cha cha..... pro or anti?

Somalia
Do you really think that changing the constitution will be bad for our country? Or do you think it's time for change? Are we placing too much power on popular vote that is mostly dictated by, yes, popularity?
@rsa101 (13337)
Actually this plans of changing the constitution has been handed from administration to administration. It started as early as the Ramos administration but until now it still is being stopped by whoever is in the opposition. For me its in the timing the proposal is delivered. It is always when the administration is nearing its end. Why because whoever is seating in Malacanan would benefit from it by extending her term for the transition of the change in the charter. From a presidential form to a parliamentary system of government these would pave way for an extension of term of the one seating in power. I really think that we should start talking about it after the presidential elections. Just to show or prove to the doubting public if the exiting president is sincerely looking for a truly and genuine change of constitution and she is not interested in extending her stay at Malacanan.
• Somalia
I see your point. Now I'm starting to understand all the protests. Perhaps the people could propose the change themselves at the start of the new administration after the next election. Is there a way of doing it this way perhaps?
@rsa101 (13337)
There is a way if congress would agree to it. But for now since Congress is very pro admin we could not do anything about it. They want to pass their version of charter change and hopefully before the term of the president ends. In this manner they could declare the extension of the president's term to pave way for the transition government.
@jules67 (2791)
Changing the constitution is good provided that the provisions to be made are really for the good of the citizenry. We also have to take into consideration the time when they want this. Congressmen are pushing that this be done prior to Presidential Elections which is very inappropriate. All are geared up towards the elections and pushing this is in no way beneficial. Only those with "MOTIVES" will surely benefit from this.
• Somalia
Based from all of you, I see now that all protests are because of wrong timing. I guess the next administration and the next and the next could continue doing this and nothing would come of it because we are always so paranoid about the emergence of a new marcos.
@anneshirley (1517)
Our present constitution was created in haste. Through the years, lawmakers have discovered loopholes in it that's why the creation of different laws are never ending. With the changing times now, it is just right to change our constitution to make it fit to the changing world. However, the corruption in the government hinder this change. While many agrees that we have to change our constitution, many are doubtful of the real intentions of our political men. Why don't they propose the change during the start of their term and not on the end of their term? This action is enough to convince commoners like me that they have good intention in changing the constitution and it is not solely for they good but the good of all Filipinos.
• Somalia
I see your point. Maybe if a separate body, not connected with the administration would propose the change, people might listen, perhaps?
@flaky03 (225)
For these past few decades up to the present time, our political system has in created a bad image in our society from the administration, issues and anomalies about the government's resources and its people in public offices and divergent political views and ideologies. We are in a democratic country and the citizens power dominate. However this domination has lead to abuse of power. Changing the constitution is one of the best ways to correct the flaws and merge the differences. However it was a bad timing for the inclusion of the change of our constitution since the cons had thought this as a strategy for those cons to expand their own power rather than the mass.
• Somalia
Maybe we do. But before anything else, us citizens should also take time to analyze and think before engaging in hasty actions that are almost always mere results of emotional upheavals. It seem to me that the masses almost always act on emotional provocations rather than real logical understanding of the real issues.
@jpso138 (7844)
Well, I think whether we change our system or not, we are going nowhere. We have been with different systems before but clearly we still see the problem. In my point of view, it is not the system that has to be changed but rather the people in the system. We have so many corrupt individuals within our government. So many unexplained wealth. If only the people in position would do their job for the benefit of the people and the country, I am sure that there is no need to change the system. The problem is not with the system but with the people in power.