Diabetic/diabetes

i just want to share about my mother who is suferring from diabetes. She was diagnosed when she was still in college. It runs in our family, my grandfathers and my uncle died because of this sickness. My mom is already 67, she only have one kidney and she have asthma, hypertension and gout. She have this because of her diabetic. We tried alternative medicines from invasive to non invasive. Sometimes it helps, sometimes its not. Now what we trying to do with her is lessen eating foods most especially those are not allowed to diabetic. Maybe anyone here knows the most effective way.
ok every person with diabetes is different, my day who is 58 now has had it since he was 16. He is the only person in his side that has it. So i, being 17 was praying that i wouldnt get it. I have watched my diet lately and i am very active ( i am NOT a couch Potato) therefore i show no signs of it. I do indeed have a meter and i do test my self from time to time, just to see where i am. I am usually in the very good area ( 91-120 ). Now my dad has to watch his diet and not eat any sugar or anything like that unless he is low. There is not a cure for diabetes, so dont try anything to cure it. all the things she has ( your problem ^^) are symtpoms of diabetes. Ok the foods she cant eat are sugary foods, like candy or something sweet unless she needs it to bring her BS ( Blood Sugar) up.
I myself i also monitor my sugar so in every chance i get to check my sugar i do it. Last year i had my blood check up just to make sure that everything is ok with because all my relatives from my great grandfather up to my mom have diabetic. My mom have 2 siblings and all of them are diabetic.
@Citychic (4078)
Hello friend, my dad suffers from it too and most likely it comes from having eaten too much sugar when he was younger. Of course some people have the type where they are born with it but that was not the case with my dad. Anyways if you can get ur mother to exercise that would help out a great deal. I'm sure you've heard her mention something about it b4, my dad knows what he needs to do which is to cut back on foods that are high carbohydrate and to exercise. Those are really about the only two things that i know of that can help. Even if you can only get her to exercise by walking an additional thirty minutes a day I'm sure it would make a big difference in her overall health. They have walking videos out on the market that you can get right from a place like walmart if she don't fancy going outside to walk. Wishing you all the best. Always try to say encouraging words to get her to keep moving.
I always tell me my mom to walk even for 15mins or do some easy exercise, she do that sometimes but sometimes when she walk longer than the usual, she will a headache and start palpitating. So what we did we tell her not to eat after 6. She only eat fish and vegetables.
@KrauseHome (35517)
Personally for me, there is not one set solution or answer for people who are Diabetic, and what works for one, does not necessarily work well for another. That is why there are many different advices and medications out there as well. I am Diabetic and now Insulin dependant due to other Health issues as well, so for me I have to rely on Insulin to live. So besides learning to watch what affects my Blood Glucose levels more, is watching what I eat in terms of what types of foods I eat as well. For me, there is no one easy solution, but what works is the best for that person as well.
Thanks for sharing your experiences and it sad to know that your insulin dependent. Your right there are lots of ways and means and the reason i post this discussion is for me to get knowledge that i still dont know, it might be good for my mother.
@Bevsue (251)
Diabetes is in my family too. I think it is really important to get as much exercise as possible even when people are physically handicapped enough that they cannot do what normal healthy people consider exercise. Just keep moving as much as possible walking, gardening, etc. Also pay attention to serving sizes Portion control matters especially for carbs and sugars. A serving of fruit juice is 4 ounces--that is one of those tiny little fruit juice glasses, not a regular size drinking glass. A full big glass of fruit juice has just as much sugar as a big glass of soda