Canada is blacklisted????

@saundyl (9690)
I saw this news article on yahoo today saying that the US had added Canada (and a couple other countries) to a copyright blacklist. Honestly I wasnt quite sure what caused it because I know that I like to actually own the software i have - it makes for better tech support and help if i have problems. I pay for an XM satellite subscription - which means i rarely even buy a CD because theres such a wide variety of music on there. Mp3's i want i pay for on itunes or rip them from cds to my computer - i have legal copies and im not sharing them If i want to keep a movie i buy it otherwise i rent it. I know alot of people like me who would rather own the software than take the time to download it, risk a virus and then have to find a license and a crack and all the jazz to make it work..then find out its missing bits. If i buy a movie i admit i make a copy of it to watch and keep the original in the case. But thats legal here. I also make copies of my games i buy and keep them in a case. As for computer software - most people who come into the shop i work in have legit copies of software - I'm sure the people who dont are actually pc savvy enough they really dont feel the need to PAY someone else to fix their problems. On occasion you get a person that says my son installed this i dont have the discs to which we say you can have it installed but its this much for the license. People tend to just buy it. The one thing I'd admit to doing is occasionally downloading a TV show that i missed and deleting it after i watch it. HOWEVER if NBC and CBS and those wouldnt make it so you HAD to be in the States to watch the show online i wouldnt even bother to download the 20 minute show. I feel just a tad like they want to point fingers but ya know what the majority of poeople arent going to go to the hassle of downloading, pirating etc the stuff they want...its far easier to go to the store and buy it or if its a movie watch it with a friend who bought it...and i know full well theres americans that pirate things more than i do. Do you know people who pirate things? Wouldnt you rather have a legit copy of something rather than risking being in trouble? Is the list pointing fingers at people in general or the laws of the countries on the list????
@owlwings (38907)
• Cambridge, England
I think the list is not directed at people in general so much as at the laws of the particular countries mentioned which, perhaps, don't cover things in the way that the US (or rather the people who worry about such things) would like. I do not agree with 'pirating' as a general rule but I am not averse to 'borrowing' stuff I am interested in from time to time (or keeping 'safe backup copies' for friends). If I actually find that I am using the software I've 'borrowed' regularly or listening to the music that I've ripped off someone else's CD, then I will buy it as soon as I can afford to or need an upgrade. I am well aware that people sell things in order to pay for the considerable expense they have incurred in making it (but also to make a profit so that the wheels work, of course). Sometimes 30 days (if you even get that) is not enough as a sensible trial period.
@saundyl (9690)
I agree with the trial period not always being long enough. I have borrowed games from friends - played them a bit and uninstalled them when i returned them. I keep back up copies of software for my mom but rarely ever use the stuff she uses (she's into video editing and photo editing and stuff and i like games and stuff in my not work time)
Sometimes I like to visit torrent sites to see what they have and I do see a lot of TV shows I would like to have but usually they are like 5 GB of size or larger and I don't feel like going threw the trouble of downloading these tv shows then trying to find a file splitter to cut them down into a file small enough to burn to a dvd disk or CD-R. It's actually a lot of hassle to mess with these types of files if you don't have the right programs to use to edit these huge files. I would rather buy these TV shows on amazon.com . Sometimes I'm lucky and I can find TV shows on DVD gently used at a pawn shops at rock bottom prices.
@saundyl (9690)
I like getting movies and tv shows from amazon - I've also found some really good ones at garage sales, second hand stores and the like.
Thanks for reminding me about garage sales!.. I haven't been to any in ages and now I have a reason to go to garage sales again, to find TV dvd's :) I'm currently trying to collect all the seasons of "Scrubs" I haven't been lucky enough to find tv dvd's at thrift stores though.
Ah, Ok.. Thanks for the info. I didn't know they were broken down. I've never downloaded full seasons before.
@cjmaltby (34)
the americans you have to love them, when things are not going there way or when they are in trouble in any way they take there mind off of there own problems by pointing the finger at anything and everything to make themselves feel better about themselves....
@saundyl (9690)
LOL hadnt thought of it as a reaction to things not going their way.
The UK is not much better lol. Y'all have your own issues, and do plenty of finger pointing of your own. No country is perfect, and neither are their leaders.
@rebelmel (1387)
Honestly, television shows that are on the internet? I don't understand why downloading them is illegal. Makes no sense. If I missed an episode of the office, I don't want to wait a week for it to be on the NBC website so that it can pause and buffer a million times. I too, would rather download and watch it then delete it. It's not like I am charging people to watch it, or selling copies. It really makes no sense if it's a television show that's on free television anyway. I feel like it would be the same thing if I were to record a tv show for a friend who can't catch it. I understand the whole movie thing, because half of them are still in theaters! But either way, some of us do what we gotta do =) Copying movies when you buy them is a GREAT idea, and I had never thought of it. I take terrible care of my dvds, so I should start doing this! Thanks for the idea!
@saundyl (9690)
I agree about the tv shows. I'm hard on my movies too - i drop them they fall off things. i take them out of my laptop and set them down and they get scratched - Copying them makes sure its just a copy thats damaged and easy to replace then. Your welcome for the idea!
• Marion, Kansas
Like you, I want everything legal. I think it is just a way to draw attention away from ourselves. I think more people download illegally in the US. I do not think that you can name pirates by the country that they live in. Of course, you are well versed enough to know what is and is not legal. I notice also lots of commercials about cable theft lately.
@saundyl (9690)
How would one steal cable?? I agree you cant name pirates by where they live. That'd be a type of racism/discrimination in a way. I did try downloading movies at one point as a "poor" student about 8 years ago and decided i felt too guilty about it and they werent even a good quality so i stopped after a couple movies.