Do you agree with Obama's political beliefs?

I am a Republican and I don't disagree with Obama on some issues even though he is a Democrat and I am a Republican. I disagree with him on alot, though. What do you think about Barack?
@matersfish (6311)
This is extremely difficult to answer once you break down who you are as a person; what your core beliefs and values are compared to another man who's not JUST another man, but a brilliant magician who can easily make you believe the sky's falling if those particular words bellow out from his golden throat. On the surface, I want nothing more than to agree with and believe in President Obama. I'm as anti-liberal as you could possibly get, but the man has more than charm working in his favor. He exudes this confidence that makes you want to latch on. But beneath the surface, I see little that I agree with. In fact, I'm disgusted with President Obama's actual belief system. He definitely seems to believe that government--while he's head of it, no less--can make better decisions for America than Americans. It's long been a liberal belief that the entire world needs to be child-proofed because no individual can be trusted with personal responsibility, but Obama is taking this to new levels. He seems to want Americans dependent on government. This is scary and dangerous and not something any person in the world should want. Obama, underneath his deep, immaculate rhetoric, is an elitist who feels his interests are more pertinent to your life than your interests. That's vanity. And no matter how much you admire someone, admiration never makes them LESS vain -- only more so. President Obama shares his belief with a select group of people who, while together, feel as if their group of hundreds knows better than our group of 300 million. You can call it what you like, but it ends up the same regardless: Politicians hold every ounce of power and the people are subservient to government rule. Whether or not Obama can "change" things for the better is irrelevant. His political beliefs are that politicians--officials ELECTED by the people--know better than other people in ALL areas, private, public and otherwise. For that reason, every other belief he holds is tainted. His core, fundemental belief that Americans cannot make decisions in their own best interest means that every other belief he has is just a spawn of that unholy, gargantuan mother. So, no -- no matter how much I'd like to; no matter how much his voice and swagger tries to draw me in, I just can't agree with his political beliefs. As a man, as an individual, as an American, it's just not in my best interest.
It sounds like you are projecting your fear of being told what to do onto him. The platform he is supporting is more about insuring freedom by removing obstacles and creating a better arena in which to face those freedoms (from his point of view). The overriding belief system you are projecting on him is therefore incorrect and you should reevaluate your position from there. In a Republic, the elected officials are required to act in the best interest of their constituients by being more knowledgable. The Republic set-up is defacto "elitist". You won't find many politicians who do not think they know what is best for the public. So, unless you are an opponent of the Republic form of government, your criticism of him on those grounds is also questionable. Just say you don't like taxes and don't like paying for programs to help others in need and don't try to make another person sound bad for opposing your values.
Good try. Thought out. Well enough written. But more than a little off base. You seem to agree with his spending and his far-reaching government hand. That's no secret. You've even said that spending trillions during a recession is "textbook economics" (paraphrased) elsewhere. The fact that I do not feel this way is in no way a projection of my fears of "being told what to do," although that fear does exist. It is not the government's role--and I don't care how many booby traps you try to set with your "Republic" rhetoric--to expand, seize control of private industry, and dictate wholly the terms of business, energy, water and food, among other things. Where has this large government idea ever worked? I've read people saying, as I mentioned above, that a lot of this is "textbook." Where? Books on theory? It's not books on Russia is it? I hope not. Maybe Canada or the UK and their brilliant situations? You got me; I give up! Back to the serious side of things. I'm also in no way making him out to be a "bad person" for not sharing my particular ideology. If the answer to every dissenting opinion is psychobabble, that says a lot more about you than I. Everyone disagreeing with you fears the Red? Is that what you're getting at? Does that mean you long for it then? As a friend of mine would say, "It sounds like j-school's out again."
@heathcliff (1415)
The platforms he has unveiled are based on economic and social need right now. He hasn't taken as strong a stand against invasion of privacy as I would like, but his attempts to make America more of a partner to the world than a bully, almost make up for it. Only time will tell how well we really would get along.