not bless her till she was baptised. I was crushed. One of the loveliest messages I took away from primary school was that God/Jesus loved little children. My child was innocent but this priest refused a blessing. Whatever faith I had left me that day. I've seen all the teachings as a lie, as false...my religious training no longer made any sense to me. However, I was unable to throw off these things that have been with me since birth & I have prayed and prayed throughout my life to no avail. I've tried to go back to the church but there is only an emptiness there for me...no comfort, no solace, no joy, no meaning, no understanding. So I stay lost, seeking my path.
@TLChimes (4842)
I know about being young, alone and with a baby to care for... hard road. Thank you for sharing such a great but painful story with us. It must have been a moment when you realized that the children are left to fend for themselves according to the faith you were raised in. Keep seeking and you will find a path that fits your walk. It took a lot to find my Home but I did.
@MsTickle (25058)
Thanks for your re-assurance...it's much needed and appreciated. Hugs...
@Adoniah (7515)
I took the long road to be able to follow the religion that I knew I always wanted to follow. I was born to it, but the family denied it, and so I was kept away from it. Today, I feel like I have finally come home. I can be a part of a faith that is ancient and yet new. It is the only thing that I have ever wanted, and I am very happy to be deeply engrossed in it. It is my life and my being. Shalom~Adoniah
@TLChimes (4842)
I am so glad you found... home. It's great when you find the comfort of your faith even if it means breaking away from what you grew up with.
@enola1692 (3325)
well I started off a Catholic an when i met my hubby an we were married in june 7 months later we had our daughter well everyone told me we needed to get our daughter christen so I went to the prist to ask him about it he told me we already put three black marks against my daughter because i married a bapsist an i got pregnent before we got married I was so upset I left crying before he told me whatever the third thing was I thought I damed my baby to hell well she did get christen an I refound an old family faith i went to wicca which was a strange story cause i was hidding in the broom closet not letting anyone know I was a wiccan my hubby told me its time to come out of the closet an he bought me a neckalce which i still wear 10myears later but when i started wearing it some of my family members that were hidding in the broom closet would ask how long i was into wica an letting me use all thier books that they had put back on the subject
@Myrrdin (3601)
And they wonder why people leave the church. When I married my exwife she wanted to do it in a church (not sure why since she is less religious than even I am), the minister there had no problem with the fact that we were both agnostic however when she found out my ex was planning on wearing a veil she refused because the veil is a symbol of virginity and as such it wouldn't be proper. Abosolute nonsense. I went to church the very next week and gave her a piece of my mind.
@enola1692 (3325)
Oh wow I bet that hurt her feelings I can not imagine that is awfull we had my hubbby's friend marry us an it was outside so we didnt get to much grief there
@TLChimes (4842)
LOL isn't it funny who steps out of the closet when you least expect it? I was ordained Spiritual Humanist so I could marry folks without having to deal with too much hassle like that. Your wedding or Baby Naming should fit your beliefs or faith.
@chookie1971 (2276)
As a child I always dreamed of having a church wedding in a traditional catholic church. My dreams were shattered when all the catholic churches said no to my wedding because I was marrying a divorcee and the only way that they would marry us if my husband get an annulment which can take time. My husband said, as far as he is concerned, a divorce is an annulment of the marriage in the eyes of the law. He wasn't prepared to go through an annulment in the eyes of the catholic church. He said it would be like going through another divorce. I can't force him to do something he didn't really want to do. I do question, why have 2 different proceedings for ending the marriage. Why can't the catholic church consider a divorce as good as an annulment. Well my wedding did have a happy ending. I did get married in a park. It was very disappointing to not be able to fulfil my child hood dreams of getting married in a traditional catholic church.
I grew up catholic, but am more spiritual than religious now; although it was just another path that led to me that- not cause of the catholic church. I do think though that the catholic church should change its stance on some things, and people should make up their own minds about what is right- and not rely on someone else to tell them.
@TLChimes (4842)
You would think that somethings would adapt with in the church to allow for such things. It would be a benifit to all concerned. I love out door weddings. I bet yours was wonderful.
It was cloudy all morning and then when we went to sign the official papers, the sun came out.
Hi TLChimes, Yes I was brought up as Chatholic but their teaching made me feeling as though if I put a foot wrong, God will punish me with hell and damnation, I was a child and when I grew up I found my own path which I am happy with, yes I'm Pagan and proud. Tamara
Oops!!!! spelt Catholic wrong. Tamara
@TLChimes (4842)
I think that was the one major thing that changed my faith.... They would tell me how loving God was but then how mean he was at the same time.... I just didn't get how that was ok. My father would never hurt us, he wouldn't send us away for doing something wrong but this God fella was supposed to be a father but was just down right mean.
@syankee525 (6294)
i was brought up cathlic, and to me it really dont matter we all worship God in a different way. the thing i have issues with are those who atten church reg and still think they are better then the one who dont and still want to judge others
@TLChimes (4842)
Judging others is wrong because we all have faults. I know there are some people we judge (mothers who hurt their kids is mine) but that's a bit different.
@dragon54u (31653)
Nothing can scare me away from my faith. I'm a Protestant and I think that there are certain absolutes that there are no getting away from. However, you can't impose your morals on someone else, only live according to what you believe. As for changing religions because there teachings make you uncomfortable, there are churches for everyone. Some people need to be tightly constricted with little freedom and others want more space for their spirits to stretch out. The church is what it is and if it doesn't suit you, don't lose you faith but find a different church. All the pomp and ceremony, the preaching and the condemnation, isn't what God is about--He is all about loving Him as a parent and loving each other. The rest a solid code of morals (the Ten Commandments) and a bunch of window dressing.
@TLChimes (4842)
I love how you put this! I love the line about needing restrictions or room to strech. Well put!!!!!
@savak03 (6676)
I changed my religion when I learned what the Bible really teaches. So many preachers teach their own opinions instead of what is the truth.
@TLChimes (4842)
Opinions ruin many things... politics, religion, marriages.
People ,I believe,, are forever growing, changing their values,listening to outside influences, and generally reevaluating their beliefs. As we explore and expand our knowledge base, we may find our belief system flawed or hipicritical. Sometimes it's not the basic faith that is in doubt but rather the politics of a certain religion. I quess it boils down to a act of conscious.
@TLChimes (4842)
Religion and politics are the downfall of each other. I think the wisest of the faithful are always searching and learning.... out side their faith as well as with in it.
i cant get the link to work i can understand them leaving over those two issues because i think that religion needs to evolve like life does.. im not saying that everything that is wrong should eventually be ok but obviously saying to not do something doesnt work anymore and they should teach how to handle it IF it does type thing.. i changed religions based upon my beliefs that just didnt line up with what i was raised with.. i felt like the beliefs i was raised with was more of a scare tactic and ended up making me a nervous wreck and hating myself all the time and i dont believe the right religion for the person would make them constantly feel that way.. so i chose a different belief that i felt peace with
@TLChimes (4842)
The first responder has a link that works... I'm not sure why the first one failed but I posted a new one as soon as I could. I think a belief that brings peace is what we should reach for. I don't think staying with a faith just because it's all we know is good enough. I think that the churches got in trouble when mothers made their sons become priests just because it was what they thought was the honorable thing to do.
@p1kef1sh (45640)
I am not a Roman Catholic but I am married to one. I would tend to agree that people do leave the church but not necessarily only for the reasons that article sets out. I think that a lot of young people no longer find the church - any church - relevant in their lives. Some return when they have their own children, but many go and never return. The Roman Catholic church in England gained a large number of converts when the Church of England (Anglican) decided to ordain women vicars and homosexual clergy. Personally I have no objection to either. Despite spending hours every week in a Cathedral, I am not especially religious. I was brought up an Anglican and have a belief in a God. But I find religions painfully inconsistent and hypocritical in their teachings and their actions and really can't be bothered with them.
@TLChimes (4842)
"have a belief in a God. But I find religions painfully inconsistent and hypocritical in their teachings and their actions and really can't be bothered with them." Yeah... that about sets up why I am what I am. I think morals are good and here in the states church and morality don't seem to go hand in hand as often as they should. Hungry for money and such but not into the "family and community" that I grew up with.
@Myrrdin (3601)
I was an Anglican, baptized and confirmed... I turned away from the Church after I began to seriously look at the bible, I read the bible cover to cover, and had to flip back a number of times to confirm that what I read was actually what it said. Between that and the teachings that were being encouraged I decided Christianity was not for me. I am agnostic now, and it makes much more sense to me. Agnosticism is not a religion per se, and there is no codified text as each agnostic can carry on their own beliefs. Personally I believe in live and let live, and in the end the truth about god and his will cannot be known by any mortal so you must live your life according to your own sense of morality.
@TLChimes (4842)
Thank you for sharing. I know that it was some of the church (baptist) rules and regs that first got me a little... uncomfortable. Then when I tried the old fashion method of practicing at home, I didn't read the Bible the same as I had been taught to. I'm Earth friendly Pagan with a bit of Spirit Humanist thrown in for flavor.
I am Catholic. I went to a Catholic School from age 3-14. We went to mass once a week and were taugh are church teaches and learned bible stories. I loved that school and all the lessons I learned their. I was so sad that my area did not have a Catholic High School. There are things that I like and dont like about the church but I love my demonation. I have been foruntate to go to many Catholic churches that have very different services(I mean the mass is the same of course but the music is different). I get different meanings from different services. I respect the churches view of things even ones I dont necesarily agree with. Every demonation goes through tuff times. The Catholic Church has gone through tuff times before and has had to change. I believe that the church will have to become some what more lient in its views on certain things if it wants to continue to draw people to it. I think the church should embrace its flocks opinions on certain things. One shouldn't be dammed by their church cause there view on abortion and other issues are different from what the church teaches. I am a woman of faith and I like many people I have my moments of doubt but I always go back to faith.
@TLChimes (4842)
Thank you for your wonderful response. I think we all feel there is good and bad about our faiths but sometimes we do find other paths. That you are comfortable and true to yourself and your faith is simply wonderful.
@Pose123 (21666)
Hi TLChimes, There was a time not so many years ago, when Roman Catholics in particular, were very faithful to their church, but times have really changed. I find that a great many young people are not going to any church and it doesn't bother me at all, if they still have good strong moral teaching. There have been many scandals in all churches and that certainly upsets me,as I'm sure it does others. I think the church would have to change a lot before I would become a great supporter again, and at the same time some people would never leave no matter what happened. Blessings.
@TLChimes (4842)
Dearest Pose, I feel as you do in that moral teachings (a moral base) is important but doesn't nessersarily come from the church. And the support of the church comes from the self of the follower... the way they think, feel, and take in their faith. Thank you for adding to the discussion... as always.
@John4Christ (1598)
Well i am a roman catholic.......and still now i continue to be......well offcourse there are many things which i am really dissatisfied about......whatever is going on in the church is definitely not right.......I feel that the church system is getting so bureaucratic......I had to do baptism of my niece a few months back and they made us run so much that we finally decided to do in another roman catholic church( things went well as the priest there knew my dad well)........ There are so many things which has not gone down so well with me......distributing the holy communion in hand, the lay people distributing the communion,etc I fail to understand that, when there are so many religious sisters around what is the need for it to be given to someone else.....it is so sad to see that the roman catholic church and the religious sisters these days are more interested in running schools, rather than giving us some solid teachings about the church and the bible......... The youths of my church are outstanding.....when i say "outstanding" it is not in the literal sense......they always stand outside the church no matter how early they come.....not all of them but most of them and when it comes to picnics,get together they are always ahead......most of them don't know about the bible and what it offers......... I still fail to understand that why is our church not ready to adopt the "Catholic Charismatic Renewal" in our church services. they feel it is not right and not a good thing......infant I just love attending this kind of service......otherwise the mass is just a regular thing with no spiritual experience.....and it it approved by the catholic church........ After all this I have not changed to any other religion or sects of religion......because I feel I follow Jesus and I was baptized once during my birth and I am happy with it.....I pray for the catholic church that it might accept the renewal and save the church......... Praise god !!!!!
@TLChimes (4842)
**** link that works folks: http://npwf.convio.net/site/News2?abbr=daily2_&page=NewsArticle&id=16941&security=1201&news_iv_ctrl=-1 (I hope) sorry if it doesn't**** Thank you, John. I really am thankful you took the time to share your view. It helps to understand.
Hello my friend TLChimes Ji, It is not only with Catholics, it is common nature with everyone of us, if it does not suit well, just voilate it. Every religion ha sstrict rules, following them may not be digestable to one's prefeerance. In my own religion, there are many. May god bless You and have a great time.