Why do parents want their children be number 1?

@eileenleyva (10971)
I had already witnessed two parents feuding because both want their children ranked 1 in kindergarten. I had seen one parent scold a child because the child dropped to 2nd place in academic standing. I know of one parent who literally gave monetary gifts, travel tickets, grandiose parties to teachers just so the child could be valedictorian. Why do parents want their children be number 1? I wouldn't. I like my child normal, capable of making errors, one who doesn't always get a perfect score. Why? Because studies show that those who make mistakes in school perform better in real life. And those who show that they are number 1 is the last to be considered in a job application.
@Philbo (579)
Being too competitive for your child is not a good idea. Scolding them for not doing well will prove counter productive. Praise for what they are doing well and a little practical help where they are weak we take your child a lot further. I remember the discouragement I experienced as a child when I brought home the best report card in family history. The only marks they seemed to be able to see were the ones that were less than perfect.
@eileenleyva (10971)
My grandmother knew I was not as intelligent as my siblings. She looks at the grades for the academic subjects of my brothers and sisters. With me she is happy when my grade is conduct is way above 90. Then she would stay up late at night when she sees me studying. Never did she question why my marks were low.
It's just the competitive streak some parent's have. They want to prove that thier number one by making thier children the best. In some ways it's good to push your children to succeed, but not to the point of bribery lol. It's best to teach your kids to work hard and do the best they can. They will win and lose and learn to work for what they get.