Have you ever had a great idea?

@spalladino (17925)
I usually don't but every once in a while there's a spark in the ole brain matter. Some of you already know that my husband and I own a motorcycle shop in an itty bitty town in south Florida and that he bought a tee shirt press and a bunch of pre-made iron on transfers to help generate business for my side of this operation which is the retail side. One day last week my youngest daughter was going through some of the clothes she left in her bedroom closet when she moved out and she came across the tee shirt that all of her friends had signed on their last day of her senior year last year. That's when the light bulb lit up! Why should students use their own tee shirts when I could come up with something special? So, I designed the "MEMORIES" tee shirt which includes the name of the school with the year underneath. MEMORIES and the name of the school are in the school's colors in a really cool outlined font that I found on the web...the year is dark black. On the front, where a pocket would be if there was one, are the school's initials and the school mascot, which is a terrier dog. I had a meeting at the school yesterday and they agreed to let me sell the shirts and to allow my daughter and me to put up the flyers I also made around campus. We'll be selling them on Friday, which is the last day of final exams, for $10 each. The school informed the students about the shirts on the afternoon announcements yesterday (not sure about today) and asked them to stop in the office and sign up so that I have some idea of what I'm going to have to bring in the area of sizes. Meanwhile, I've already started on them. Minus expenses...and I agreed to pay my daughter $1 for every shirt she sells...I'll average about $6 profit on each shirt. If this goes over big I'll do it again next year...only I'll start earlier and have the students pre-order by homeroom...and branch out to some of the other schools in the area. They say that the key to a successful business is to find a need and fill it so I may have just found one.
@camomom (7536)
Great idea. I hope it goes well for you.
@sunnflr (2767)
Very cool idea. I bet y'all do pretty well with it too. Lots of teens like shirts an stuff to remind them of school, espeically the last year. Good luck!
@spalladino (17925)
Thanks sunnflr! My husband thought I should be charging more considering all the work I'm putting into each shirt...the front and back have to be done separately...but I want them to be affordable.
@sunnflr (2767)
You might have been able to get more. They are charging 50 dollars for year books at my son's school! But, I believe you were right to go lower. You'll probably still make more in the long run because you'll have more sales.
@spalladino (17925)
The main thing is that I want every kid who wants one to be able to get one. We're a small community and I know that a lot of families don't have the money for too much extra *stuff*. Tomorrow my daughter is going to check out the sign up sheet in the office so we'll see how much interest there is.
@dragon54u (31615)
What a great idea!!! It's a real service to the students at a price they can afford and a nice profit for you, I think you have a winner there! Are you going to branch out to other schools? What about some internet sales, eventually? I've never had an idea like that, I wish I was that creative. I'll bet your husband is very proud of you!
@spalladino (17925)
If this goes well then we'll branch out to some of the schools in the neighboring counties next year but I think I'd like to do pre-ordered, pre-paid, and stagger the delivery dates a bit. I'd also like to have the company who does the tee shirts we have with our business name and logo do them if I can get a good deal. That'll save me a lot of work and I can stay away from that tee shirt press!
@paula27661 (15899)
Now that is a marvellous idea! I had my shirt signed when I left school; it would have been great to have a special one with my school name on it; it may have put my mother off washing it, that's right I had my school mates sign my shirt and mum put it in the washing machine! It broke my heart it did! It is nice you and your daughter are doing this together. Anyway congratulations on your new venture, as I said, great idea! Best of luck with it!
@spalladino (17925)
We actually had a lot of fun making them today. Took a break and went to Burger King for lunch and that's when she came up with the idea of being at the school before the buses start dropping kids off...at 7:30......so there will be more opportunities for students to see the shirts throughout the day and buy one. A friend of hers will be helping us tomorrow so, if we run short, I can go to the shop and whip up some more. It's gonna be a long day tomorrow.
That's awesome! Make sure to protect your intellectual property, as was mentioned above me. I have had a few good ideas, and a lot of really bad ones. Only age and experience has taught me how to discern one from the other.
@tdemex (3547)
Great idea! Hope you make a killing. Killing is that ok to say now a days? I'd think about taking it one step further and patent the idea, first if ya can? Then set up a small franchise business all around the country? You go gal!!! I'm being a sexist and assuming your a gal? Really wish you well!!! tdemex
@spalladino (17925)
Yes, I'm a gal. Good idea about the patent...I'll have to look into that.
@dozhou (326)
I have ever had a lot of ideas. But the reality is that they are not great at all.
@diamania (7037)
• Netherlands
I have loads of great ideas for internet bussiness but for most ideas I need to have loads of money to invest first or need someone elses expertise... which either costs money or which takes quite some time.
That is an excellent idea! I am answering from my e-mail, so I can't see if you posted an update, but it sounds like a sure fire winner to me.
@KrauseHome (35326)
This sounds like an awesome idea, and I hope was a Huge success for you. I think this is actually a wonderful idea you came up with, and I wish you the Best with this. You never know where else this could take you in your ventures, but sounds like you could be onto something for sure.