Why Does Life Have To Be So Terrible Sometimes???

The other day my daughter came home from school and said that they had a visitor come to their classroom. The lady was a haloucaust survivor.
I really couldn't imagine what she must have felt nor would I want to. But its really odd that this topic came up today because in church this morning the sermon was over 1 Job, which tries to answer the questions of why bad things happen... The short answer is the devil (and sometimes) it is a test of faith. Job was such a man that believed wholeheartedly in our Lord and had a strong faith and was very wealthy- the devil said to God if you were to stop protecting him- if Job were to know loss, then the devil said Job would turn away from the Lord- but he didn't and with each great loss, his faith only grew stronger. (I know that seems a little off topic- but my point is the Devil is why bad things happen- he is a real force in this world). Sorry for going on and on! And I do hope this makes sense.
Yes, I believe that the Lord does give us many tests in life. It's just that the fact that the Lord would give her the test to kill her child so that others can live just seems so harsh to me! OH...but then again, (and this just now came to me) Isn't that what the Lord did for us when Jesus did so that we can live? WOW! Talk about an epiphany! Thanks for responding.
Faith is an amazing thing- I think another way that one could look at it is this... Maybe she didn't have the faith that the Lord would protect her and her child, so she acted on her own. We will never know for sure. I do like how you connect it with Jesus- maybe you're right. Does any of this make sense?