Hey, Good Lookin' - But Just What Is That?

@sulynsi (2838)
I am surprised, by posts that I have read here, that men seem as concerned about their appearance as women. Maybe I'm misreading it, but that is how it seems. What is "good-looking" in your opinion? I think it isn't quite as tangible a thing as we would like to think. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, is a famous saying, but is it more objective than that? Is there some sort of measurable criteria, something everyone pretty much agrees on as being "good-looking"? I used to know someone who insisted that beauty was in fact not subjective, but, like a mathematical formula, you could predict how people would react to certain faces because they were measurably beautiful. To me, I found that I find attractive, a wide range of people, some that are not considered traditionally attractive. I think there are a lot of factors that help us make that judgment. Those factors seem to be rather fluid, at least they are for me. I remember seeing George Kennedy in a movie, where he played a big burly policeman. The part he played likely had a lot to do with why I found him attractive. I think the best looking man I have ever seen, is Sean Connery. But not during his James Bond phase. I saw him in a movie when he was very young. A movie called Darby O'Gill and the Little People. He must have been in his twenties at the time. Oddly enough, I didn't think too much of his looks during his middle years. He has matured, I think he's in his seventies, with a short, neat beard and his hair neatly clipped, he is as attractive again as he was as a very young man. Its kind of weird. Timothy Dalton, gawky kid when he was young, matured into a very handsome man. I think it was most particularly his eyes that are most amazing. When I was in school, all the guys were making a big fuss of Farrah Fawcett. While she was a pretty girl, I always wondered why they didn't make an even bigger fuss of Jaclyn Smith. I thought she was by far the most beautiful of the "Angels". I wanted to look like her, rather than Farrah or Cheryl. Some of my favourites are a young Harrison Ford, Kevin Costner and Bruce Willis. Not classically handsome, whatever that is. I don't really understand the appeal of Brad Pitt. I couldn't see what the big deal was about Tom Cruise. He was a BIG heartthrob in his early years. I think he looks much better now. Maturity suits him. What about you?
@thezone (9452)
I would agree that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I have to say looks are not everything from what I have seen. I would say that some people do get more beautiful with age and as you said Sean Connery is a perfect example. In my experience I have always been attracted to any one with green eyes for some reason. Anyone I have ever met in my life that had green eyes were always very beautiful. But at the end of the day i would never judge anyone on their looks, I would always dig deeper and find out the real them. I would agree that men these days are very mindful of their appearance, we are in an age of equality, so why not. But at the end of the day personality will win over beauty any day.
@mysdianait (63950)
An age of equality? That will never be the case as far as beauty in concerned because men will never have to get rid of 'stretch' marks
@thezone (9452)
That is very true but I would would have stretch marks as a badge of honour if i could. Mothers have my respect in any shape or form.
@sulynsi (2838)
Do you agree that his appeal fluctuated throughout the years? I mean the character he played in Zardoz (ok, that was a weird film) NOT appealing at all. The pony tail and the nasty outfit they made him wear. He was exquisite in Darby, so so in Bond and then much later, like in Red October, back to very good looking. Odd. Green eyes. Yes, I like green eyes. I used to know a girl who had green eyes the colour of green smarties! Really unusual. Another girl had turquoise eyes. And this is before the advent of coloured contacts. Mys, I agree about the stretch marks. Don't guys get them? I never noticed.
@paula27661 (15900)
Beauty is subjective indeed. Like you, I do not necessarily find certain 'heartthrobs" as attractive as the media makes describes them; for example Tom Cruise I cannot stand, George Clooney good looking yes but not attractive to me, Sean Connery I have never found particularly appealing but as far as Brad Pitt goes...Yes! To me he is the most beautiful looking man! As for the women, I consider Demi Moore very striking but I don't know how much of her is 'real' these days. I think Helen Mirren is a naturally very beautiful woman who by the looks hasn't resorted to the taut face and inflated lips results of plastic surgery. Susan Sarandon is another natural beauty aging gracefully if we are to believe what we read! (LOL)
@mysdianait (63950)
I was beginning to think I was the only one who does not drool over Sean Connery. He has definately aged well but is not my cup of tea (or coffee) so I'll join the club with you!
@sulynsi (2838)
OOOH,, I've seen some horror stories with regards to plastic surgery! May we all age gracefully, without resorting to the knife!!
@mysdianait (63950)
Good looking is indeed in the eye of the beholder! Good looking on the screen are types like Richard Gere, Kevin Costner and Gregory Peck. However in real life my idea is completely the opposite. I am fascinated by those types who have something to show for having lived, some sort of signs of life on them. It could be laugh lines or hands that have done some work (not those of a banker for example). Rather than those types who are all dolled up in collar and tie I prefer an unkempt look, almost gypsy style. Here many males use the gym and think they are so fascinating with all their muscles 'pumped up' - not to me they are not There are as many men having hair dos as women here and Italian fashion caters for the males as much as the females. Then they parade here just as much, if not more than the girls do - amusing to watch too
@thezone (9452)
laugh lines that is the first thing I notice after the eyes. [i] I prefer an unkempt look, almost gypsy style[/i] sounds a bit like me
@mysdianait (63950)
The hands zone? I hope they don't fit... well I think I hope they don't
@thezone (9452)
My hands are clean but have seen their fair share of work and scars, my hands are always out there in a gesture of friendship.
I would have to agree with the cliche phrase, "beauty is in the eye of the beholder." Each person has his or her own opinion of what beauty is, although their opinions are certainly influenced by their environment: friends, family, location, age (targeted by media)..etc. I myself am only able to find someone truly beautiful after having spoken with them and learned their personality. The more I like someone's personality, the more wonderful they are to me. Their beauty increases in my mind. That's not to say that I don't find many people physically attractive. For example James Franco, who played the role of Harry in the "Spiderman" series and the main character in Tristan and Isolde, is a very attractive man with dark hair, and a great face and body. Scarlet Johanson is one of my favorite actresses who is also quite attractive. All this being said, I wish to emphasize that physical appearance is merely one part of beauty. Raw animal attraction may draw you to a person, but (and bare with me through this cheesy phrasing)it is the inner beauty that keeps you wanting more: knowledge of, time with, affection of that person. Also, Bruce Willis is one of my favorite actors. He manages to pull off the bald look and maintains a youthful appearance as he matures. "The Sixth Sense" and "The Whole Nine Yards" are two of my favorite films in which he has acted. I may have to disagree about Tom Cruise. I have come to dislike his acting as he has grown older. Most of his younger films had a unique angle and his newer films, with the exception of "Valkyrie," have similar action based angles. "A Few Good Men" is one of my favorite films and Demi Moore co-stars. If you haven't seen this movie, I highly recommend it.
@sulynsi (2838)
James is nice looking, but I find his face too angular. But then many people like that. There is quite a fuss now about the young fellow who played a vegan vampire recently, but I don't see it. I have no idea of Tom Cruise's acting ability. For me, I was speaking strictly of the hype I remember that was built up around him at the time he was the flavour of the month. I didn't get it. But his APPEARANCE in any case, has improved, at least from my perspective. Scarlett Johansen, she is a chameleon. She can be extremely beautiful, but can play plain and ordinary. Speaking of pulling off the bald look, Patrick Stewart wouldn't look as good, I don't think, with hair!
@jellymonty (2358)
"I don't really understand the appeal of Brad Pitt" oh that just kills me reading that as I love Brad Pitt! Men I'm still mad that Angelina got him before me! But in general I think I would describe a good looking man as someone with a not so square shape jaw line, no beard or moustache, a rather broad chest, reasonably tall, with a six pack muscle lines, with dark colored hair and a squeezable butt!! well at least that would describe the kind of bloke that would get my attention. a bit of John Bon Jovi mixed with David Beckham and throw in Vin Diesel.. wwwwoooooofffff!!
@sulynsi (2838)
Its not that I don't think Brad Pitt is a handsome man. I just don't understand the hype. I think he is overshadowed by many others. Its not quite as simple I guess, as a person being handsome or pretty. This is kind of what I'm getting at. There is something, more intangible, that makes a person "attractive". Gets your attention? Turns your head? Like a picture in a gallery. Many beautiful art pieces, but only one or two move you emotionally.