What is the most unique thing that you do or use to live frugal?

@kykidd (6820)
I seen the headline of an article that stated a couple reused the salad dressing from the bottom of their bowls. I thought this was not only unique, but a little gross. That's just one person's opinion though. So what is the most unique thing that you do to help keep your budget tight? Do you do anything that some people might consider gross? Or just kind of funny? It will be interesting to read your responses!
@cher913 (25893)
its not something that i have done but i have an aunt who was raised during the depression by a single parent (her dad passed away when she was quite young and her mom never remarried). This aunt is hugely wealthy but she always cut scrubbies in half or threes if she could get away with it. i just thought it was being cheap.
@kykidd (6820)
I am not familiar with scrubbies, well I probably know what they are, just by a different name. Not sure....but I do a lot of people who were raised during the Depression Era who all are very frugal. My neighbor's parents are of that era and his whole family is really frugal, which is great. He and I have even traded things that we had stuffed away in our garages for a rainy day. Thanks for your response in this discussion, and have a great day!
All the time I´m doing things that come out from needing to be frugal plus having the time to do it. I´m starting a veggie garden at the garage and at the place where I put clothes to dry. It´s the only place that THAT animal (Lola, my puppy german shepheard)can´t get into, to destroy. So, as she has become the sole owner of the garden, I´m planting in every box I can get. The lest are empty milk plastic bottles. I cut them by half and I´m using only the lower half (I´ve been thinking that I´m a spendrift so I´m thinking on how to use the other half in spite of it´s shape). I filled them with soil and planted one (1)radish seed in each one.. I have garlic in another: we´ll see what happens. Now I´m having a break from making some pillow cases out of old bed sheets. THey will look awesome!!!
@kykidd (6820)
It sounds like you have a bunch of great ideas marguicha! I am wondering if you can't use the tops of the milk cartons as well also. How about using them like the upside down tomatoe plant holders that you see on tv. I think they are called topsy turvy or something to that extent. Maybe you can use string on all four sides and hang them from a tree. With the lid in place, you could probably plant anything in them like this. Good luck with your garden and thanks for all of the neat ideas. I hope you have a wonderful day!
@lumenmom (1996)
I am trying to envision what reusing the salad dressing from the bottom of your bowl really means and I haven't come up with anything. I can't even call it gross because I can't imagine how they do it. The one thing I do is to water my salad drssing down so that it runs thinner but I do it first to save calories and fat but the added benefit is I am able to stretch it a bit farther. The things I do that are funny are I wash out plastic food storage and sandwich bags as well as aluminum foil. This is something I learned many years ago and thought was overkill but now I see it as practical. I reuse all fast food plastic and styrofoam containers. Since I am not a gardener and I don't have my own house, I said I was going to start throwing all my fruit and veggie seeds out in the backyard hoping that some will take root and grow.
@kykidd (6820)
I guess I could have explained that a little bit better lumenmom. The article stated that after the couple ate their salads, they would pour the dressing out of the bottom of their bowls back into the salad dressing bottle. The reason I feel this a little gross is because of the germs that would be spread in the process. I am sure they probably don't feed this dressing to guests when they come over, or at least I hope not. Thanks for your unique ideas. I appreciate you sharing them here in this discussion. Have a great day!
@peavey (16487)
I do a lot of things that some people would find funny or even gross, I guess. One thing I do is save the salt from the bottom of pretzel bags. I grind it and use it on popcorn. I save water by keeping a bowl under the kitchen tap to catch the little drips and the times when the water runs to cool it or wait for it to warm up. That water goes on my houseplants and in the summer, in the garden. I've used it to mop the floor and even to rinse dishes when I knew it was clean.
@kykidd (6820)
Hey peavey, it sounds like you have some great ideas there. I would have never thought about the salt idea. There is always a bunch of salt at the bottom of the bag of pretzels. And I hate just dumping that in the trash with the bag. I am definitely going to start saving this. Thanks so much for the idea. I like your idea on saving the water too. This could be extremely helpful in areas that are in a drought. Thanks again, and have a great day!
i don't think i do anything funny or gross , i just try to use every little bit i got that way none goes to waste , i save money on shaving because insted of throwing away old sunscrean or sun block i shave with it it works really well sometimes better than the shaving cream so i am saving money and using it all.
@kykidd (6820)
I would have never thought about using sunscreen or sun block to shave my legs. What a great idea! I bet it leaves your skin soft too. I myself usually just use soap, because I use the Shea Butter from Oil of Olay. It is usually ok, but in the winter my legs can get pretty dry. Especially if I haven't been out in the sun very much. And what a better time to use up that old sunscreen than in the winter. Thank you very much for your response in this discussion, and have a great day!