Page View Discussion in AC forum

@scheng1 (24810)
Singapore
AC Darnell had started a new discussion thread for all the page view problems faced by writers. He clarified that page view is not counted, if the reader installed ad blocker, or has a slower connection, so that the ad is not loaded by the time he clicks on to the next page. Many experienced AC writers have experienced a dip in page views, especially after the April glitch that posted a much higher estimated page views. Ironically, new writers experienced usual spike. One new writer has 6695 on the 5/13 update and 9124 on 5/18 update. AC Darnell clarified that AC will delete away "unverified" traffic. He said "Unverified traffic usually refers to traffic that does not have any discernible source. Here's one hypothetical example of how this might come into play: Your article logged 2,500 PVs in the month of May. However, our system flagged it because the source of the vast majority of the traffic could not be detected. Closer examination shows us that the article received 25 verified page views and 2,475 unverified page views. This tells us that there's an automated process driving up your traffic artificially. We unfortunately have to pull down and republish the article in order to cut off the stream of unverified traffic." I hope this never happens to me! Sad that page view deduction is made just because AC assumes that traffic unverified means automated traffic. AC Darnell is very professional and tactful in his reply. Do read the whole thread in the forum at AC, under General Discussion
@mommaj (22711)
Hi Scheng! I saw this and it looks really scary to me. I have a feeling we are going to see a lot lower payments now. "They can't verify" to me means a lot of articles are going to be affected. I think maybe they shouldn't put up page views if they aren't actually going to pay for all the est. page views that they show before the end of the month. Maybe I should let them know if people aren't expecting a payment they won't get as mad when the payment goes from $20 down to $5. It's going to be my payment. HAHAHA
@scheng1 (24810)
Hi Mommaj, I wouldn't mind if the actual page views exceed the estimated page views. Many seasoned writers have complaint that the payment is way below the average. AC has so far denied any change to whatever that can cause the decrease in page views. Anyway the spike in April is causing a lot of unhappiness already. Hope they can solve all the glitches, including the email notification.
@mommaj (22711)
That's good to know. I wondered what they were talking about with the indexing. Honestly, I'm not sure I want to know. If they still have the system all screwed up it will just dishearten me. I might try a few of mine but honestly, I'm not actually sure any of it pertains to how I get readers. LOL
@Canellita (12058)
Scheng1 is this the only article affected this way? Do the rest of us need to worry if our page views are accurate for the period in question?
@mommaj (22711)
Canellita, this is everyone's page views on any article. All those EST. PAGE VIEWS you see, are just that estimated. If they can't be verified they will reduce the page views to the number they can verify. If your total est. pv are 20,000 and they can only verify 2,000 you've just lost 18,000 page views. Don't panic yet because they are getting a lot of heat over this. First it was going to be just for automated views and they extended it to viewers with pop-up blocked, which I can't believe they have that program, especially since they aren't paying as much for upfronts. Anyway, they are still arguing about it and I am sure at the end of this month things are going to play out when they change your est. page views for verified page views. Scary thing is, you don't know what you're getting paid until you get paid.
@Canellita (12058)
Hmmmm, now I'm thinking I need to go and check on my page views.
@scheng1 (24810)
Hi Canellita, we do not have so much articles in AC, so the drop in page view does not affect us so much. Those seasoned writers with a few hundred articles are badly affected, some of them have sharp decrease in earnings. Hopefully, AC can solve the problem. Mommaj gives a really scary scenario, can't imagine 20,000 page views drop to just a couple of thousands. That's really sad when payday comes.
@oscar6 (1939)
Wow I didnt realize that this happens. I dont understand why they cant just give you the money that you earn for the page views. Who cares where they come from as long as they are coming to the site. I too hope that this never happens to me. I can see myself being really upset if this happens to my articles that are on their website.