So What Is Not The Role Of Government?

@gewcew23 (8011)
This is one of those question that should be asked the other way, what is the proper role of government. In today's term this is not the question that should be asked. With the increasment of the size of government and almost no end in sight one needs to ask where is the limits. So if I was to ask you what is not the role of government what would you tell me?
@Destiny007 (5820)
The role of government is set and limited by the Constitution... and is much smaller than what is being attempted now, as well as what has been done in the past. National Defense, regulating commerce between the States, coining money... and not that fiat crap that the Federal Reserve is doing... the Federal Reserve is not even a Constitutional Entity... and Trade Treaties with other countries... and that is just about it. There are a few other things, but not many. Most of the power rests with the States and with the individual.
@gewcew23 (8011)
You are right yet most would say that government needs to do more. The current problems we face could be fixed with less not more government.
@miamilady (4924)
Until I read this reply it didn't even occur to me that you might be specifically referring to National government. I assumed you were talking about government in general.
@miamilady (4924)
Great question. I think the government needs to stay out of our bedrooms. I think they need to stay out of our churches. The government shouldn't be telling us whether or not we should abort. Although I wish I could add more. So many things that I would "like" to add, probably DO need to be regulated, because too many people out there taking advantage of each other. I'd like to say they need to stay out of our businesses, but too many business owners make a living taking advantage of people. I'd like to say they should stay out of our "parenting" but look how much child abuse is out there.
@gewcew23 (8011)
That will work.
@heathcliff (1415)
The question also is what level of government? Many people talk of a smaller Federal goverment while wanting the states to pass all sorts of regulations that support their businesses or life choices. Ultimately we both would say the proper role of government is to be responsive to the people that live within it. Doesn't that mean that what the people want out of government they should get out of their government? Unfortunately, Americans want ALOT. The Constitution allowed for government expansion into virtually any facet of life the democratically elected representatives chose, with the delicate balance of the Bill of Rights to protect what they thought were important freedoms. Basically, it did not restrict goverment's size in any way. That is why government is probably not done growing. In the end, what is not the role of governement? The government should never try to control people's minds. Free will. That's it. That's all we get. If we try to impose our will on others (like murder, rape, extortion, etc) then we need a government to stop that. Some people will argue where free will starts and stops and we'll need a government for adjudicating that. There really is nothing else that some form of government is not going to be involved in.
@gewcew23 (8011)
One thing I loath more is when some one actually thinks they know what I would say. The role of government is to protect the Constitution and to adhere to the Constitution.
I know, I'm sorry. That Constitution is a "living" document though. There are always going to be amendments and interprettations, not to mention changes in technology to address: things the authors of the Constitution could not have known about. The big question now is: Where are all of the responders to this question? Did it get buried? Did I curse you?
@miamilady (4924)
It may have received more replies if it had been started in "politics" instead of "debate". But that's only a guess. :-)
Gew, if the US government would have done it's job for the last eight years than they wouldn't have to do what they are doing now. If the government would have regulated the fincial industry, and the oil industry this never would have happened. The price of oil was never questioned by the president, or congress, and the US economy was destroyed by this. If the president would have used the SPR he could have controlled prices and it wouldn't have effected the economy the way that it did. If their were ANY regulation on the mortgage industry, then we wouldn't be in the stituation we are today. Government stepped in because if it didn't the countries economy would have been destroyed (that is per Geroge W. Bush, not me). I personally think that the way our country is going right now, the role off government may not be definable. It may have to do other things to help restore our economy, but hopefully it won't.