Learning different languages

@momiecat (997)
I personally find learning a different language is fascinating. Some languages seem easier to learn for me than others. English is my first language. I have also studied a couple of years of Italian and some Spanish. I think for me the romance languages are easier. I tried French but that was more difficult. I love studying about the Japanese and Chinese languages because their alphabet seems like "art" to me, and I also like drawing and painting (although I don't do them well). I have several friends who are Armenian and the way their language is written is also artistic to me. I wonder if anyone else feels the same as I do and if anyone can share some tips on how to make learning a different language easier. When I was studying medical terminology (which is a lot of Latin and Greek), I used flash cards. That really worked but it is a lot of work to make flash cards for different languages. I guess you can buy them nowadays at a bookstore, which I what I should do to make things easier.
@phyrre (2324)
I, too, particularly love languages. I'm also a native English speaker, but I've taken Spanish and French for years. French came very easy and naturally to me, but I've always struggled with picking up Spanish for some reason or another. I think it's fascinating to learn about new cultures and to be able to talk in a language that's not your own. It really expands your horizons and everything and I love it when I can actually talk to a native speaker of that language and not sound TOO foolish! Lol.
@momiecat (997)
Yep, I could not agree more. You are very lucky that French came easy to you. I am not sure if that is considered a "romance" language but if not, I think I do better with "romance" languages, Spanish, Italian, etc. I went to Italy when I was 20 years old and did not speak much. That is the first thing my cousin and I wanted to do is teach each other how to better communicate with each other. I was there for 1 month and learned some. Then after we came home I took Italian for 2 years at the adult extension of the local college. If they would have taught more, I would have gone on for further study. When we were young my father and grandmother would speak Italian when they did not want us kids to know what they were saying. When I got older, I kind of could figure out what they were saying, and so they could not fool me anymore.
@phyrre (2324)
Yes, French is a romance language. There are many romance languages, but the most popular are Spanish, Portuguese, French, Italian, Romanian, and Catalan. ^_^ Or they're the most common according to Wikipedia, at least. That's neat how you have a history in Italian like that! Must be really neat to get to learn a language that is so close to your family. My fiance and I both took French up into the higher levels (I took less years than he did, but I speak it better than he does and understand better). So when we're in front of my mother and I really want to annoy her, I'll start talking to him in French because she has NO idea whatsoever what we're saying. She knows a very little Spanish. I tried to teach her french once, but she's very adverse to learning it because she thinks it's too hard. She wanted me to teach her Spanish instead. xD So French is the language that my fiance and I use when we don't want her to know what we're talking about.
@gelay07 (589)
i always wanted to learn new dialects. in our country(the philippines) there are about thousands of dialects from different provinces and i would really like to learn to speak maybe maranao because were i live, we co exist with them and it would be a plus if i could actually understand and speak their dialect. not only maranao, and others as well.
@momiecat (997)
I think that would be great to learn other dialects from the different provinces. I used to work with a lot of Filipino's and some of them used to teach me a few words here and there. With me it is easier to learn a few of the nouns (like objects -- fruit, food,bowl, etc.) where you can point to an object and name it. Then you feel like you are gaining knowledge just by building a vocabulary. Good luck with you studies.
@Jimeous (858)
• New Zealand
Well I am learning how to speak Japanese and I must say that I border between "really sucking" and "completely useless", so far. However I have seen some progress, so that has encouraged me to continue further
@momiecat (997)
Good for you. I think that Japanese and Chinese languages are hard to learn. I would keep up at it. Just think when we learn our native language how long it took us to become proficient. It takes lots and lots of memorization, study and practice. You will be glad you stuck to it when you are able to practice what you learned and may be you will visit Japan. I think it is fun to go to the country where they speak the language and try to speak to the people there. Once you have a basic understanding of the language, to hear it all the time is the best way to learn. Good luck.