New gas tax on the horizon is nothing to "sniff" at.

If you were to sniff, you may pass out. This tax has nothing to do with your car, but the business end of a cow. The EPA is considering levying a tax on cow farts. Yep, you read that right, cow farts. The emissions of our bovine friends are made up of methane gas, which harms the ozone layer. Cows account for 20% of this gas in the air. So, the EPA is considering levying a tax on farmers that have cows on the farm, per unit emitted. I think this is dumb. This is something that a farmer cannot regulate, how much a cow farts. Also, who are they going to get to measure these emissions. I know I wouldn't take that job, no matter how much it was paying. Besides, if the point of this is to reduce the emissions, putting a price on how much a cow lets out isn't going to slow the cow down any. Although I don't know of many farmers on MyLot, I just had to bring this to the table. What are your thoughts on this tax?
@ShepherdSpy (8564)
• Omagh, Northern Ireland
This reminds me of a sketch from the "Kentucky Fried Movie" where an Energy producing company was harvesting discarded greasy combs,oil from greasy adolescents faces,leftover fast food grease,and at the end showed their latest facility,public restrooms (with fx straight from the "Campfire beans" gag in "Blazing Saddles"!) Did I read someplace that not all cows produce methane,as it's a particular bacteria that causes the digestive breakdown to form the gas? As for taxing the cows,there are farm based digester silos already available to produce methane as a biogas fuel..I'm Just trying to picture some poor guy in a Hazmat suit with a gas probe gadget trying to sneak up on a Herd to check them out
So do you mean that there are devices that can process methane into a useable form of fuel? Then what is the big damn deal about the cow farts? Obama says we need a new energy source, one that is renewable. Well there it is right there! You almost made me spit Mountain Dew on my screen when you talked about the guy in the hazmat suit. He would need one to block the smell of the gas he is looking for lol.
• Omagh, Northern Ireland
Here's one news article on one such project in Oregon... http://eastoregonian.com/main.asp?SectionID=13&SubSectionID=48&ArticleID=93664&TM=59926.39
@irishidid (8097)
I just wonder who the Cow Fart Czar will be and how far away his office will be from the others.
I heard this not that long ago on the radio, I thought it was a joke. It makes me sick on how they want to tax anything and everything. Don't they already tax everybody for enough? Like it is the cows fault it has to pass gas, humans do it too! I do agree with it will come out in the price of meat which is already to expensive. And hey I thought we were in a recession, and people losing their jobs and having problems making it. Seriously, that just... *!!!* (fill in the blank).
This is extremely dumb and if it is supposed to lower the "gas in the air", are they going to tax just farmers or people in general who own livestock? My uncle has a "farm" just because thats what we called it but he just rescues animals that people no longer want or abandon because they are sick (he is a vetrinarian so a lot of people just want to put down an animal when its sick, if they come to him and it is sick and they say "well then we will just slaughter it now then" then he will make them an offer to buy it and he gets it back to health) so should his good deeds be taxed??? The whole thing is bogus and won't amount to anything because like another person said, all the farmers will do is raise the price of meat and meat-eaters will pay it and so they will pay the sales tax which will go back to the state government, does that cycle of money help the ozone? NO, it only helps make government pockets fuller
You are so right, this is dumb. They want to tax farmers, and I guess anyone else that owns cows, not just livestock. Still, like you said taxing the gas won't reduce the amount of methane they release.
@slickcut (8141)
haha.. that i the silliest thing i have ever heard...This is stupid , and just another way to get money out of people....I almost fell over when i heard this...Thanks for sharing..
Yep, this is silly, and outrageous at the same time. I don't think we will hear too much more about this though, because I don't see how they will be able to measure the emissions. I see you're still having that glitch with your avatar, maybe if you delete and upload it again?
@Debs_place (10551)
Actually, I think they will fart less with a different diet, but I am not a cow expert. I think I read that somewhere. Now to go back to one of your previous comments, in Saratoga NY there is an ice rink that is powered with the methane produced by the poop from the horses at the Saratoga race track -- see link http://www.dailygazette.com/news/2008/feb/02/0202_gasforice/ There is a use for methane....we just need people to use this.
Like I said before, if there's a way to make this gas into a useable and renewable source of energy, then why is there such a big deal about these emissions and talk of taxing them? Instead of trying to reduce these emissions, we should be feeding the cows beans and using the methane to power cars or houses!
@heathcliff (1415)
This is one of those crazy ideas that floats up every couple of years when a reporter gets bored. The problem, as you say, is measurement. You cannot tax what you cannot acurately measure. That makes the rest of the discussion irrelevant. Not to mention that farmers would never be able to pay such a tax. This will all be part of an Urban Legend some day.
I hope so Cliff. Because imposing this seems so unfair, and also nearly impossible. If they put a machine that will detect the methane on the farms, then some farmers will get wise and figure out a way to cheat the machine, making others jealous. If there's a person going around to measure this stuff, which seems impossible because of the man hours it would take, then some of the better off farmers may bribe that man to record lower than accurate.
@clutterbug (1051)
Yes, I heard about this nonsense on the Mike Gallager show, what a farce! Or should I say far_. It's just a new way to grab some money from the farmers. I feel sorry for the sap that decides to put in for the emissions job. The EPA makes me want to eat a big can of beans tonight.
I understand what you are saying. Our local Fox station, where I saw this story, has a live chat during their shows. I was on there when they first brought it up, and many were saying if they levied this tax, humans would be next. There were joking talks about banning fiber, closing White Castles, and even if happy cows smiled because they just let one! lol. But I think this is the most ridiculous thing I have heard.
@saundyl (9698)
just watch the price of beef go up if this happens or farmers say screw it and just give up because quite frankly theres enough cost and fees for farming as it is.
@uath13 (8227)
I'd just tell them I'd switched to a low emissions cow. If they don't believe me they'd have to come test them. Of course this would make the price of their steak dinners go up. Most of us can't afford steaks anyways so if the farmers just raise the price on steak they'll be hitting the rich politicians right back in their wallets.
@stealthy (8181)
The whole thing of man changing the environment, affecting the ozone layer and producing the green house effect started thousands of years ago in asia when people started turning the land into rice paddies which give off methane and it was much worse than carbon dioxide since methane is a much stronger green house gas.
@sjvenden27 (1851)
First of all this tax would be completely stupid!! Second of all the farmers are already working 24/7 to take care of their farms and family. To add yet another tax to them is ridiculous!! Farms are already under a different kind of labor laws so they already work long hard hours with little pay, and very little breaks. This tax will drive up the price of beef, and there is already enough scares with beef.