How many times can we format our computer?

@pratik87 (1928)
Is there any limitation in the number of times in formatting the computers? Will it affect the system if we format the system very often? One of my friends used to format his system very often, some time he would do it 3 or 4 times in a month due to virus attack.
@bigott (619)
The answer is infinity.The sectors of a hard drive are vitually indestructible.I guess it's a better alternative than using a antivirus. Well with the intensity i use the internet i have to do it on every sunday.But one has to make sure to prepare the backup before doin it
@pratik87 (1928)
yes that is the main concern i think. to back up the data. thanks for your response.happy mylotting.
@Mac6999 (706)
computers can be formatted as many times as you like. There is not limit. I usually do mine once every six months. If your friend has to do it 3 to 4 times a month he probably has major problems. Tell him to use an Antivirus like Kaspersky.
@cyrus123 (6383)
I don't know about this. I scan my computer everyday checking for viruses. I don't know if this is the same thing or not. I just know that my computer is infected with Adware-BHO.gen.q and it can't be completely removed. I have McAfee and I've sent it to them in a .zip file twice. I haven't heard anyhthing from them, though. I'm sorry I'm not much help. Maybe some of the other mylotters can help you. Kathy.
@pratik87 (1928)
i had mcafee too but it is not good enough to clean viruses i sugges you use some other antivirus. formatting means deleting all the content of the hard drives so u need to backup the data before u do that if the data is important and you do not want to lose it. and the virus also gets cleaned up if you format.
@cyrus123 (6383)
Hi pratik87! Thank you. I was beginning to wonder if McAfee was all that good. I have another virus remover on my desktop but if I want to get it free of charge, they recommend that I sign up for some offers. One of the mylotters told me about it. I can't remember what the name of it is. What kind of virus remover do you use now? Kathy.
@Mac6999 (706)
Adware-BHO.gen.q is a spyware I think. McAfee will not be able to get rid of it. It might clean it when it does a scan, but it will keep on coming again. You'll need a spyware remover like Spyware Doctor to get rid of it. Hope this helps
@sanuanu (11238)
I have heard that excess formatting lessen the life of our hard disk but since the new Satta disk has come, it allows us to format our pc more than often. I use to format once in 3 - 4 months, Last time I formatted it in January. Since then, it hasn't get caught with viruses so, it is running smooth!