What is Barbie trying to say!?!

@freedomg (1684)
OK I so wish I could have gotten a picture on here of this but I didn't so please bear with me on the description. I was in walmart when my oldest daughter pointed out a disturbing Barbie bag to me. It was a cute little pink bag with the traditional 1950's style glamor barbie girl on it then there was a statement on it "When you look this good who cares if you are plastic". What is that supposed to mean. I'm sorry I know they were probably only referring to the fact that the doll is plastic but come on that is not what comes to my mind nor anyone in my families when you read this. In today's society hen there is so much pressure for these little girls to turn into super models and with plastic surgery quickly becoming the norm I think we should be making statements that encourage girls to be happy with who they are and how they look just as they are. What do you think and would you ever buy a little girl a bag like this one?
@mentalward (14695)
I'm shocked, freedom! Was this a real Barbie bag or something that just looked like Barbie? If it's truly from the manufacturers of Barbie, then they've gone down to the bottom of the barrel, in my opinion! That is just WRONG! There's no way I'd ever buy that for any of my young female relatives! That is promoting falseness! I hope there's a HUGE stink about this and it heads right to the Barbie company! This even makes me want to wrap up the three Barbie dolls I have and ship them right back to the company, with a note saying that I never want to even HEAR of them or their incredibly bad taste again. If I were you, I'd even write to WalMart and tell them exactly how I feel about that bag! As a matter of fact, I think I'll do it, anyway. If enough people complain, WalMart will drop that company in a flash! They're notorious for giving the people what they want, if nothing else and if the companies they buy from aren't up to WalMart's very high standards, they'll stop selling Barbie products. That would be a HUGE slap in the face for the manufacturers of Barbie! Thank you for posting this, freedom. It's put an entirely new light on the Barbie industry for me. I never did like the disproportionate Barbie dolls, anyway, but this... I'm angry now! Yeah, I think I'll write some letters!
@mentalward (14695)
Barbie Bag - Here's the bag. Thought I'd post it so everyone could see what it looks like.
I found a picture of the bag and thought I'd post it so everyone can see exactly what you're talking about. At least I learned that Barbie is made by Mattel. Now I know where to start my letter-writing campaign!
@freedomg (1684)
You found it! Thank you. I think you are right it is worthy of some letters being written. I was thinking that posting blogs about it would get a few ladies up in arms about it and maybe alert people, but I should write to the store and manufacturer. Any one wishing to join would help too so please voice you r thoughts on this.
• Omagh, Northern Ireland
It does look like Authentic Barbie Merchandising with the little 50 Years Tag..does it mention Mattel or "Approved" by them anywhere? If it does,definitely voice your concerns to Mattel on this.Even if it's not official Merchandising,They should know about this!
@bjcyrix (6910)
 Barbie Shopper Bag - Inspired by classic imagery taken from the Mattel archives, it showcases vintage Barbie in all her old school glory, complete with vampish features and super chic clothes. We love the fact that it's a new take on the doll we all know and love!

It features a plastisol print of the fabulous little lady herself along with a decorative black and white flower print for added style points. You'll also notice an embroidered satin patch which reads 'When you look this good, nobody cares if you're plastic!' Too true! With pillarbox red handles for a contrasting look, this little show stopper really is a fab buy, especially when we all know that a woman can never have too many bags! Measuring approx 16" x 13", it's roomy enough for all life's essentials.
I do love statement t-shirts and I might wear something with that kind of expression given the right situation and the opportunity, being a bit of a smarty pants among friends but out in public and on a Barbie bag..? One, I dont like Barbie apparel, much less if Id get to wear them. Two, Im not into pink items. Three, Barbie might be an icon for females in general but the demographic of Barbie would be children to tweens. There might be some Barbie items that are for the older generation but combining a very serious statement like that with an icon for young girls, well, I think most young girls will take the statement seriously and support it 'because Barbie says so.' Most young girls are not that mature enough to understand what connotations such expressions might mean. Anyway, I wont buy a young girl this bag and I might even steer her away from it before she sees it. However, if I had a shallow friend(whom I fully accept, and she knows how she is but she's still nice..just shallow) I just might give her that bag just for kicks. Hmm, I looked it up and actually found something similar to the bag that you might be referring to. Its for sale and here is the link: http://www.truffleshuffle.co.uk/store/barbie-shopper-bag-p-1586.html I also attached a photo of the embroidered expression of the bag below.
@bjcyrix (6910)
Oops, sorry for the double post. My connection is whacked again.
@bjcyrix (6910)
my current primary phone - 
Technical specifications
Expand all Collapse all
Key features
Key features

* Capture images and video with a 1.3 megapixel camera and admire your moments on a 2” QVGA display.
 * Listen to your music or the radio while on the move with an integrated music player and FM radio.
 * Record your favourites from FM radio (available in selected regions only)
 * Share images, videos, and ringtones via Bluetooth or GPRS connections.
 * Keep in contact with SMS, MMS, email, and Nokia Xpress Audio Messaging.

Operating frequency
Operating frequency

* Dual-band EGSM 900/1800
 * Dual-band GSM 850/1900

Size
Size

* Volume: 54 cc
 * Weight: 74 g (with battery)
 * Length: 106 mm
 * Width: 46 mm
 * Thickness: 11 mm
Oops, sorry for the double post. My connections is whacked again. Well, its either that or with myLot..
@freedomg (1684)
Oh My Goodness! That is a whole second bag with the same saying on it. Mental ward posted a picture of the one I saw in the post above yours.This is twisted are they running a whole line of things with this saying on it? I am going to have to look into this some more. Thank you for finding this and for sharing it with us. While I really don't like the bags because of the age group that would be buying it, this prankster in me loves your idea or giving it as a gag gift. I know a few people that it would be perfect for. I'm not going to buy it because I refuse to encourage this ( and I'm not saying you shouldn't I will not judge others) but it would have been too funny. I also love the statement t- shirts. I make them at home too, I made one for my daughter that says "I'm just one big friggin ray of sunshine ain't I" and it has a picture of a cranky faced sun on it. That's fine at home or around the right people like you said but not where it could spread harmful images to young girls. You are very right in this. Thanks again for posting.
I find it strange that the company have decided to print something like that onto a bag. No, it is not the right message at all and I would never buy a little girl and bag with that written on it, however I am sure a lot of people must be, especially with a company like Barbie attached to it. Hopefully, with Barbie being the company it is, the girls who own the bags wont read too far into it and will only understand it on the basis of a Barbie being plastic!
@freedomg (1684)
Let's hope you are right on that. But I am still going to try and get these bags off the shelves. Companies need to be made to make responsible choices not just put out what ever they think will get them the most $. Thank you for the post and I hope you have a wonderful day.
@Ldyjarhead (10157)
Good gracious! I can't think of a single positive thing about a product like that. Was it being sold in the toy department, targeting little girls? That's insane! Even if they meant the doll, what's up with that? A plastic doll is better than real people? What?
@freedomg (1684)
Yes this was on display in two places in the toy department, why two I have no idea. And get this there appears to be a second version of this the picture is posted in the comments above yours if you want to look at it. Thanks for sharing and have a great day.
@hanah87 (1846)
It mean to ask little girl to be beautiful like barbie too and then don't care if they use plastic surgery to change their natural face or body.It is a bad message and should not be allow sell to all girls.I will not buy the bag or good that has wrong or bad message to my future children.
@freedomg (1684)
You know that they proved at one point that if Barbie was a real girl with those dementions she could not stand up on her own. Barbie has been an unrealistic role model for a very long time. I am sure that when you have kids you will do a great job from the way you sound. Thank you for posting.
@cher913 (25889)
that is horrible. i am fortunate that my daughters are a little older but even clothing for my 12 year old is horrible. they cover very little and expect them to wear these things? i would much rather shop at a thrift store. as for the bag, i think you should contact the makers of barbie and make your feelings known.
@freedomg (1684)
Yeah I feel your pain in the cloths department they are making thongs for 12 year old girls. I lost my mind when I saw those. I have pretty strict rules on cloths in my house at that goes for what is worn over here by other kids. We have a neighborhood girl that is soooo sweet and pretty and all around wonderful, but she used to come over with half of her booty showing. We started telling her that she had to come back when she has some real cloths on. I have a 16 year old son that would go retarted the second she walked into the door dressed like that, and then there are also a lot of kids here and I don't want them thinking that dressing like that is ok. She and I had a sit down and I did tell her that she was way to special to be settling for the type of attention she will get from people when she dresses like that and that by covering up a bit more she will find that the attention she will get will be more of the kind she deserves, respectful. I am trying to learn how to sew, I need to get a machine this hand sewing is tough, so that I can make the kids cloths or at least make them more acceptable. Thank you for sharing your thoughts on this and happy mylotting.
@ShepherdSpy (8562)
• Omagh, Northern Ireland
I think whoever came up with this bag slogan went a little overboard on the irony of that statement if it was intended for a child..Can you tell Me does this bag come from the toy department display alongside where the dolls would be, like you'd expect a little girl to have,or is it something a teen/Young Woman who may have owned a Barbie in Her Childhood might consider fun from the ladies accessories department? When You describe it as being retro looking,I'm thinking it might be aimed more at young Women than little girls,but at the same time,the insinuation of plastic surgery an adult might consider ironic may be a bit OTT for them too! Like you say,a bit disturbing,especially for a child..
@freedomg (1684)
It was in two end cap displays in the toy department, so they were trying to sell them to the kids. I looked for it in the teen department too but it wasn't there. I agree that who ever came up with this one went overboard.Thanks for the post and have a good day.
@jayrene (2712)
that is really crazy and disturbing too. it's not a message for girls, why did they put something like that? i will not buy anything that has something that will send wrong message to my kids. no wonder some of our little ones today either they act not their age by trying to look older, they get pregnant at a very early age too.
@freedomg (1684)
Thank you I am glad to hear others think that it was inappropriate. I wasn't sure if I was just being a prude by being so shocked. It sounds like any kids you raise are in good hands. Happy mylotting
@bjcyrix (6910)