Picking Peas

Yesterday, when the heat index was 105, can you imagine? We were in the pea field picking peas, for $10.00 a bushel. That was the cheapest that we could get them, and i told my sister, that i was sure they would not last long at that price. We loaded up the pickup, with wet towels, ice and ice chest, drinks, and buckets for picking peas in. It was my sisters idea to use the wet towels on our backs, and to wear caps and hats. Well let me tell you, even with the high heat index, those wet towels were really doing thier job, as well as the hats.
@ANTIQUELADY (36489)
y'all had a hot job. what kind of peas were they. sounds like an awfully good deal on them. I always put peas in the freezer, purple hull peas is what i like. They want be that cheap around here. [tennessee]
We picked purple hull peas. Those things were good too. We have eaten some, as well as canning them. I think he put them on sale, so he could get rid of them quickly. The heat index has been really bad this past week, and most things are just drying up. Even my sister's garden is just wilted by midday, and even with watering it every day, it still wilts down. I even have to go out and spray over my poultry to keep them cooled down.
@ANTIQUELADY (36489)
Good ol' purple hull peas, u can't beat them. They haven't come in here yet. I don't need any in the freezer this year but sure will be having some fresh ones. I know u will enjoy yours. U DEFINIETLY GOT A BARGAIN. HAPPY DAYS TO U. WTACH that heat. I have a friend in NEW BRAUNFELS & she says texas is having some awful weather.
We sure have had some awful weather this year. Very bad, and very hot and dry.
I love the magic of food growing. I went to a tomatoe picking farm. It was so fun to walk along the hundreds or thousands of plants. It was a miracle. Id love to have a small farm like that some day. Good thinking on the wet towels. It gets so hot and that is hard on your body.
Those wet towels, really do the job, that they are meant to do, on a hot day. That is what kept us cooled off enough to stay out there.
@carolscash (9501)
She had a great idea and it paid off. I bet those peas are delicious as I like peas and fresh ones are the best.
My brother in law priced a bushel of peas at another place the next day. The price: 28.00 and he would have to pick them!
YOu are a brave soul to go out there and do that in such temps! But you know you girls were prepared and that's what counts. I hope you enjoyed your peas! I can't wait til mine are ready to pick!
We haven't eaten any yet. My sister canned 19 jars last night, after i came home. I am going over in a few minutes to get out some more jars.
@ladym33 (11008)
Souns like your sister knows her stuff and kept you guys cool in the really hot weather, and keeping you hydrated, that is a lot of peas, and a good deal. Do you have any great recipes for using the peas or do you just use them normally and just use them as a side dish?
I usually add in a little salt (if it needs it) and a little bacon. That is usually all that a good pot of peas needs. We usually just use them as a side dish. And of course, cornbread to go along with them.
@peavey (16473)
That's a great price for peas! There is no place to pick your own around here, or I'd be looking into it, but thank heavens, our weather isn't normally that hot around here. I have a few peas in the garden, but they're late this year and I probably won't get much from them.
I don't think those peas will last much longer in the field either. It was too hot, and the ground too dry. Some were already going to seed. The last ones he planted, i dont think will make either, even though they did have some color showing through.
hi shirley wow fresh peas. I love them well a bushel of peas would'reallybe quite a few wouldnt it, I mean I am familar'with our'bushel baskets here in the uS. 105 and i thought it was hot'at 90 here.oh and picking peas.glad your cooling system worked so you didnt get heat strokes. Hope you dont cook your peas very long'as they lose all that great fresh taste if overcooked. lo lo lol
We only cook our peas until they reach the "done" stage, and then turn them off. Very good peas too.