Lily of the Valley

Lily Of The Valley - Transplanted and doing very well
@webeishere (36353)
This shot is of some of the Lily of the Valley's that I transplanyted a week ago. One has the bells forming already. The flowers don't last long is the only set back but I love their look when in full bloom. Do you like or have Lily of the Valley? What flowers do you have in your yard etc? HAPPY POSTINGS FROM GRANDPA BOB!!~
@blackbriar (9080)
I like Lily of the Valley but don't have any in my flower beds yet. Grandpa Bob, I have so many different perennials that I forgot what most of them are called. lol I found out that the grass I have growing is Variegated Silver Grass and ya know what? It really does a fantastic job of choking out the weeds. There is not one weed or lawn grass growing where I planted it and it's nice to look at. It is also an excellent background for most any color flower long as the flowers are tall being the grass gets to be about 2' tall when full grown. Someone I met through the freecycle network brought over some tiger lilies and some other perennial few days ago and I gave her some other perennial that I found in a roadside ditch last year that blooms pale blue. I got some creeping sedum from another freecycle member last fall that only gets 6-8" tall and dark red leaves.
@webeishere (36353)
I have a lot as well that I forget what they are etyc as well. We have some beautiful Minnesotan ornamental grass in an area here that looks great. Ive got a couple seedums as well in an area with some lilies, daylilies, and beebalm also. The bees and butterflies love that area. HAPPY POSTINGS FROM GRANDPA BOB!!~
• Marion, Kansas
I have lots of iris that I have to get finished planting. I certainly am glad that they are really hardy as I did not get them all given away or planted last fall. They are happily growing in a cardboard box right now. My husband the junk loving mechanic kind of keeps me from having a beautiful yard.
Now that's one thing I put my foot down on. I refuse to have my hubby save parts -just in case- cause that all adds up quickly to piles of junk everywhere. Yes we go junking but we don't keep the scrap sitting around for several months. Soon as we accumulate a 6'x8' trailer load, out it goes to get money for it.
@tyc415 (5706)
We used to have some type of lily in the front flower bed that grew really tall, the flower was a salmon/orangish color. Very pretty but it just about took over. I am not sure what flowers we have, we mostly have plants. We did get a hanging basket of Impatience and the hummingbirds like it.
Those are daylilies, tyc. I have them around most my trees in the yard and they do like to take over. Thankfully, my mower does a fantastic job of keeping them in check. lol
@webeishere (36353)
Yeah I've tons of dayliles that I transplanted recently as well. HAPPY POSTINGS FROM GRANDPA BOB!!~
@Polly1 (12650)
I love Lily of the Valley, They are one of my favorites. We had a bunch of them growing along the side of the house when I was a kid. I have a few growing here too. My Hostas are really coming up good. Soon I will be getting flowers to plant in my baskets. Isn't it wonderful, Spring has sprung.....
Hi GRANDPA BOB, I love Lily of the Valley but I haven't any in my garden, I may have to go the the garden centre and buy some, we have flowers called Blue Bells and it alover my front and back garden, their little heads are like bells and they are blue so that is why they are called Blue Bells, they spread every year. Tamara
@webeishere (36353)
Once these set root they spread like crazy and need thinning every two years or so. HAPPY POSTINGS FROM GRANDPA BOB!!~
I have those Blue Bells growing wild in my yard as well. They don't run rampant like the creeping charlie does though.
Pretty! Lily of the valley is my birth flower.. ya know, like birth stone.. and so on.. this is the flower for May.
@lilybug (21148)
I think I just responded to a more recent one of yours about these things. I have always thought they were pretty. I always liked having them around when I was a kid.
@Darkwing (21588)
My grandad and my mum used to have quite large areas of lily of the valley in their gardens, but I don't see it about much these days. I think perhaps it has lost its popularity. I like the plant, but as I said, it doesn't seem to be available so much now. Brightest Blessings.
@dragon54u (31608)
I love lily of the valley, they are one of the most beautiful flowers I've ever seen and the scent is heavenly! Can you buy seeds for them? I've never seen any. I've never seen any of the plants for sales, either.
Now I've got that old hymn Lily of the Valley in my head. It's a good song, thanks for bringing up your lilies. I, of course, don't have any of them. However, I can grow a weed like nobody's business!
@MisterPlus (1917)
I have four kinds of mandevillas and some hibiscus too. I love planting it makes me forget my problems. I sell most of the plants I have propagated. I have plants that I don't even know the name, the scientific name so I can check how to care for them in the internet. I have lots if ixora too. I even sow the seeds of the ixora pollinated by insects. Isn't it amazing?
@guybrush (4661)
The lilies are very beautiful. We don't have L of the V, but we have small Princess Lilies (which I don't like very much, because they are orange and that's my least favourite colour), and Arum Lilies around one of the ponds.
@madasp (563)
Lily of the valley is one of my favorites. We just moved into our house last year and the former owners had a lot of perennials already established, but no lily of the valley. I plan on filling in the north side of the house with them, but I figure it will take a while to get them all as full as I want. Right now we have tiger lilies, tons of hostas, ferns, mums, and a couple other things that I can't think of the names of right now LOL
We have Lily of the Valley too! I love them. They are so delicate and fragrant too. We also have quite a few other flowers but they haven't bloomed yet. It is still too early for many. One that comes up and is doing well is Primrose. I found them near a wooded area and transplanted them in our yard. We have quite a few plants now and they are great!
• Marion, Kansas
I have never had lilies of the valley. I think they smell awesome, but I am not sure where I would plant them at this time. I have a lot of Stars of Bethlehem, but they do not have fragrance. They are beautiful shining there in the deep green foliage.