Why Does My Dog Eat Grass?

He is healthy, not losing weight, great appetite, but he loves to eat grass. Why, I wonder especially since he usually brings it back up later. Does anyone elses dog do this, if yes do you know why. Is he missing something in his diet?
Well its not uncommon for Dogs to eat grass. There are two reasons why dogs eat grass. One it that if something is caught between there teeth and the dog can't get it out they eat the grass sort of like a natural toothbrush to clean there teeth. Another reason is that if they have any upset stomach they eat grass just to aid there digestion process. This way they get more fiber into their body
@geniustiger (1698)
My dogs are like that they will eat grass sometimes after eating their meals. I founmd out they do that as their sweets and candies from what they ate might be pleasant or not pleasant to them. They do that as medicine of what they felt in their body. Or else They act it as their toothbrushing in their teeth.
Well we give him treats for that, grass just seems so gross.
My dog will eat it to but then later in the week or that day we see clear throw up with grass in it. I guess grass isn't to healthy for them to eat but it must taste good or something. I'm not to sure why they eat the grass at all but maybe i could ask a vet and see what they say.
@jugsjugs (13045)
Both cats and dogs eat grass then they bring it back up.The reason for this is if they are feeling unwell that brings the illness to an end.It is a bit like us taking medicine for our illnesses.Usually they eat the grass bring it up every so often then no more grass again unless they feel ill again.
Natural yet gross
@biggerb (2028)
My dog always eats grass.But i have never found him throwing up.I have consulted my vet and he says its quite normal for dogs to eat grass as they like the taste of it.I have consulted many people regarding this and there are so many different theories to it.They say that if the dog is not feeling well it will eat grass to vomit.But if the vomitting persists its better to take the dog to a vet.Some say dogs with gastric irritation may seek to eat grass.Some say eating grass is an enjoyable pastime not an indication of illness.Another theory says dogs eat grass for the raw nutrition their diet lacks.They instinctively chew and eat grass to obtain the vitamins and live enzymes provided by fresh raw whole food.
He doesn't throw up every time, just once in a while. But he always wants to come in the house to do it. Why not just barf outside?
@elemental69 (1562)
All dogs do this and is quite natural. Dogs eat grass to make themselves sick to clean out their stomach.
Yuck that is really gross. Well at least they know what to do,
Hi Melissa...I think alot of animals eat grass when they have a upset stomach becasue it tends to bring up whatever they may have in their stomach that is upsetting it. I have had cats and dogs both eat grass and bring it back up shortly after they have eaten it. flutterby
That is an easy question, answer DIGESTION. They r not getting enough veggies in their diet so that is how they make up for it. Sometimes they just have an upset stomach, so they find a peticular green eat it and, brings it back up...Usually they will not eat something that will hurt them.... REMEMBER ALWAYS LUV YOUR DOG / PET, THEY WILL ALWAYS LUV U
@flzmlady (419)
i will take this action of your dog as something wrong with its stomache, since i know cats eat grass when they dont feel well in their stomache.
This is an natural process for remove their stomach pain. This only continued for few hours. I hope Your dog stop eat grass before my respond
I was always worried about my dogs eating grass when I was younger so I asked my Vet and his response was that dogs eat grass for a variety of reasons. 1 is to keep their bowels regular just as we would take a laxative when we get bound they do it as well. 2 It could me your dog has a bug in its tummy and eating grass cleans out his intestines. 3. Indegestion is another comom cause. Dont orry about the fact your dog does this. Just watch that it doesnt go near any grsses that may of been poisoned. Ok I hope this helps you Brenda
He is nature lover, so simple.. Well the thing is just a process to vomit.
@dfinster (3535)
My dog eats grass all the time. He's always eating something when he goes outside, I call him the "golden goat." He had a stomach problem when he was just a few weeks old. Part of his intestine was pushing through a hole and into his diaphragm. He had to have a major surgery to fix it, but it was done and he got better. He is kind of a picky eater still. But I notice he eats grass a lot more whenever he has to have a bowel movement. it's like he goes crazy eating the grass and when I can stop him he does his business and then stops eating the grass. The vet told me that dogs eat grass sometimes as a way to get stuff out if their stomach is upset. Once in a very great while he will throw it up, but it's only happened a few times. It just seems like whenever he has pressure in his stomach because he has to have a bowel movement that's when he does it.
Dogs need a little bit of grass. It helps settle thier stomaches and helps them absorb nutrients from thier food. Some dogs even do it because they like the taste of it. I'd worry a little bit that he's throwing it back up though. Is he throwing up other food? Maybe a stomach blockage? Some dogs are simply just overeaters though.
@pansy45 (156)
i ever see dog eat grass and the owner is just watch the dog. so i ask the people who owned the dog why they let his dog eat grass?and then he answered that it is not a prblem.the dog has some trouble in his stomach and it can be fine if the dog eat some grass.it was an animal instinc,i don't know is it true or just some sugestion.but maybe if you want to be sure you must ask some an animal docter.
I think all dogs eat grass. It is just something that they do. It must make them feel they can digest their food better or soemthing. Cats seem to like to eat greenery also. Maybe they feel they need some vegetables in their diet or something. I don't know why the grass eating is so popular.