How do you spend your money?

@momiecat (997)
With us, the main portion of our money goes to our mortgage, taxes and insurance. Whatever is left over, we spend at the grocery store. It is getting really crazy here in California because the government takes so much money away from you. You wonder if the next thing you will have to give up is food. It is just not right. America has always been a thriving country. Now the economy stinks so bad that everyone is feeling the pinch. I don't know what the answer is but I hope those who can fix the problem will be able to do so, so that we will still be able to eat and may be even afford a few luxuries again someday.
@katsmeow1213 (29047)
We spend $200 a week on food, and that feeds a family of 7. We used to always put food first, and bills second, but of course things are changing. Our bills are paid first and whatever is left over is put towards food. Normally we still have a bit of spending money. We get ourselves in trouble though if we don't have spending money every so often, because then we end up spending money we don't have...
@momiecat (997)
You must be pretty good at budgeting because $200 a week for food for 7 is not that bad. You are right, now a days, it is hard to know what to pay first but some bills just have to wait. Feeding my cats and then myself is my top priority. Of course, need to pay that mortgage. Everything else gets a little bit down the line. I really hate having debt. I don't use my credit cards anymore and it is taking me quite a long time to pay down those cards.
@sunshine4 (8709)
My husband and I just work more so we can still have those luxuries. We take our checks each week and take a portion for mortgage, bills, insurance, car repairs, doctors bills, groceries, gas for our vehicles and vacation. Then we take what is left and use it for whatever we feel like. It is a bad economy, but anyone can go to McDonalds and pick up some extra income. I can't stand people saying that there are no jobs...there may be no good paying jobs, but there are jobs out there.
@momiecat (997)
You make some good points here. I am lucky I have a job that the more you type, the more money you make. Granted, over the years the pay structure for my job has changed and you have to work a lot harder to make the money but you can work a little harder and try to earn more. That is what I tell myself every day. One of these days I will surprise myself and start saving for those little luxuries I once used to be able to afford. My husband works hard and is our major breadwinner. He pays the biggest bills including the mortgage. You are right, if a person wants to find a job, there are jobs out there. There are probably fewer than there were a few years ago but they are out there. Better to be having some income than no income at all and live off the government and tax payers.
Personally I'm still full of hope and enthusiasm, Though that is fairly typical for a 17 year old. But then, I wouldn't want to live in california, especially not right now, Those taxes do seem like they would kill ya :P do you at least get good return for your money through government programs?
@momiecat (997)
Awh, to be 17 years old again. That would be fun. Being young is the best part of life, no worries, most of the time no disease or pain. Enjoy it. You only are young once, as they say. Actually, we do not take anything from government programs. I guess we unwillingly pay for others to receive the benefit of our labor. Here in California, unfortunately there are a lot of people who come to this area illegally and they require all kinds of government services. I don't mind lending a hand but it is getting out of control and more and more of the state's money is spent on benefits neither I nor my family can receive but only we share in the cost of paying for others. It is getting to be way too much. We would like to move out of state but that is another whole new set of problems and issues to deal with.
@ANTIQUELADY (36489)
My bills have always come first. I was & am always thankful i could pay them. When i was younger it got pretty rough at times but i have survived, thank heavens. I had to quit work 4 years ago due to sickness, thank heavens i had been able to save some while i was working. I think that is most important to have u a little nest egg put back because u never know what is going to happen. I know that's hard to but it can be done. good luck, hope things improve for everybody.
I am in the UK and food prices have gone up - we seem to spend about an extra £10 a week (about $20) on the same food compared to a year ago. However, what seems to be happening with a lot of stores is that they have really good offers, and coupons. For example I seem to get a coupon to save 15% at one grocery store every couple of weeks - so when that happens we go there and then there is a bit more money to spend on a few treats. Next month I'm going to do a scheme with an online organic grocery store whereby if you buy £15 worth of food ($30) a week for four weeks, you get £50 credit to spend on food ($100). So I'll order my fruit and vegetables from for a month and have about another month's worth free! Hurrah! So it might be worth looking out for offers or signing up to supermarket loyalty schemes if you have these in the US.