What's the best way to get telemarketers off my back?

Israel
I have caller id and usually i don't answer. How can i get them to stop calling (i hear the donotcall registry doesn't work) and if i do pick up the phone aside from immediately hanging up what can i say to deter additional calls?
The donotcall registry does work. You can register your number at https://www.donotcall.gov/ It does take up to a month to get your number removed from all of the databases. After that month, answer all of the telemarketers calls and get the company name so that you can report them. As soon as you register your number, start telling all of the telemarketers that call that you have registered on the donotcall registry. If they continue to call and you report them, they get huge fines and can be shut down by the government. I have done it with my mom's number, my dad's number, and my mother-in-law's number. They have all seen a huge decrease in the number of calls. Another good thing to do is to talk to them and tell them that you arent interested. Ask each and everyone to take you off their list. If you ask them to take you off their list, they have to do it. This is a pain and can take a while, but in conjunction with the donotcall registry it can really help in the long run. Immediately hanging up does not help. They will call back if they dont get to talk to you. All that does is encourage them to call you more! Good luck!
• Israel
Thank you so very much!! i will follow up on that.
@dUKe0912 (98)
What country are you from ?? In India, we just register with the DND list of TRAI and it works.
• Israel
I go back and forth between the usa and israel, currently im studying the usa
@diamania (7037)
• Netherlands
You could tell them not to call you any more when they call you. You could also file a complaint at the donotcallsite. Also make sure you do not hand out your phone number when signing up on the internet for any site.