Where do you go to commune with nature?

@debrakcarey (19925)
The River, the Ocean, the Forrest, the desert, the mountains, the park, the zoo? Where do you go to enjoy nature?
Oh it really matters what type of mood I am in. I love the beach and when I am looking for a busy atmosphere (waves, birds) I like to go there. When I want to just be alone I am an in the woods girl. Even as a kid I would disappear into the woods and just wonder around barefoot and carefree. My mother hated it. I would come back covered in mud and leaves. There is still a spot in the woods behind their house that when I really need to have a good think I go.
@debrakcarey (19925)
Trees hold a big fascination for me too. I've done some of my best thinking in the arms of a tree branch. And I love the sound of the wind in the leaves.
yeah us tree huggers need to stick together! Our property here had only a few trees, magnificent old maples that are huge, but only a few. I planted some fruit trees both for their fruit and the lovely flowers in the spring. It is nice but not the same as being lost in the center of the woods, and everywhere you look are trees.
@debrakcarey (19925)
I wouldn't call myself a tree hugger exactly. I don't necessarily think we should never ever use them for firewood or paper or other wood products...but I do believe humans should be more responsible for their use of natural resources. I don't approve of waste or wanton destruction...so yea! maybe I am a tree hugger.
@momiecat (997)
I like to commune with nature in all the places you mention. I also find it very peaceful when I go to the cemetery, whether it be to visit my Dad or the pet cemetery to visit my pets who have crossed the "Rainbow Bridge". I like to be anywhere where I can hear the birds chatter, see squirrels playing or visit animals of any kind. I like to be in a peaceful place with not a lot of noise or people.
@debrakcarey (19925)
Nature is very soothing...and I feel bad for those who cannot enjoy it on a daily basis. I have read that walking barefoot helps our nervous systems..and we all know the benefits of fresh air. I would have never thought of a cemetary being soothing..but now that you mention it...I can see more clearly...the connection. Thank you for your input!
@momiecat (997)
Well, if walking barefoot is supposed to help your nervous system, I should be the calmest one around. I really cannot stand wearing shoes, at least around the house. When I go out, even in the winter, I usually wear something with open toes or sandals. I always say my feet are claustrophobic because they need to breathe without being confined. Yea, the cemetery is a peaceful place. Where I live you have to travel a ways to find a river or mountain but the beach is pretty close (about 30 minutes) and that is relaxing too.
@debrakcarey (19925)
I take off my shoes as soon as I walk in the door. And only put them back on if I'm going to town...work or the store! lol I would love to visit the cemetaries in New Orleans...ever been?
To go commune with nature I usually go to the plainest place possible which is in the city: a park. This is where I get my fix for trees and the natural life. However it is not so natural as there is a bike path nearby and roads near. But really, I find it generous that the city allows such things to be put in. Trees are really what we need, and if I could live in a forest or the country I'd probably do it. I get out and sit beneath a tree, people watching me. As the season is here leaves everywhere. I crunch them in my mind. They are beautiful and scattered. The fragrant and far trees are out of reach. But I sit beneath one. And here is what I do when I've decided to do something like this. Really, I have to make an effort! LoL.
@debrakcarey (19925)
Hello Apple3Cranberry, thanks for responding. I am a tree 'nut' too! Truthfully, it really doesn't matter if there are roads and such nearby. Nature is everywhere you turn, don't you think? I do understand though, that the less 'civilization' there is around, the more you can tune in to the peacefullness nature offers. I've found that the sound of the breeze in the trees, the smell of the earth beneath the forest, the colors and the textures of each species of tree, never fails to bring me peace of mind. Thanks again for responding. Enjoy nature where ever and when ever you can!
@dawnald (84126)
• Shingle Springs, California
All of the above! I love nature in pretty much all of its incarnations. Around here there's Lake Tahoe and Yosemite and many other nice places!
@debrakcarey (19925)
It's very soothing to be out in the wild. We have national forests here, with several rivers to float and lakes to boat on or swim in. I like to hike...but haven't been to my favorite trail in awhile...Devil's Backbone. It's pretty wild...but it's very mysterious and exciting.