Historical monuments and traveling...

Have you ever traveled to a place that has alot of history to it?? Did you plan the vacation because of a certain Historical monument... or was it a place that your family went to and now it is a place that you take your family to? We have alot of history here in Michigan and as a teenager we went camping alot during the summer and would make day trips to certain areas to see every summer... it was just a family vacation for us. what about you... have you visited a historical monument lately?? are you planning on a vacation that has alot of history to it soon? ... where would you like to go if you havent been or arent planning on one yet??
@suj123 (1068)
Hii, I had visited Taj Mahal (India). It was really very beautiful. Do you know Taj mahal is known as the symbol of love ? If i get a chance would love to visit it again. Happy mylotting
@cyrus123 (6383)
I didn't know this. Thank you for sharing it with us. Kathy.
@suj123 (1068)
Hii, Its my pleasure and nice topic.
no I didnt know that... that is so cool to be able to visit the Taj Mahal... I bet it was a great time. I have seen alot of great places in the US with great history like Plymouth Rock, I hope to take my kids back there one day. thanks for sharing your story and happy mylotting.
@maximax8 (27048)
I traveled to Pearl Harbor in Hawaii. It was a sad but moving experience. On a happier note I have been to visit the Mayan ruins in Central America. It was an awesome experience to watch the sunrise over the jungle from the top of a Mayan temple in Guatemala. I sailed down a river to some lovely unspoilt Mayan ruins in Belize. There I heard a jaguar calling. I went on an exciting cave adventure that involved a little swimming and much climbing also in Belize. I have been to many of the concentration camps in Europe and those visits were incredibly sad. It was interesting to go to Anne Frank's house in the Netherlands but I felt sad about what happened to her. It made me happier to visit Corrie Ten Boom's house. She was a Dutch lady that saved many Jewish people in World War II. In the future I very much hope to go to Machu Picchu in Peru. I can just imagine how exciting it would be to see the stunning mountains and the site of the Incas. I am learning Spanish so going to Peru on a trip would be perfect for me. I will plan that trip when I can afford to do so. Happy traveling.
Wow you have been to some great places... that sounds wonderful...and sad too, some of the places would be very sad to see as well. I hope you get a chance to get your next trip planned... that sounds so nice!! thanks for sharing your traveling stories, I love to hear all about traveling. happy mylotting.
@BlueGoblin (1833)
The best monuments are the ones nature made. You can find all kinds of natural wonders in your own home state. I prefer the outdoors and hate hanging out in the city. I'd never plan a vacation that involved hanging out at statue of liberty or something. While I agree they are works of art, I just can't find myself spending hours looking at it.
everyone sees a vacation differently...thats ok!! and funny you mention the statue of liberty because I have been there... it was really cool but we didnt spend hours there, we saw alot that day....LOL thanks for sharing and happy mylotting.
@pansy45 (156)
i hae ever traveled to some place in my country. ithink is agreat way to us to in memoriam with our hero in the ast,but now i can't take some vacation agai,i have alot of job.hope can be free again.
yes, being able to travel for free is a great thing!! happy mylotting.
@aseretdd (13712)
Back in college... i majored in history... and there were only like 8 of us in the class... so we usually organize our own outings... and we would go to historical places in the province... we enjoyed the travels a lot since it was very organized... and there was very little hassle... and no need for parent's permits because we were all above 18...
now that had to be cool... and the fact that you were studying that and seeing some of it too... now that is the way to get an education!! I bet you had a great time... thanks for sharing that! happy mylotting.
@Sandra1952 (6052)
• Spain
When I was studying for my BA in English and History, I had the chance to go on a college trip to the Renaissance Courts of Italy. One of the history lecturers led the trip, and we went to Padua, Mantua, Verona, Venice and Arqua, where the poet and humanist Petrarch lived out his last years. We saw some wonderful paintings, palaces and churches, but for me, the highlight of the trip was seeing Lord Byron's signature in the guest book at Petrarch's home. I just felt so close to the past, walking in the footsteps of two great poets. Arqua has changed very little, so we were seeing the same views they saw. Magical!
oh that had to be magical!!!! wow, I would love to see some of those areas!! maybe someday... but what a great opportunity you had..so glad you got to see all that!! thanks for sharing your story and happy mylotting.
I visited the national monument of my country a few months ago.
how cool!!! we have done some traveling too and saw some great history places, and I cant wait to take my kids there too!! thanks for sharing that!! happy mylotting.
@glesil_00 (1147)
The place i've been that lots of history maybe was the Mount Samat in Bataan. We have had our summer outing in one of the coves in Bataan and when we were on our way going back to Manila, we thought of dropping by in Mount Samat to see the Mountain that for us is very historical place and plays a role in Filipino - Japanese war.
that sounds amazing and what a great chance to go see that!! thanks for sharing your story, I love to hear about trips!! happy mylotting.
@cyrus123 (6383)
Hey bookreadermom08! I haven't visited a historical monument in a long time. We used to visit historical monuments all the time when my family and I used to travel. My daddy was in the Kiwanis Club and we took a lot of trips with it. There was always a convention somewhere. Also, he sold real estate and we would take trips with it, too. He also owned the credit bureau here in Jasper and we took trips with it, too. I know twice we saw Thomas Jefferson's home up in Virginia. We also saw the capitol building, the white house, and the smithsonian institute in Washington, D.C. We also saw the Liberty Bell up in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. That's just to name a few. I don't have any plans for a vacation this summer. In fact, I haven't been anywhere in ten years due to money problems. I would like to go to New Echota in Georgia. I never have been there. There is a Cherokee Indian Reservation there and I'm very much into Indian stuff. I'm supposed to have some Cherokee Indian in me but I never have done a genealogy to find out for sure. One of these days I plan to. I know it takes a lot of time. I hope you have a very good vacation this summer and happy mylotting. Kathy.
@cyrus123 (6383)
I forgot to mention that my parents and I went to Europe in 1973 with a church group. We saw a lot of old cathedrals and historical monuments there. Kathy.
You have seen some great places... I have been to the capital and see that area too, and I have been to NY and seen the statue of liberty and ellis island.. those were some great places to see...and we also saw plymouth rock and the pilgrim plantation too... they were great and I cant wait to take my kids there. I know what you mean, our traveling has been none existent too due to money but one day I hope to start traveling again, besides just small getaways for the weekend. thanks for sharing your story, I love to read about trips and stuff like that!! happy mylotting.
@cyrus123 (6383)
I have seen the statue of liberty, too, but I was only 5 years old at the time. I don't remember very much about it. We didn't go up inside it but we rode a boat around it. The only thing I do remember about that trip to New York City was standing up on top of the Empire State Building. I remember thinking how all the cars looked like toys from up there. That must have made an impression on me. We went to New York City again when I was 16 when my sister, her husband, and their oldest daughter were living in Stamford, Connecticut. I remember more about this trip than I do the first one. We saw Rockefeller Center, went down Broadway, saw Macy's Department Store, and we went up on top fo the Empire State Building again. We didn't go out to the Statue Of Liberty this time but we saw it from on top of the Empire State Building. We also saw Greenwich Village. This was during the time when the hippies were really out in force. We also drove through Chinatown. If I ever get a chance to go back to New York City, I would like to go up into the Statue Of Liberty. I never have been to Plymouth Rock. I bet that's interesting to see. I hope you have a great trip this summer. Kathy.
@ElicBxn (60052)
we did Christmas at Colonial Williamsburg one year, and I've been to London 3 times, and Rome **sigh** love it there I used to go to the 4 corners area and visit Anasazi ruins. I love history. No, my mom used to think she had the best kids in the world. My brother wanted to do sight seeing trips, my sister wanted to go camping & I wanted to go to historial places. And mom got to do each with us so got it all!
growing up I didnt care much for history but now I think it is fascinating... and I want to travel to alot of those places... wow, Rome.. I would love to go to Rome one day!!! I hope you get a chance to go back there. thanks for sharing and happy mylotting.
@ElicBxn (60052)
well, with my difficulties walking, I doubt I'd enjoy it as much as I might've 30 years ago, even 25. I hate how these bad feet have really limited my life.