10 Ingredients to Avoid in Beauty Care

@meme0907 (3481)
This article is not only a good read for the ladies but the fellas too cause c'mon guys we know you gotta look fresh Unless you are already using natural body care products instead of synthetic ones, beware these toxic ingredients. by Brad Wuorinen| TasteForLife.com Contributor Related: brain fatigue headache product allergies mineral preservative essential oil ingredient toxin beauty diet green asthma depression oil skin baby clean herbal cancer environment herb kid cosmetic medicine tea cough fat natural Be sure to check your labels very closely before you open that bottle or jar to make sure they don’t contain any of these hazardous ingredients. These are the top ten ingredients in popular beauty and body care products that can potentially cause serious harm to you or those around you. Be sure to check your medicine cabinets, drawers, and bags to see if what you are using to make yourself look better could actually be making you feel worse. 1. Parabens Why they’re used: To expand the shelf life of cosmetics. They are often labeled as methyl, ethyl, propyl or butylparabens. Why you should avoid them: They can alter hormone levels and potentially cause cancer, as well as mess with fertility and/or the development of a fetus or young child. 2. Isopropyl Alcohol Why it’s used: To change the natural properties of another ingredient by acting as a solvent. Why you should avoid it: It is a poisonous substance also used in antifreeze and shellac. 3. Mineral Oil Why it’s used: To coat the the skin and keep it from drying out (baby oil is 100% mineral oil) Why you should avoid it: It clogs pores prohibiting the skin from breathing and also from flushing toxins (causing skin irritations like acne and rashes). 4. PEG (polyethylene glycol) Why it’s used: To dissolve oils and grease. It is found in many cleansers. Why you should avoid it: It removes natural protective oils from the skin and puts the immune system at risk. It may also cause cancer with overexposure. 5. Propylene Glycol (PG) Why it’s used: It is a surfactant and wetting agent in cosmetics. Why you should avoid it: It can cause brain, kidney, and liver abnormalities. PG is the active ingredient in antifreeze and the EPA requires workers using the substance to wear gloves and avoid contact with the skin. 6. Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (SLS) & Sodium Laureth Sulfate (SLES) Why they’re used: They are detergents, surfactants and foamers in soap, shampoos, and toothpaste. Why you should avoid them: They can cause serious damage to the immune system and major irritation to the skin. 7. DEA (diethanolamine), MEA (monoethanolamine), & TEA (triethanolamine) Why they’re used: They neutralize other ingredients in foaming products (such as bubble bath, face cleanser, and shampoo). Why you should avoid them: They disrupt hormones and can potentially cause cancer. 8. FD&C Color Pigments Why they’re used: They add color to cosmetics. Why you should avoid them: Certain colors can block oxygen absorption into the body and can potentially lead to death. Many are also considered carcinogenic. 9. Artificial Fragrances (essential oils are not artificial fragrances) Why they’re used: They enhance or cover up odor of products. Why you should avoid them: Some ingredients in synthetic fragrances can lead to cancer. Many also effect the central nervous system and can lead to depression, hyperactivity, irritability, and behavioral changes. 10. Imidazolidinyl Urea & DMDM Hydation Why they’re used: They elongate the shelf life of cosmetics and personal care products by serving as a preservative. Why you should avoid them: They release formaldehyde into the body which can cause respiratory issues, heart palpitations, skin irritations, allergies, joint pain, headaches, dizziness, chronic fatigue, coughs, ear infections, and asthma. Formaldehyde is also carcinogenic. To fully avoid such harmful ingredients, consider purchasing all-natural cosmetics, body care products, and soap, shampoo, and toothpaste. If you would like to find out more about specific ingredients or specific products and their impact on the human body and the environment, visit the Environmental Working Group’s Skin Deep website (www.cosmeticsdatabase.com).
@Lakota12 (42684)
VEry good post. and I for some reason knew all that stuff they put in things you use arent goofd for you. Glad I stopped using it long time ago!
@meme0907 (3481)
That's because you're a natural beauty LKo |:)
@Lakota12 (42684)
awwwwwwwwwwwwww thanks
@meme0907 (3481)
yw my friend (((hugs))) |:)
@4mymak (1796)
thanks for sharing.. it is a scary fact - but sad thing this - the stores are flooded with products that use these 'hazardous items', and they are the ones that are most affordable for most of us.. ' sad thing is also.. most of babycare products also contain these items - shampoo and bath liquids mostly have SLS/SLES in them... i need to check if my baby's shampoo and bath also contains - DEA,MEA or TEA... i know we do have the choice - to switch to 'all-natural' products - but, unfortunately, these products tend to be 'high-priced' for my pockets.. i just wonder why, knowing all these facts - the Ministry of Health still wont ban usage of these items in any cosmetic products. if they ban the usage - the industry will have no choice but to opt for all-natural ingredients, and when all brands are doing the same thing - the supply is more.. surely the 'all-natural products' wont be as expensive as now... but i guess - politics will get in the way of anything, everything.. even if it will endanger public safety..
@meme0907 (3481)
Ty 4m, I must confess i have to go for the less expensive brands myself & I believe you're right about polictics & such b/c I learned back in the '80's about aerosol cans depleting the ozone & have not used them since but yet they sell them to this day knowing about greenhouse etc.. money makes the world go 'round until the end I guess |:)
@jb78000 (15173)
to be fair nearly all beauty products contain dodgy chemicals but unless you're drinking them they shouldn't have any effect. but if using more natural products makes you feel better then go for it.
@meme0907 (3481)
true-I use make-up lotions etc.. on the daily. I guess if it's absorbing through your skin like that one would have cause for concern,right? |:)
It's very complete guide about beauty care..I will try to check all my prodduct cosmetic right now