Do you think it is human tendency to compare?

@scheng1 (24982)
Singapore
When I was young, my best friend and I always compare our mothers, and hope that we can switch mothers. Our mothers too, always compare us with other kids. When we are working, we always compare the management style of our direct bosses. Salary, fortunately, is too confidential and too sensitive to compare, so we compare our entitlements and bonus. Sometimes we compare the worst experience instead of our best. We end up pitying each other, and offer words of comfort to each other. Sometimes we compare the severity of fever or food poisoning. It's very silly, as if the person who had the worst food poisoning win the jackpot. Some other crazy items we compare include: handbags, cars, laptops etc. Most of the times we do not compare the prices, we compare the comfort level, the size and shapes of the bag etc. Do you think it is human nature to compare? What are the things you compare?
@williamjisir (22909)
Hello scheng. I think that it is human nature to compare with each other from one thing to another. I am not an exception. But I don't think that I will surely chase it if I don't have the ability to gain it.
@scheng1 (24982)
Hi Williamjisir, I agree that we like to compare, particular in matters that are important to us. In the older generations, they like to compare children and grandchildren, as if the one with more grandchildren win the jackpot. But our generation hardly care how many children or even our marital status, money and career are more important.
It seems that people nowadays care more about money and career than the others. And it seems that younger generations are making more money than the older ones as they are more brave in starting their career and they do not have as much worry as the older generations, which is good for them to make more money and have a more successful career...
@scheng1 (24982)
Hi Williamjisir, partly is the fault of the older generation. The older generation, especially those who been through the world war, and suffered poverty when they were young, always emphasize the importance of money, and link education to money. Those are the ones who told their children to "study hard, and make more money". Now the effect is felt by the society.
@Canellita (12061)
People compare everything from prices on an item they want to purchase to body types and experiences. Sometimes it is a good thing to compare and sometimes it is a waste of time.
@scheng1 (24982)
Hi Canellita, I think it is common to compare prices and good experiences. Once i overheard some old ladies comparing shringles. Both of them apparently suffered from shringles, and they were comparing bad experiences, as if the one who suffered the most win the prize. Wonder why anyone wants to compare suffering? I would have thought that they want to forget about illness and pain, and get on with their lives.
@Canellita (12061)
LOL, old people are very good at comparing what ails them as if they will somehow win gold coins or something as the winner! Here in the states we have a saying "your blues ain't like mine" for people who try to make themselves out to be worse off than others.
@dragon54u (31054)
It's human nature to one-up people, to have the best or worst experience or possession or relative or whatever. I, too, remember comparing mothers and wanting to trade--I'm glad we couldn't, because I had the best mother on earth! Even now, I catch myself wanting to compare my own experiences to others, to out do them somehow. It's very immature but it's human nature.
@scheng1 (24982)
Hi Dragon, actually sometimes we are really silly to compare the worst experience. Wonder why we want to compare who stays longer in the hospital or who suffers the worst food poisoning. It does not make us feel any better to suffer the worst. The normal tendency is to compare achievements, at least this motivates us to aim higher and push ourselves further.