Do you collect coins?

I find myself saving coins. I have a nickel that is from 1956 and a quarter from 1966. I also have a host of other coins I am saving. I am not sure what it is I should be doing to preserve these coins. let alone which coins are worth saving. How do you collect your coins? what makes you save them the way you do? Thanks friends
@aseretdd (13736)
I have a few coin collections myself... one is all .10 centavos in different dates... but nowadays... since the government phased out the use of old ones... it is quite difficult to add to my collection... when i was working in the US... i started collection quarters from different states... but i was not able to complete that... i think i have like 35... and i hope i can collect all 51 states in the future...
I hope you can complete your collection some day as well. I hope I can complete mine too. Thanks
@akhapr (25)
I need 5 more. Best of luck. US mint is starting a national park quarter coins pretty soon.
@spalladino (17924)
My ex used to collect coins so I know a little bit about it. What makes a coin valuable, along with it's age, is whether or not there were a lot of that particular coin minted and the condition the coin is in. You want there to still be a lot of detail left on the coin and the edges should not be worn. Some coins have a letter on them, for instance the letter "S", which I don't remember what it means, but the letter can also add to the value of a coin. There are books available for coin collectors that will tell you what to look for so, if you're really interested in this, you should get one. They also sell plastic coin holders to hold your coins. These help to protect them from the elements.
I just left ebay checking the prices for the coin holders. I am going to start with buying one of them. Wash my old coins really well and place them there. I am really into this coin collecting now. Thanks
@wakinsey (141)
I save coins so I don't have to carry around change in my pocket. They are also useful when you are broke.
@harryt123 (327)
I myself have not gotten in the hobby to collecting coins but although it is quite profitable if it is a rare coin or one that would be valuable in years time. I did at a point collect the state quarters as they were being released and I do try to keep some sort of a collection of them just so I could have all of them.
@karagala (447)
I save them because their values increase as they grow old and much more than that we get pieces of history in our possession. I will hand them down to my grandchild until they hand it down, down and down. I hope the world does not end in 2012. The value of my coins will be very high then but I won't be around then to enjoy the income that they get if they sell it. Well, for now, it's just about collecting pieces of history. I think they're better than paper. Paper rots. Textbooks rot. These metal pieces can last a long line of generation and they can tell to that long line of generation a part of history.
@akhapr (25)
I have a collection of about 140 coins (started almost 18 months ago) Most of them are from India(Republic coins) and USA. I just need 5 coins to finish my state quarters collection. So I am on a look out :)