Sarah Palin is in my town.

Hilary Clinton - I don't know who the other lady is in the picture... it was crowded, lots of people trying to meet the Senator.
There was a huge parade this morning for the celebration of a man named Seward who apparently founded the town. This man was also Secretary of the State for Presidents Lincoln and Johnson, and he negotiated the purchase of Alaska from Russia in 1867. Because of this, Governor Palin is in my town today for the celebration. Tickets to see her are $100. To meet her and get a picture taken with her it's $250. Obviously, I'm passing on the opportunity... Would you pay that much to meet Sarah Palin, or any politician?Here is a full news article about Palin's visit to the town. http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/2009/05/how_auburn_reeled_in_one_of_bi.html Oh, and by the way... a couple years ago Hillary Clinton visited our State Fair... she was our Senetor at the time. I got to shake her hand and take a picture of her (not with her, but she had loads of other people to meet), and I didn't have to pay a dime (except admission to the fair... but I didn't go for her, I was already there!). Here's the pic I took of Clinton.
@cynthiann (18630)
• Jamaica
No I would not pay one red cent to see any politician unless it was a fund raising for a charity and that I KNEW that the charity would receive the money. This is not about politics it is about who I am.
Same here! And $250 is pretty steep even for a charity.
@Trensue (5255)
I think you should get a cardboard cut out and offer to take pictures with the cut out for $.50 - not that I have anything against Mrs. Palin, I just don't see what the attraction for that kind of price is. Then again I have never been a very good groupie! I tend to think famous people are just like me with a little more money. You wouldn't find me paying for the opportunity.
My husband learned about all this before me, and he was telling me about it last night. At first I thought it would be nice to go meet her and take the kids to watch the parade. Then he called me this morning from work to tell me about the prices!! That's when I decided I'd stay home!
@zackn87 (345)
Sounds like fun. and i like the pic of hillary that u took.
I would pay $250 to have Governor Palin sent out of my town. I really don't want her to run for office in 2012. She already made it enough of a circus this election. We need people to take the American government seriously.
@irishidid (8285)
What about the clowns in government already? Like Obama and his amazing teleprompter?
@Taskr36 (13926)
Don't mock the teleprompter. That nifty little device beat out a Vietnam vet with over 30 years of political experience under his belt. It's the first time a machine has ever done that.
My primary choice is always Nader, but then I conceded to Hillary when pushed into that position. And now Obama proved to be the lesser of two evils. I do think he is well spoken, and I am feeling him out still. It's only been six months, we have yet to see what the next four years bring. I have an extreme dislike for Palin. Perhaps because she is a book burner, or because she plays hockey mom so well. She was in the election for the mere fact that she had a va-jay-jay, to try to get the Hillary vote from the swing states.
@clrumfelt (5426)
If this is a fund-raiser they should publicize it as such so not as to appear to be capitalizing of Sarah Palin's celebrity. If it was a fund-raiser to help pay the legal bills of the outlandish lawsuits that have been brought against her, or even for her presidential run in 2012, people could give without having so many people close to her(a possible security risk, in MHO.) $100 is much less to ask for a donation than the $1200\plate luncheons characteristically given as fund-raisers. Many would give without having to have a picture or handshake.
I don't know that it is a fundraiser really. If it is a fundraiser, it's for the Seward House, which is a museum now. It is where Seward used to live here. So it wouldn't be for her. People around here don't have that sort of money to just give to charities, and it's not everyday someone from Central NY gets to meet Sarah Palin... so that's where it all comes together.
@Taskr36 (13926)
It's not her constituents that would have to pay. This is in New York. Her constituents are in Alaska.
Thanks Taskr. Thought I had made that point clear. I guess it would help if everyone read the news via the link I provided.
@Idlewild (6105)
When Seward proposed the U.S. acquiring Alaska a lot of people thought the land was a big, frozen wasteland... the purchase of Alaska became known as "Seward's folly." Naturally that view changed once it was discovered Alaska held huge reserves of oil & gas! According to the Seward House Web site, it's a national historic landmark. Maybe Palin's appearance is a fundraiser for that house, but it's not clear from the site.
That is a possibility, however I still think the price is steep. I might consider $20 for a meet and greet with Palin if that money was going to the Seward house, but even $100 is too much for our area. Only a few families have that sort of money. I suppose on the other hand they meant it to be so high so that they'd have a smaller crowd to deal with!
@Idlewild (6105)
Yes, that seems like a pretty steep price for that area... it's more like the fee a person could command in NY or LA! But as you say, maybe they want to keep the attendance smaller (and maybe screen out the people with less money). Also, I bet some people might be tempted to show up to give Palin a piece of their mind for $25 or so, but for $100 and up it wouldn't be worth it to them!
@xfahctor (14126)
• Lancaster, New Hampshire
Yeh, it's a bit stiff, for constituants. Imagine paying to see a politician...... http://www.americanconservativedaily.com/2008/09/obama-to-appear-at-28500-per-plate-dinner/
@Taskr36 (13926)
Nice, and all that money was just going to a political campaign. At least with Palin's appearance it's going to a good cause.
@Taskr36 (13926)
That's a pretty ridiculous amount of money to spend to get a picture or even see her. I've gone to scifi conventions and such where you pay like $15 or $20 to get in and that's cool. Sometimes the getting a picture with the celebs there costs like another $10 to $20. If it were something like that, sure I'd do it. There is no way in hell I'd lay down $100 just to go and $250 for a picture. I NEED that money. I don't know what kind of wealth the locals have or how popular Sarah Palin is there, but that might lead to them pricing themselves out of profits.
We're not wealthy by any means. This isn't NY city... this is a small town. This is hickville... this is Trailer Park city. We're poor people here in central New York! Palin isn't very popular here. Actually I believe the democrats won our state in the last election, but I can't be sure.
@anniepa (27123)
Wow, how lucky could you get...lol! To be honest I wouldn't pay a red cent to see Sarah Palin! I wouldn't pay that kind of money to see anyone even if I had it to throw away but I really have to wonder WHO decided she's worth that much and WHAT is the reasoning behind it? Annie
I have no idea. I only skimmed the news article to read the parts that I found interesting, so that information could be there, but I don't know. It might have been to raise money for the museum here in town, which put this whole celebration together. I guess it's pretty cool that she's here and all that... millions of miles away from home. But I just think it should be free to meet another person. She's not a God or anyting. Just a person.
@4ofmyown (1120)
I would not pay anything to go see her because I don't like her at all. I wouldn't even go and see her for free.
250 dollars for a picture? Well, if I had the money I guess I would, but it would have to be an awesome picture. I wouldn't settle for a regular pose. Maybe one of those poses boxers do looking all mean and putting their fists against the others chin. I would pay for that!
@jb78000 (15178)
you'd have to pay me to see sarah palin
@lelin1123 (15645)
• Puerto Rico
NO WAY! I would not pay a penny to see her. I would consider paying $100 for either Bill and Hillary Clinton or President Obama, but no other politician. Not interested in any other politician period!