After a on line relation, people can marry? is possible? is only a joke?

@icesmile (7172)
Romania
So many times people ask questions about long distance relations. Even now i don t understand if 2 people who know each other on line get marry, or are involved in a real love relation. You know, people to know each other must to smell, touch, see face to face. Are persons who get marryed on line or all are just jokes?
I was one of those people who dreamed about meeting someone online back in my teen. I've chatted a lot using popular chat clients. I can say that I've known quite a few good friends on line but never made it to relationship. And I also wondered the same back then. Is it really possible that two people on online relationship can marry?Certainly not. I do have a friend who met his ex girl friend (now his wife) on the net. That made me realize that it's not impossible. Nothing's impossible in love. They both started out as a regular chatters (chat mates as I'd like to call it). The difference in their timezone is 15 hours (Philippines +8 and Los Angeles, CA -8). Well, they didn't find it too hard to catch each other on the net as they're friendship progressed to setting up chat schedules. Eventually, my friend asked for her number and started sending her text messages her (international SMS is a bit expensive here in the Philippines). Then, it progressed to calling each other using Yahoo messenger. Finally, they started Video calling using the same service. That's when my friend started expressing his "feelings" for the girl. At first, I thought he wasn't serious about this feelings. And when he decided to fly to Los Angeles, I actually told him that he's losing his mind. But after a few month's stay in LA, my friend sent me emails with his new online girl friend. Then he went home to the Philippines. After a couple of months, he went back to LA. Then they got married after a couple of years. They have been in an online relationship in roughly about 4 months before they actually met. And about 2 years before they got married. These two people are only one of the few examples of a successful online relationships. So, my answer is yes, it is possible that people get married after an online relationship.
@icesmile (7172)
So, is possible, if both want same, love each other and both are faithful. Nice story, mean that love cross the borders. Is hard when just one feel like this, must to be 2 in a relation, this is very important, good luck for your friend, and for you too. welcome in mylot.
I married my wife, who I met online. But it wasn't a long distance relationship. We had face contact shortly after. Otherwise, I don't think it would have worked. I had a year long relationship via phone and online to a girl 100 miles from me, with occasional meetings. That didn't work.
@icesmile (7172)
Hi, so was online relation only, any way, congratulations for your relation
@Vladilyich1 (1453)
I met my wife on line. We talked about 3 years that way before ever meeting in person (she lived in another country). We finally did meet and got married eight months later. We've been married almost two years now and are still very happy. It is possible to meet someone and fall in love on the Internet.
It sure is. I'm very glad you found this discussion. I was hoping you would.
They aren't a joke! They do happen in real life, some might question the foundation and how strong a relationship but hey who are we to judge, they marry each other because they have their own reasons and it's not upon us to judge if it's real or not. It's their choice and that's how they met up and get hitched.
@dreamr802 (987)
I met my boyfriend online and we were in a long distance relationship for the first year and a half and now we are together in the same state. He moved to be towards me. Granted we aren't married but he gave up his life and everything that he knew for me and moved 1300 miles to a state where he knew no one besides me...and everything is going great. We've been together going on 4 years...
I don't think it's a joke at all. Ideally it's nice to meet the person you want to marry in your everyday life but that is not always the way it works out. If you have a very routine life it can be hard to get to meet different people wheras it's so easy over the internet. I don't think theres anything wrong with speaking to someone online and then meeting up and then getting married but I think it would be a bit strange if you got married and you had never met each other. Actually, can you even do that?!
@anniefannie (1743)
i wouldn't do something like that but i have heard others that have done so
My husband and I met on line (when we met in 2004, I was 22, he was 58). In 2007, after 3 years of phone calls and e-mail, I flew to Arizona, where he was working. I stayed for two weeks, and the next trip was three months. Towards the end of those three months, we decided we wanted to get married. I had to fly home 11 days later, After a couple of months I flew back, and stayed 5 months. He came back up here in August of 2008 and stayed two weeks with me in Canada, and went home to finish work, and then came back in November of 2008 and has been here ever since.
@vnrsudhan (1514)
hi icesmile, i don't think that to fall in love we must meet each other in person,its more than enough if our minds meet each other and decide to be together.i too have heard stories of people who meet online getting married,but i don't know if those stories are true.