Getting the house fixed and all at the same time

@suspenseful (40316)
The guys from Church were here this afternoon, checking out where the ramp was going to go. So tomorrow morning they will be here with the plans. And they said they were going to do the ramp and the bathroom all at the same time. The trouble is it will take a week and a half and we only have one bathroom and me being a woman of a certain age plus, when I have to go, I have to go and I will make a beeline to wherever. So for those of you who renovated their places, did you stay in the house while the renovations were going on or did you stay with friends or stay at a motel?
@dragon54u (31608)
Fortunately, I've never had that problem and I'm sorry you are! Can you tell them you have to use it and they'll leave for a few minutes? You could have a portable potty in your bedroom, surely you have one of those from when your husband had his stroke? You could empty it when the workmen have gone. Yucky, but at least you'll have some privacy. It'd be really inconvenient for you two to stay in a hotel, not to mention expensive.
hi dragon54u,we think a like!!!
@suspenseful (40316)
They need at least a week and a half. It will be major renovations. We are going to stay in a motel, but I do not know with my husband being handicapped whether they will accept us. At least I will not have to cook dinner.
@dragon54u (31608)
I hope it's comfortable! Here in the U.S., a hotel or motel would have to accept you because it's against the law not to make everything accessible to wheelchairs. I hope it goes well!
@cynthiann (18619)
• Jamaica
This is difficult. You cannot stay out all day and just thinking about not wanting to disturb the workmen is enough for yoku to think that you want to go. If I could afford it then I would move out. If I couldn't move out or move in with friends then I think that I may resort to purchasing a potty to use!. I seem to remember that you do not drive? If you do drive thenI would be going to the mall very frequently. This is a real problem for you. I hope that you can think of a solution. Blessings
@suspenseful (40316)
I would have preferred to go live with friends and I am sure had their houses been wheelchair accessible, we would have. But we had to stay in the motel. We are still paying for it and right now with the van, and all the repairs plus the upgrades, etc. piano, it will take all his retirement savings.
@stephcjh (32328)
I have never had a home rennovated before but I am sure it would be a major inconvenience. I have to have the bathroom when I need it also.
@suspenseful (40316)
We went to a motel and it took over three weeks. That three weeks in the motel were rather expensive and then we had to move to another motel because we only got to stay in the first 2 and a half weeks. On top of that, that second motel was no where near where we lived so I could not go home and check on the progress and it was stuck in the middle of nowhere =- no shopping center, no mall, just the highway and a residential streets.
@Lakota12 (42684)
I would find a chamber pot and put in bedroom OR would got to motel as I like staying in motels for awhile!
@Lakota12 (42684)
thnaks for BR
@suspenseful (40316)
Would have gone to the neighbors - but then my husband's breathing was affected so we really had to go. And on top of that, my husband transferred all his retirement money into the checking account and there is not enough to pay for it all. So we are stuck.
@Lakota12 (42684)
I hear ya!
hi suspenseful I am glad they are going to build a ramp and do the bathroom at the same time but wow it would be hard'as most of us women at a certain age do have to go at once whenwe have to'go or else.I would suggest if you can either staying in a motel for that time or at a friends house if their home is convenient for you and your hubby in his wheel chair. I know that would cause problems in some homes,now most motels now make provisions for handicapped people.
@suspenseful (40316)
We stayed at the motel. There is only one of my friends who has a house that is wheelchair accessible and they have a daughter who is not only needs a wheelchair and the ramp, but she is also what used to be called mentally handicapped, very serious, so it would not have been right for us to go to live there. I sure missed being in my home. Most of my friends live in the neighborhood and I really missed them even though a couple came to visit us and I saw them at church every Sunday.
@ip5217 (1656)
I used to live in my grandmother's house when I was still a kid. I can still remember she would have our house renovate at least once a year. Well, the house required a lot of maintenance work because it was built in 1975. We never left the house because she really wanted to pay attention to details. That's how meticulous she is. Good thing we had around 4 bathrooms in that house so convenience is not really an issue during that time. Meanwhile, I still suggest that you stay at home while they are working on the renovation so that you can also pay attention to details. At the same time, you can address anything that needs your decision.
@byfaithonly (10716)
This is wonderful that the men from church are helping with all this work but I know what you mean when you gotta go you gotta go :) I actually gutted my own bathroom several years ago but when I did it the toilet came out new floor went in and new toilet followed - all in the same day. I was a little younger so stayed in the house oh, I was doing the work, and just ran across the street when I had to go, sons went out behind the shed :(
@suspenseful (40316)
I sure missed staying at home. It was not like when we go on a vacation because when we do, we might stay with relatives and besides we are very cost conscious, and stay at some place that offers discounts, but this place well was the only place nearby that was wheelchair accessible available at the time that was nearby. They happened to have a convention on at the time and most of the other motels were full. As it was we could not stay in it the whole three weeks because our room was booked for later on.
We have done each of those, friend, motel and in home, but if possible, I prefer to stay at home.
@suspenseful (40316)
We would have, but my husband was so sensitive to just a little dust in the air, that he would start coughing so we had to have the whole house cleaned up and on top of that when we returned he still could not breathe that well, so we had to have the ducts clean and eventually got a new furnace. That is all it took.
@wildcat48 (782)
Dear suspenseful,I guess if you trust them, then i would go to a friends house .I know where you coming from.May be a toilet potty,you can take in another room?That way you can stay at home.I wouldn't stay a a motel cast to much for a whole week.maybe stay with friends for a day or two then motel.
@suspenseful (40316)
My friends have families and my husband had a stroke and can hardly get around. He says we can stay in a motel, but I would miss my computer and do not want to buy a lap top yet. And I do not know if we can use the motel's computer to check our email or not.