Visiting old churches.

@Margajoe (4720)
Germany
Do you like to visit different old churches? Do you feel overwhelmed by there beauty and history? I love to visit old churches , they are so beautiful. Full of mystery somehow. Too bad most of the churches are not always open now a days. Are churches always open in your country? Take care.
@ulalume (714)
Artistically and architecturally speaking some churches are pretty sweet. I personally like a lot of Gothic feeling church buildings. Perhaps because they have an essence of darkness that contrasts with the general "light" in the ideologies. Most churches I see around here are open (and if they're closed, they end up being demolished or something). The main church with this Gothic feeling that comes to my mind is the one in NYC that is pretty famous for many reasons. I have taken occasional trips to the city and every time I go I generally take some time to see that church building just because it is so awesome looking. I am quite the fan of aesthetics and church buildings are one of the epitomes in my books due to their aesthetic qualities. Does a church need to look pretty? No, but its pretty sweet when they do. It allows non-believers like myself to enjoy their existence in a way.
@Margajoe (4720)
Yes, I see what you mean. Nicely put. I have never been to a Gothic church. I will have to see one some time. Is it very scary?
@jheLaichie (4439)
yes i do. i am catholic and we have many old churches here in the philippines. when i went to our old place in visayas to be specific bohol island, its so full of old churches. its even way back 1300's. and im proud of that heritage of ours. my dad and grandparents on his side are all from bohol island. and if money would not be a problem we want to always go their to visit cousins, aunts, uncles, grandparents as well. to keep that family bonding.
@Margajoe (4720)
That sounds very nice. It seems nice to have a big family. I never had a big family. Churches are so beautiful. The older the nicer.
St. Paul's Cathedral - One of the famous landmarks of Calcutta.
I love visiting old churches and cemeteries…I find in them a treasure trove of information about the history of that place. My city Calcutta is an old place with myriad influences over time. Most prominent among them are the British who were here for around two hundred years. So naturally we have old churches and cemeteries too. Both are I think open on all days or there maybe a weekly off day but I must say, all these places are just so wonderful. Visiting the churches or walking thru the cemetery, you just get a feel of bygone days and people who walked the same path you are walking now. The cemetery is full of people of all ages…the elderly, the young soldiers, children…all of whom came from the distant shores, never to go back and breathe their last in this land which they made their own. It brings tears to me eyes really, as I try and imagine those bygone days. And the churches with their stained glass décor are so beautiful and peaceful inside…you can actually feel the presence of the Holy once inside. I have attached below a pix of St. Paul’s Cathedral, built in the year 1847 and one of the most famous landmarks of my city.
@Margajoe (4720)
Thank-you for the comment and picture. I never meet anyone who like to walk in cemeteries. I thought I was the only one. hahaha! I asked my BF a couple of weeks ago. But, he looked at me as if I had lost it. I find the presents of something there too. Maybe it is just the reminder, that we are not here forever. That there is more than this life. Somehow that comforts me. Take care, have a nice day.
@Ravenladyj (22937)
I actually do enjoy taking in the beauty of an old church..particularly the old cathedrals...Of course ANY old building is something I truly appreciate...Thers is always such character in a really old building and the fact that they were made like they were without all of todays high tech modern machines just facinates me....
@Margajoe (4720)
Yes I think so too. Especially the pyramids. That is really a miracle how they did that. Some believe aliens build them, because they are so perfectly set. I myself cannot understand, how people with no tech machines could have build so well. I would like to visit those too. Take care.
@efc872 (1078)
• Jamaica
I love the Architecture of churches, the workmanship put in to produce such magnificent structures. As to the mystery that surrounds them, it could be created by the graves or the unexplained theories that you have accept blindly.
@Margajoe (4720)
Yes that is true. I love the Architecture too. That is why I don't like it when they put modern chairs in the church, where there used to be rows of wooden (what do you call them? banks?couches?) sit places.
@punlonnjack (1309)
i thought i was strange until you posted this.i have a obsession with taking pictures of churches.there are some amazing buildings out there.when i travel i notice the different styles of churches and your right they have a type of mystery within them.:)
@Margajoe (4720)
If you are strange then I am too. At least we are not alone. I really enjoy old churches. I was in an old church close to home one day. I was disappointed to see they did not leave it in it's old state. It had modern chairs in it. It just did not feel right. hahaha! Take care.