Dollar stores

Well I just got the mail and in it was an advertisement for Family Dollar. I personally have always loved the dollar store. Now also with the way the economy is and pockets becoming tight, I think more people are starting to shop there. Anyway, what triggered this thought was I like going to the Dollar Tree, cause everything really is a dollar (plus tax.) I thought the Family Dollar was supposed to be a dollar store also until I am seeing prices that are more than a super market. What kind of deal is that?
@meandmy3 (2228)
Family Dollar was never intended to be a dollar store, it never started as a dollar store. Family Dollar and Dollar General were designed and operate in small towns, ones that do not have Wal Mart's and Targets (the big box retailers) They are in fact discount retailers themselves. However as they do not have the buying power as Target, Walmart etc does they sometimes will have a higher price than those stores. They do get some great deals on what is called close outs, or discontinued products. If you shop there you should shop only their sales, stay away from their clothes and watch dating on any food products. I, at one time, was a buyer for one of their competitors, Bill's Dollar Store, which was bought out years ago by Value Right, So while you are not getting the dame deal as you would at Dollar Tree, you do still get a deal from there on some things. The best things to get there would be every day household items, cleaning products, bath tissue etc, paper products are in fact a loss leader for them, they sell them at cost or lower in order to get you in the store. now at Dollar Tree, be careful with dental products, toothpaste etc as they are dated for experiation, if they get a name brand then chances are it is a close dated product and could have already expried, same thing with food products.
@meandmy3 (2228)
a good comparasion of it would be that it is one of the old five and dime stores of days gone by..
Wow, five and dime store. (I am sorry I am laughing, I haven't heard that one in a long time. The day I could buy a piece of gum for a nickel. lol) Well now the family dollar makes more sense to me. As far as the food and personal hygiene products go, I can only get them from a place where I know it flys off the shelf like a supermarket. I will only buy stuff that doesn't expire from the dollar stores.
@meandmy3 (2228)
Glad I could be of help.
Family Dollar is basically cheaply made items sold for more than a dollar. I don't ever find them worth anything because since the items are made cheaply its not worth the money you are paying. Now Dollar Stores I absolutely love - I wouldn't buy toys or anything there for kids I know, but things like their birthday cards, bags, shower gels, and some food and what not are amazing. Plus my family loves to go there for things like holiday decorations.
@vnrsudhan (1514)
hi imajerseygirl, i have heard of the dollar stores too.but unfortunately i live in India,where there is not even a single dollar store,it would be really nice if there was one,we too can save money then.