market drama

@Trensue (5265)
A mother and child were in line waiting to check out. The child had saved her money for a purchase and had finally at the check out stand selected a small ball. It was $.78. The child had $26.54, but had decided on spending only $.78 on this small ball. The mother did not agree with the choice. She kept explaining to the child that she had earned the money and she could buy whatever she like, but she would take the ball out of the child's hand and show her other options, most of which were candy. Typically, I bring a book so I can get caught up reading instead of drama, but I had forgotten my book in the truck. This went on and on. Finally the Mom tried humiliation as a tactic. She said to the child "Everyone here thinks you are acting like a stupid baby because you want that ball." That was the button pusher for me. "Excuse me, I would appreciate it if you not tell your daughter what I think. I am perfectly capable of telling her myself. And if it really is her money as you keep saying then she can buy what ever she wants, like you keep saying. Do us all a favor and let the child have the ball instead of stuffing her full of sugar. It would seem to me she has made a wise choice with the ball." Of course she told me it was none of my business and I replied "It was not my business until you told the child how I felt, it was only very irritating to that point." Why do parents put their children through this kind of drama?
@mathss1 (1182)
Parents think they know what is better for their kids ? You did the right thing in supporting the child .
@Rainegurl (2158)
Hi, Trensue. I am confused by the mom's attitude. Why did she keep insisting for her child to choose something else, I wonder It may be none of your business, but you were right in telling her off like that. What she was doing and saying may have a negative impact on the child. Sometimes, we have to interfere to help. I just hope the mom realized that though. Have a great day!
@Trensue (5265)
Who knows - maybe they have thousands of balls in their house - I know it had nothing to do with me, but my mouth just seems to have a mind of its own. I feel sorry for my parents because this is not new - I have been this way a long time.
@Adoniah (7523)
Weird, the child shows good sense and the Mother is an idiot. The world is going to hell in a hand basket. How is that child ever going to survive that Mother. Good for you for not taking that idiots garbage. I never like people putting words in my mouth especially to children. Children have a hard enough time growing up in this confusing world we live in today as it is. Once again, I think you made a wise choice Tensue! Shalom~Adoniah
@bonbon664 (3480)
I would have been thrilled if my kid picked a ball over candy. Why in the world would this be an issue? I'm stumped. Good for you for speaking your mind.
@yoyozhou (356)
Yup,when I was a little girl,my mother also did that to me.At that time,I felt a little angry,But now I think maybe parents just want to save money.They are hard to make money.
wow, you handled that situation so well, i dont think id able to go up to that mother and tell her that. :)
@chaselee (240)
Actually, I find the mother weird. Most mother would be happy to see that their children is learning how to spend wisely. But I guess the mother just wanted to see her kid happy by buying all the things that she can buy with her money.
Jeez that sounds crazey to me. I mean no one should speak for others when out in public but than again I have more than liekyl done that myself. I guess when we parents are outside at a store we might get a little embrassed. I agree with you about the fact if it was her money than why not let her have what she wants? I guess maybe someone is a little nutty or something:) Anyway happy mylotting and we can only hope for the best for the little child:)
@anniefannie (1743)
i don't know why some parents are like that, i REMEMBER WHEN MY DAUGHTER WAS ABOUT 12 SHE HAD HER OWN MONEY AND GOT this ugle purse but it was her money and i said nothing.it was puple real puple.lol
@asherem2 (257)
• Thailand
That mom will have her hands full later on - she's way, way below the measurement of trust factor when it comes to her child. Saying one thing but not meaning it, such stupidity - her child got more sense than her! I hope the self-image of the child will not be affected - its kinda of traumatic for them to be humiliated in the public. I guess, that mom needs to go back to Mother class 101.