Why ask the questions if you don't want to hear both sides?

@Trensue (5253)
I am confused and dismayed how many people ask for an opinion and then rail on those who feel differently than they do. Especially in the category of questions and answers it seems one would expect a lot of opinions. I am guessing they only want to hear from people who feel the same way they do. It is pretty hard to learn anything new that way, don't you think?
@byfaithonly (10716)
Whew not sure I want to jump into this one but oh well here goes - when I ask a question it's usually to get an answer, when I ask a question here on mylot I expect to get a wide variety of answers from many different people. I don't post a question to 'debate' now I do know there are people who do post questions for that reason - for debate. I don't like debating so avoid those discussions. Did that answer your question? Do you agree or disagree? Am I going to get mylot bombs thrown at me? LOL love ya dear hope you know I understand totally what your saying.
@debrakcarey (19924)
LOL...I do tend to approach from the debate side of things. I do not mind at all when someone disagrees with me....I feel a good heated disagreement with respect show of course..is very healthy. And I have been known to change my mind if the info and reasoning are good. No bombs...:)
@Trensue (5253)
I guess it depends on the type of question and I suppose it would be wise if we are looking for a debate to go ahead and put it in the title! How about that for an early morning idea?
@debrakcarey (19924)
Good idea! Thanks. :)
@TLChimes (4842)
People amaze me on how open minded they THINK they are until someone starts saying something diffeent to their point of view. I try to listen to every side then take what I can use and leave the rest.
@debrakcarey (19924)
I hesitate to even respond any further. But if I remember correctly...I was not the one who said I would not even read a posted comment. I also am amazed that people think open mindedness means you have to accept every point of view as valid. If the person who replied to my discussion wanted to further discuss the subject I would have gladly discussed it with them. It seems to me...that there was a rejection of MY point of view and a unwillingness to discuss it any further on THEIR part. Especially since they refused to even read my response to them, saying it was information the did not want. I do apologize again...if I said anything to offend. I did not mean to...and if there is no forgiveness forthcoming after I have apologized....I feel I am not the one who is closed minded. I think that when you enter a discussion you should expect disagreement...and to be upset when you have failed to change someone's mind, that that is being closed minded. I allowed for the disagreement and was not trying to be rude nor did I call names or make accusations. Again..I'm sorry for any unintended offense and invite you all to follow my discussions and make up your own minds.
@TLChimes (4842)
I hope this reply isn't directed at me since my responce is in general terms and not at anyone. I do not accept that being open minded means every view is true and correct. Listening and seeing other poeples points isn't the same as taking them as your own. It is just trying to see things from a different view.
@debrakcarey (19924)
Thank you for explaining that. I was feeling a bit overwhelmed and couldn't figure out what I had done to offend anyone. Ever feel that way?
@debrakcarey (19924)
I try to do the same. An open mind does not mean acceptance and agreement. It means listening, considering, and allowing for, differences of opinion. :)
@Trensue (5253)
I didn't mean to cause a huge debate - I just thought I was agreeing that media is biased - water under the bridge.
@debrakcarey (19924)
Ok..all better now. :)
@debrakcarey (19924)
I am sorry if I offended you. I was expressing my opinion as well. I thank you for taking the time to respond to my discussion and am wondering why you made the statement about "vulgar remarks"? If I remember correctly your words. Where you said you would not read it? I wrote what I think. I AM open minded. But that doesn't mean I will agree with what others say all the time. That is what a discussion is. An exchange of ideas...not necessarily always being in agreement. If everyone always agreed then it would be just a mutal admiration society....and nothing would be learned. Thank you for your comment on my discussion. I hope you will reconsider visiting more of my posts. I am not a bad person...really. :)
@Trensue (5253)
I assumed them to be vulgar because I could not view them. Your discussion was not the only one that seemed to be one sided that day and I was grateful to just get off the computer.
@debrakcarey (19924)
I spoke about the subject matter of the letterman joke...used the R word...and the S word...you must have filters. They were not vulgar. Not unless his joke was. I am sorry you felt that way. I hope we can continue to visit one anothers discussions. I really am not as bad as you may think. Thank you for responding.
@maximax8 (28570)
I like to hear others opinions and find that interesting. There are some topics that I feel really strongly against like abortion. I am pro-life but respect what other people think about it. Some people on My Lot start a discussion and get upset if anyone disagrees with their ideas. That when it happens is a shame. I have learned so very much from being on My Lot. Life would be boring if every person was the same.
@Trensue (5253)
Wouldn't it though? It would take all the fun out of people watching and that is one of my favorite activities.
@Sandra1952 (6052)
• Spain
I think some people forget that this is a discussion site and treat it as their personal soap box to force their views on other people. Thankfully, they are in the minority and most of us enjoy our time on Mylot and learn from it, as well as passing on our experiences to others. If I post in a discussion and then get ranted at, I just don't participate in any more of that member's discussions, so in the long run the only person they damage is themselves.
@Trensue (5253)
You are probably correct. I love to learn from others and find it interesting to understand how others think. Thanks for your comments.
@debrakcarey (19924)
So...to have a differing opinion is not allowed here? To discuss things means there will be differing ideas and opinions.